How is nihilism even a philosophy? It's not a conviction, not knowledge. You're not contributing or helping anymore...

How is nihilism even a philosophy? It's not a conviction, not knowledge. You're not contributing or helping anymore, just proclaiming that nothing really matress like a dumb cunt who gave up. It's just a smug admission of one's own ignorance. Being retarded is not a form of genius.

But like nothing even matters.... dude...

your definition of philosophy is retarded

i agree with you

and of nihilism.

That's a comfy looking mattress.

There is no such thing as general nihilism. Nihilism is a term that is always applied in negation of a certain thing. For example, moral nihilism is a meta-ethical stance that denies the idea that things can be moral or immoral. Existential nihilism is a stance that denies meaning and the possibility thereof in life.

In the case of the latter, which you seem to be referring to, the idea that it can be dismissed because it does not adhere to the doctrine 'all philosophical stances should contribute or help someone or something' is pretty silly since you approach nihilistic stances in some sort of utilitarian or other moral framework with which they are per definition not compatible.

Sounds like you got triggered user.

"Nihilism" isn't meant to be some guide to live nor does the existence of nihilism indicate one has "given up" or some spooky shit like that.

Things have no intrinsic value. Me being murdered has no greater significance than a bug being killed. Everything you consider sacred will vanish. The people, the art, the ideas, all these things are just a blip in the grand scope of the universe and they, along with the entirety of the human race will one day disappear and be forgotten.

I accept this and go about my day.

>Me being murdered has no greater significance than a bug being killed
Yet something tells me you'd rather have the bug killed.
Hmmmm, really makes you think, eh

holy... I want more desu

>preferences imply universal values

Do you think nihilists can't have favourite ice cream flavours, user?

>Me being murdered has no greater significance than a bug being killed.
Define significance. Who are you to assign significance to anything, or deny it?

>the idea that it can be dismissed because it does not adhere to the doctrine 'all philosophical stances should contribute or help someone or something' is pretty silly
The fuck else would you need a philosophical system for?

>Hi, mate, what's your profession?
>I'm a carpenter
>Really? Thats amazing, can you show me some of the furniture you made?
>No, I never really made anything.
>What?! Why would you call yourself a carpenter then?
>Well, you see, after thinking about it long and hard, I realised that the destruction of forests for the sake of creating chairs and tables isn't really worth the trouble. So I refuse to do that. I'm still a carpenter though, in fact, you can say that I solved carpentry for everyone. Please praise my carpenting efforts.

That's nihilism

Nice try, but I'd bet that if you asked 10 000 self proclaimed nihilists the same question, 9999 of them would prefer to squash a bug, and the 10000th one shits himself and foams from his mouth. It's safe to say that it's not just 'a preference'

A bunch of people agreeing on something does not make it a universal value, it just makes it a widely shared preference. There is no number of adherents where preference magically turns into universal value.

>all objects fall down as they're thrown up
>gravity isn't real, it's just Earth's preference

>You're not contributing or helping anymore, just proclaiming that nothing really matress like a dumb cunt who gave up.
I see what you did there

Except there are no cases of the ball not falling down. But there are tons of exceptions in values.

suicidal people confirmed for defying the laws of gravity

Not all people prefer to go on living so that's an incorrect analogy.

Earth is just a local sample! You can't prove that gravity works everywhere! Just a preference!

You can point to exceptions to every "universal value" though. There are no known exceptions to gravity.

Gravity as we know it may very well be local to our universe.

Places where the law of gravity works differently have yet to be discovered though, whereas people who don't value their life are quite prevalent.

This thread reminds me of the time when your mom asked me what my favorite color was and I said that having a favorite color is objectively meaningless and therefore, as a nihilist, I cannot possibly have one. Then I thoroughly annihilated her pussy, as is my duty.

Noice

what would the bug prefer tho?

Name one philosopher that advocates nihilism.

Is Absurdism the best way to describe this way of thinking? Camus' kind rather than Kierkegaard's.

You become aware of nihilism and find things to move onwards with, you do not practice nihilism.

You're all retarded.

Genuine question from a pseud here: Why, if you "acknowledge" nihilism would it not enter into practice? If I "acknowledge" the truth of Christianity (as an example, let's say) and then continue going about my day as if nothing happened, aren't I just living a lie and disadvantaging myself? Is the same not true of a nihilist?

What sort of personal ethics would a someone who "acknowledges" nihilism subscribe to? Is it possible to justify anything other than hedonism/egoism in a nihilistic system?

>Being retarded is not a form of genius.

Replace "real" with "univesral" and basically yes. Also there are objects that have been sent up in the air, left Earth and never returned, ya doofus.

Except Philosophy doesn't produce anything of value whereas Carpentry is a labor profession which produces a physical thing with value. Pretty terrible analogy.

When you stare at the abyss, the abyss stares back mate. The realization that nothing subscribes to an universal answer or value changes how one looks at the world.
In a nihilistic "system" no action is "justified." The ethics don't matter, therefore the choice egoism or altruism makes no difference. It comes down to the question of what would you rather do while you remain in this world before passing onto nonexistence.

>Categorical Imperative: Pleasure

How are you even a human?

>In which user learns the difference between objective absolutes and subjective preferences

Pretty terrible judgement on philosophy there, newfriend

this.

I didn't know someone could be so wrong.