War is hell

What are the best war books /lit =

War & Peace is pretty good

already read is amazing

Band of brothers, voyage au bout de la nuit, thin red line - so I've heard but stopped reading at blowing each other in a tent part, didn't like it much. One of Coetzee stories about war in RSA don't remember the name, maybe it was Foe? Sturm by Junger.

Anything by Andy McNab

Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence

On the Marble Cliffs by Junger is his take on later 20th century "war"
Matterhorn
Vaino Linna's Unknown Soldiers

Catch-22

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer is a good memoir about a German soldier on the Eastern Front during World War Two.

war & war

Is James Jones Veeky Forums

(James Jones)

I thought you were talking about David Jones and my joke failed terribly.

All quiet on the western front

Johnny got his gun

Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the Undoing of Character by Jonathan Shay
Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence
World War II by James Jones
Dispatches by Michael Herr
Dulce et Decorum Est by Wilfred Owen
The Face of Battle by John Keegan
Goodbye, Darkness by William Manchester
Guadalcanal by Richard Frank
James Jones: A Friendship by Willie Morris
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
War Poems by Siegfried Sassoon
The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
War Poems by Siegfried Sassoon
You Can’t Go Home Again by Thomas Wolfe

And despite the unease caused by his immense popularity, Dan Carlin used to have some lists around of his recommendations that are all around solid

My diary desu

War and War (war and peace) seemed a lot of war and little love and peace. Would be better if someone changed the names to...Joe Smith and Jane Doe, anything but 25 letter names that seemed the same. What a bore, but he wrote a short one about an angry old man that I enjoyed, but it was war inside him.

Coetzee is the man.

The Iliad

made me giggle ty user

ive never been really into str8 up war novels but more around literary responses to war, if youre into that too, then i suggest:

slaughterhouse v - vonnegut
americana/the naked lunch - don delilo
catch 22 - joseph heller

currently reading this, very interesting ideas and well worth the effort of reading (i say that because the book is littered with obscure references on an unclear narrative structure)

War is fucking boring with 1% chance of hell. Most soldiers never even see combat, or even the enemy.

Shattered Sword by Jonathan Parshall is basically the definitive work on Midway right now, and debunks a lot of commonly held beliefs that resulted from usage of inaccurate Japanese sources.

Ordinary Men by Christopher R. Browning.

The Coldest Winter by David Halberstam. It'll make you hate MacArthur.

That's why books focus on the 1%

T H E I L I A D