Canon: brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. White skin was never specified. Rowling loves black Hermione

>Canon: brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. White skin was never specified. Rowling loves black Hermione
What did she mean by this?

>tfw most famous authors have been people of color
Fuck Trump. Fuck white people.

That 'canon' is a subject that concerns only the basest of basement-dwellers.

She chose to partake in some liberal virtue signalling by suggesting Hermione might have been black rather than admit to what was clearly her conception throughout the books which was that Hermione was white. Pretty obvious why she said it, doesnt really cheapen the works but does make me think less of her

Original book covers show all three as white.

Book covers aren't canon

I advise you fascists to consider your posts in this thread VERY carefully before you make them.

AHAHAHA

She Wants Liberal Brownie Points. And she is willing to destroy her own series to get them.

>brownie points

Heh

they done fucked up with the character of lavander brown who was a black girl for a couple of movies but when she became important to the plot they replaced her with a blue eyed blondie

yes they are

ebin:DDDDDDDDDD

>very clever
nah, not black

Is that supposed to be Molly Weasley?

The bigger point here is that her skin colour wasn't a defining trait, and irrelevant to Hermione's character.

see

You need to go back

>>>

You need to go back
>>>/reddit/

I didn't realise not being a bigot was exclusive to reddit.

>If you don't agree with me you are a bigot
Yeah, go back already.

I'm willing to believe that on average, white people are smarter than black people. I haven't personally researched it because I don't care. However, claiming that no black person can be smart is just bullshit. Just like saying no white person can be retarded, as you have so kindly demonstrated.

This.

Instead of implying Hermione's skin was not specified, and could have been black all along, she should have said she wrote her thinking of her as white and that there is not a problem in making her black later on in a new work. It's less racist and more to the point.

Now, because she put it the way she did, racists can seek for hints that Hermione was white in the books and they will sure find them. Since in her saying she already authorizes her own works as source for the debate on Hermione's skin, the racists are also authorized in their interpretation.

She should have went "She was white in the books, now she is black in the theater, but what of it?" There is nothing compromised.

>very clever
You seem to be agreeing that given Hermione was very smart it is highly likely that she was written with a white character actor in mind? No one is claiming there can not be smart black people, just that the likelihood that Hermione was white is fairly high.

I'm certain that Hermione was written with a white character in mind. I agree totally with this user here I'm arguing that Hermione being white was not important to her character.

If there is a connection between whiteness and higher intelligence, which you seem to not mind, then it isn't a stretch to say that if her intelligence is important to her character, then so is her race.

Harry Potter fucking sucks. Who cares?

Well first off, I don't know if there is a connection or not. But let's say that I am sure, then it's still no because as we've both agreed, it is possible for highly intelligent black people to exist, meaning that race is not the sole variable that decides intelligence.

But it still remains a significant one nonetheless.

Doesn't matter if it is or isn't significant. The fact that highly intelligent black people can exist makes that argument null and void. Her skin colour is still not a defining trait.

>Hermione being white was not important to her character
If you assume that magic community is totally colorblind. Which seems unlikely but possible, of course.

Good point. Given that the Harry Potter series doesn't touch on racism (between humans at least), I'd say it's fairly inconsequential.

I'm thinking if they have mudbloods and purebloods then they probably have race realists as well, those who can recognise a dindu for its traits.

You autists are getting worked up about a children's book.

The thing is that Rowling's prose isn't colorblind. She brings up Angelina and Kingsley's skin color when they're introduced and half of the times they're mentioned. Everyone else is white by default unless they have a foreign-sounding name.

>Given that the Harry Potter series doesn't touch on racism
I know what you meant by this, but the way you phrased it makes it seem as if you're oblivious to the fact that the whole series is a thinly veiled metaphor for racism :P

It's also possible that the issue of being a "pure-blood" is treated as much more important than being white, given that there apparently are wizards in Africa. In which case Hermione being mudblood would totally overshadow her being black, yes.

They have fairly extreme views regarding the other schools. It's not hard to imagine that it isn't only a school pride thing, but a matter of foreign nationalities being sub-standard in their eyes. Race is just one step away.

Yeah sorry, I meant racism between ethnic groups (do mudbloods and purebloods count as ethnic groups?), I should have made that clearer.

The problem here is assuming she treats this as a serious debate and not just racists finding an excuse to bang on with their identity politics.

If it was vitally important and possible that internet racists be defeated through logical argument, you'd have a point.

Although it does get my goat that she legitimised the word 'canon'.

>If you care about your identity and aren't a member of an approved leftist group then you are a racist

How do you get from 'caring about your identity' to 'complaining that a black actress plays a character'?

Complaining that a white actor plays a minority character is a thing, you know

I'm asking about the actual subject of this thread, though. Can you maybe try answering the question?

There are also cases like the musical Hamilton in which they specifically take a white group of people and cast them as minorities.

Don't forget what happened with Hermione happened with Annie. Black people need to create their own characters instead of jumping onto roles that were cast as white due to intentional thought, such as J.K Rowling's thinking of Hermione as white.

Who cares, in 20 years no one will even know what a "Harry Potter" is

>tfw I will never be able to create something that lasts

Don't even worry about it, JK. You've got piles of money and that's what really counts.

No its the cowardly teacher guy of defense of black magic or whatever the fuck that subject was

Spitting image.

Imagine the Harry Potter films but Emma Watson wearing blackface the whole way through.

No one has a problem with the character being portrayed as black in other media, regardless of whether she was originally white. It's the fact that Rowling quite clearly bent to the will of SJW's.

But, as another user once said on the subject: "what was she going to do, say she says niggers?"

She got mad about the horrible play she pretended she was involved with getting criticized, and said something clearly bullshit, that's all. Making Hermione black in the books would have been brilliant: it would have added nasty levels to Draco calling her "mudblood," explained her SPEW crusade motivation in more interesting ways, kept the parallels between Death-Eaters and Nazis crisp, etc. But Rowling didn't make her black in the books or in her drawings or anywhere else until the play decided to diversify their cast. Not really important, but a bit silly.

So many psued autistis in this thread, why do you read such utter garbage

>>

thanks for showing up 3 hours after the last post to give your opinion :)

agreed. it's not a bad choice at all, but it's quite obvious in the context of the books that hermione is not black. that's what bothers me personally, that she insists she was written ambiguously enough originally to be black. no, she wasn't, but it's cool that someone else is doing it now

it's a non-problem. this is in reference to the single black actress playing hermione in that one single live theatre play. she was excusing the faulty casting team.

also
>harry potter