What are the tride and true keys to a great meatloaf? I say use organic ketchup, for my tip

What are the tride and true keys to a great meatloaf? I say use organic ketchup, for my tip

And try not to make it greasy!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sauce
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A tablespoon of Worchestershire sauce mixed in. Diced green peppers and onions are required, not optional.

this but i say sautée the peppers and onions first

also painting it a few times periodically with ketchup or bbq sauce (if that's what you're into) while it's cooking will give it a sexy sleek crust.

about a half hour before you would take it out, brush it with ketchup every 10 minutes in the oven

tride?

Probably gonna try this, I always just put some on before putting in the oven and called it there.
Tried.

I've never made meatloaf, but wouldn't brown sauce work well instead of ketchup?

>organic ketchup
Is this to avoid it being overly sweet with HFCS or to needlessly pay more for ketchup?

What on earth is brown sauce? Which brown sauce are you referring to?

Probably would be pretty good. Some people do gravy instead of ketchup.

Ground Ritz crackers >>> bread crumbs

Britbong condiment. Most similar thing we have in the US is AI steak sauce.

Grate onion and garlic, use a microplaner on the garlic if you need to.
Squeeze most of the liquid out of the grated onion, reserve for use for steamed vegetables if you really hate waste.
Don't mix salt into the meat, lightly salt the outside after forming the loaf.
Do this and this

HEALTHY TASTEY LOAF

Lean meat
-------------------stuff--------------------------------------
Sage
Egg
Chives (fresh cut)
Minced onion(almost a globby paste)
Pinch of sugar
Ketchup/Katsup (the vinegar ketchup)
3 saltines crush up to a fine powder.
------------------------------------------------------------

Mix stuff up into one unit then mix into meat
WIN

A couple of pro-tips:

1. Use a loaf pan to form the loaf, but take it out before cooking it. This allows the grease to drain away.
2. Season well before forming the loaf and allow it to sit for at least an hour. The salt denatures proteins so that the loaf will hold together better

Here is my recipe (well, ingredients). It is based on a Paula Dean recipe.

2 lb ground beef
1 Tbl Weber Gourmet Burger Seasoning
1 Tbl Lea and Perrins
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced bell pepper
2 eggs, beaten
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes w/ juice
0.75-1.25 cup panko

That is the base. Feel free to add celery, etc.
The amount of panko depends on how much veg you use and whether you sweat the veg first.

I then make a glaze from ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, cider vinegar, lea and perrins, etc.

why would you add ketchup to a meatloaf?
serious question, i don't get it. i always eat my meatloaf with just potatoes, either mashed or boiled

Adds a tangy contrast.

really? i thought people were referring to espagnole sauce or like brown gravy when they said brown sauce.

Rest it before cutting so that it absorbs the juices and isn't dry.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sauce

>Don't mix salt into the meat
Congrats on making your 2 lb burger patty.
You season the outside of a burger patty instead of mixing in the salt to avoid getting a meatloaf / sausage texture. When making meatloaf, or charcuterie en general, you mix in the salt.

stale bread soaked in buttermilk

trust me

>I say use organic ketchup, for my tip

I say don't use fucking ketchup. Rub some brown sugar on top of it instead.

Also put leek and cheese in the center.

This guy is on the right track. The rest of you are dead wrong.

First, what you should do, if you wish to experiment with your loaf, is try different cuts of meat. Maybe 1 part ground beef and 1 part ground pork, or even have a butcher grind you up some veal. And breadcrumbs are retarded. I don't know where this meme began but bread soaked in milk is way better. It adds tons of flavor and texture to meatloaf, as well as meatballs. Similarly, you could treat your loaf as if it were balls. Add some basil, oregano, grated cheese etc.,

i personally dont do the ketchup/steak sauce thing, I like to make a cream sauce with lardons, caramelized onions, and herbs. maybe some mushrooms

Huh, and I thought everyone used ketchup. It seems so common.

I don't use it myself, we put tomato sauce into the mix.

It tastes better if it's not mixed in. I don't care what the "proper" methodology is, if another way makes it taste better I'm going to do it wrong every time.

Line the bottom with white bread to absorb grease. Don't eat it tho, it's gross.

Try tomatoe paste....much more flavorful. I use 2-3tbs and add in after cooking 1 onion 1 Carrot and 1celery in 2 tbs butter til soft. Panko or crushed crackers better then bread crumbs. And ALWAYS SEASON AS YOU GO. Salt brings out flavor. Dont be scared of it people.

>tride

Do Americans really spell like this?

If you like ketchup topping try using a can of manwich.

Alright, guess I will bring the secret of meatloaf down from mt Olympus like a modern day Prometheus. Use this instead of catsup.

Frosted meatload if an unnecessary yet impressive dish for company.

>linking the mobile site