This is the worst board on Veeky Forums. Not /b/, which is dead, not /a/...

This is the worst board on Veeky Forums. Not /b/, which is dead, not /a/, and all of its mouthbreathing basement-dwellers, not /r9k/ and all of its whiny depressed losers, but this. The board with the underlying feeling of "I'm so special because I read books" while barely understanding anything about them. Yeah you try to cover yourself with ironic jokes, and little buddy-buddy “ironic" remarks and memes, but I know you think you're smart and superior and "cultured" for reading books. You don't understand anything about the importance of art. Oh maybe you like a few phrases here and there, and get a little tingle occasionally, but you ultimately use art for yourself. Because you think it adds an interesting side to your personality. You love thinking about having read books, but have no idea of what their actual significance is. You probably enjoy saying that "the prose is good." You act all innocent, telling yourself and trying to give off the impression that you don't take yourself too seriously, that books are just a fun hobby for you.. And you are what is killing literature, you and your ignorant, self-aggrandizing whoring of one of the only secular means of saving the human soul. You would probably take a picture of yourself reading your book with a nice little "sophisticated" cup of coffee, a "cultured" cigarette in your hand, if it didn't come across as so obviously desperate. Oh you're self-aware enough to know that, so you instead post on Veeky Forums, to your little internet friends, where you can tell each other how fucking smart you are, how fucking special you are for reading books. But look at how "self-aware" we are! We don't post pictures on instagram of us reading books! We don't talk about books with other people that much either, because we're not REAL pseuds! When all in all, you're led by the same attention seeking impulse. You read to gain attention, that's it. You read with the same impulse as a gymrat who only does arms and chest. You don't want growth, you don't want strength. You want people to see you as strong, to see you as the image you're trying to shape. You think you're so aware and thoughtful, but you are all shallow, shallow people.

you made a good point thanks

I bet you think video games are art

how does it make you feel that this is posted once every week and nothing ever changes? Stop looking for an online lit board to be your father

i just like literature, guy.

lel look at this angry faggot shit

that was poorly written

not that I read it

who'd bother with such swill

I just like books though
Also I came here looking for good reads... all I found was infinite jest and Pynchon threads...

Hey man, I just got here!

>Love reading books all my life
>Find this place, think there might be some actual discussion

I have given up

Leave

B8

Can I get a quick rundown on this?

This. I read because it's fun.

Good thread

k

This could have been good bait if you didnt spend so much effort on it. You played yourself.

Pasta or not, I genuinely feel pity for whoever wrote and/or copied it, especially if they thought they were making a point.

I discuss book s user

'Look for the readers'
-Booker T Rogers

there can only be so many serious discussion threads, but if you haven't stumbled onto any it's probably because you haven't tried

iunno, it's shit but I'd prolly put it at worst on par with /ic/, /ic/ is truly a waste of a board

You're not wrong. Most people on this board are underage and the rest are people who haven't read shit until they turned 18 and realized they're wasting their life playing video games

altough you're not completely incorrect, you should keep in mind that everyone has to start somewhere.

also 'fake it til you make it' is pretty much the best advise there is.

Wow, this is the thread I always wanted to make but never did because English is not my first language. Thank you OP, my esteem for you.

Cry me a fucking river you whiney baby.

Someone must be feeling left out.

every author inherently has to be pretentious about their thoughts, just to write them down and try to get them published.

if you actually believed in the power of books as "secular means of saving the human soul", you'd be happy people were reading anything, anything at all, for any reason. but you, or whoever wrote this post, just want to feel superior in the exact same way you criticize this board for.

truly forces one to ponder

Is this a new pasta? And if it isn't, does anyone have the original?

Can we have this thread stickied?

Not sure if OP genuinely wrote that mass of autistic drivel or if it's a pasta I haven't seen.

>The board with the underlying feeling of "I'm so special because I read books"
>but I know you think you're smart and superior and "cultured" for reading books.
That's funny because I rarely feel that on Veeky Forums, aside from obvious shitposting. Also you contradict yourself when you write that and then write:
>You act all innocent, telling yourself and trying to give off the impression that you don't take yourself too seriously, that books are just a fun hobby for you..

>You love thinking about having read books, but have no idea of what their actual significance is.
You should have written
>You love thinking about reading books
that would be more fitting. Having so many books you don't know where to begin is more appropriate for Veeky Forums than what you wrote. The second part makes no sense.

>And you are what is killing literature
Literature has been "dead" for a couple of decades, my man.

>You read to gain attention, that's it.
If that were the case the board would be dead and we would all be on goodreads or whatever other book website where one can actually whore out. To say anons on Veeky Forums read for attention makes no sense, because every single post on Veeky Forums is, by virtue of the website's design, given attention. This isn't like your home site reddit.

>You read with the same impulse as a gymrat who only does arms and chest
That would imply most anons talk about literature in real life.

>You don't want growth, you don't want strength. You want people to see you as strong, to see you as the image you're trying to shape.
Do you believe this because of the meme threads about "how to make people notice me reading in public" etc.?

To me, reading is kind of like reaching out in pitch black. You're trying to get a grasp of what you're dealing with, but it eludes you despite getting a feel for it every once in a while. And then comes that book where at some point while reading the entire room lights up and you truly gain something almost immediately. That's why you can read a book several times throughout many years and gain something every time. That's what builds growth and strength. The way you write about literature and reading it sounds like you believe that either one "understands" a book or not. Like there is some kind of key to every book that unlocks everything in it and it magically makes you more of a person than before. That's retarded.

You should try posting that block of shit you wrote on reddit and see what they reply with, because there some of the points in your post have actual merit.

i made a fun thread once
it got deleted

shut the fuck up piece of shit

>actually greentexting and replying to every sentence in the OP
you are just as autistic, retard

too long, didn't read.

I only started reading books because there was nothing else for me to do in juvy. The concerns of other people didn't really matter, actually, I was the only one who ever used the library so impressing people would have summed up to a great deal of nothing.

>be in a room by yourself reading Dostoevsky trying to impress all the imaginary bitches thirsty for my shallow dick

overall sick thread my dude. sorry if my newfag is showing.