So my therapist recently advised me to "restrict" my self-awareness and take life "less seriously" to overcome my...

So my therapist recently advised me to "restrict" my self-awareness and take life "less seriously" to overcome my depression and existential crises. She thinks I lack the mental mechanism which prevents a young man from becoming too intelligent, too soon. I can't say I disagree, but I am also very hesitant to impose any restrictions on my intellect or the profound self-awareness it allows me to experience on a near-constant basis.

Has anyone else ever struggled with a dilemma like this?

Either I continue to be extremely intelligent, self-conscious, mentally liberated yet depressed or I resign myself to an extended period of intellectual mediocrity, willed ignorance and contentment. My therapist has been in the profession for some thirty years altogether, and she tells me that I am the only young person she has ever come across who struggles with such intense mental turmoil at such a young age. I told her I have always been a precocious individual but she insists that this isn't just a case of me being precocious, but rather a case (so she tells me) of me being so intelligent at such a young age that my brain has insufficient means, due to my neurobiology being underdeveloped for the type of thoughts and cognitive functioning I experience, that I am simply burdened by a kind of genius that it is almost impossible to bear without quote "burning out" or "falling to pieces". Needless to say she is very concerned (she treats me a little like a son, though I can't deny the fact that I've noticed a certain look in her eyes at times which suggests she is also attracted to me in an erotic sense) and has suggested that I take a break and either defer my studies for a year or become a voluntary patient at a mental health facility. But still, my native inclination is to avoid any triviality in life or any "easy going" form of philosophy which endorses physical pleasure over the riches of an organized and disciplined mental life. And this inclination is so powerful and my instincts to stubborn on this issue that I am afraid that it is unavoidable that I continue to be a genius and to suffer only as a genius is able to do, and I am consequently afraid that some form of breakdown is inevitable at this point. What do you suggest Veeky Forums?

Any good books on this topic?

Veeky Forums's diary desuyo

How often do you leave the house?

>going to a secularist professional in a secular environment to help you through an existential crisis

All they can do is better help you micromanage your life and where you direct your attentions. Apart from that they've got shit all to say to you on any existential front.

Plus I can almost guarantee you that you aren't nearly as smart as you think you are. A lot of this is insecurity and bravado talking. You're probably a cut above, sure, but not as brilliant as you're implying:
>or the profound self-awareness it allows me to experience on a near-constant basis
do you know how many young men your age on this board alone probably wrest with that very same situation? Get over yourself, son. You're bright. You're not some otherworldly Avatar.

>people still fall for the "i'm a depressed genius" meme

i want to fuck your therapist

You aren't going to lose hold of self-awareness if you let loose once in a while. Have some fun, the punishing weight of existence isn't going to excape you that easily anyway.

now THIS is what i call a good post

how old r u op ?

Start doing things that cannot be reduced to your pathetic rationalism, like working out, going on mountain-walks, dancing, music concerts, start painting, or have sex with strangers.

Last week, for my most recent therapy session.

>Very same situation

Highly doubtful.

Would I be banned if I said I was fourteen years old?

You're a real idiot, you know that?

>>Very same situation
>Highly doubtful.

This OP of yours might be a pasta that you're trying to string along into some semblance of a bait thread after the lukewarm reception, or you might honestly be this conceited.

I'm starting to think it's the former.

I always enjoy your posts, OP. Please keep doing what you do.

Also, Lin Yutang's The Importance of Living is all about not taking life too seriously, and it's great.

No, no I'm not.

You definitely aren't self-aware enough to cease being depressed. So may as well stop pretending to be intelligent and go with the advice.

>always enjoy your posts

what did you mean by that? is op normally a tripfag or something?

Nice shit post OP
Thumbs up

what is the title of the movie that op included as pic in his post

A Beautiful Mind

is wrong
>Good Will Hunting
Although a beautiful mind isn't unrelated, nor a bad film

No, OP just has a highly recognisable posting style and posts a lot of stuff on this theme. I mean it's -possible- that this isn't the 'I have had three existential crises so far' poster, but the simarities are undeniable.

But whatever the case, it's always fun.

Will Hunting for Red October

>tfw to smart too live a happy live

>She thinks I lack the mental mechanism which prevents a young man from becoming too intelligent, too soon
yeah man haha

I think there is an element of truth in this.
Think about it, if you are capable of learning so much about multiple formats, you'll get stuck and miserable as in actuality it will be very hard to marriage these abilities together in such a manner that is fufilling and satisfying and organised. Unless you are a natural savant thats somewhat mentally stable and supported by society, you will always be mediocre and unfocused in everything you do because despite trying hard to pick on path in life, your natural compulsion is to want to do it all. Your own self-awareness beats you down for your failures with the beat-stick of impossibly high standards.

The truly happy conent and successful in life, from my experience has been those that are both focused and passionate, but also can do that one thing they do very well.
Like you could be thick as a post about cooking and other basic life skill things. but you are also a world class artist and you got that shit down pat and you are surrounded by peers that can get your foot in the door. So unless you are literally mad, everything points to success and satisfaction.

Pure unadulterated autism

>though I can't deny the fact that I've noticed a certain look in her eyes at times which suggests she is also attracted to me in an erotic sense
Hmmm

Why did you post an excerpt from my diary, desu! Uwaaa (>.

Explain your reasoning why you think the "intelligent = unhappy" theory is false

Have you considered that she is merely appealing to your intellectual arrogance?
Have you considered that you might live inside your head too much and by intellectualizing everything you have become disconnected from your more primal impulses which causes you to feel unsatisfiable so you become more miserable and unfulfilled as this goes on and in order to solve this you rationalize and intellectualize everything even more in an attempt to solve it.

He's just projecting.

just a depressed genius desu.. just passively intelligent but it's too much, because im too smark... i see the world for what it is, and THAT makes me debressed because im just to smark.. just to effortlessly intelligent uwaa i dont need to read books or study because everything that falls under my intellectual lens is instantly dissected into it's metaphysical attributes.. grr SO MAD (because im smark)

The moment i saw the photo with your post i thought here we go again another fucking spolit millenial . you are not a special snowflake ,you just like every other human being with its complications .FUCKING GET A GRIP.

>>Either I continue to be extremely intelligent, self-conscious, mentally liberated
kek if you are unhappy, you are none of those and has no idea what those words mean, wonder why you are unhappy and conclude that killing your self is good

>i see the world for what it is

You absolutely don't, you just think you do because you're arrogant.

>ch a young age that my brain has insufficient means, due to my neurobi
underrated post
ITT: people who need to ANONYMOUSLY get jacked off.

not true.. i see the world for what it is because im too smark..

Pretty sure your on the same mental level as someone who just did acid.

You think your alot further out than you are bro.

>not trying to go crazy
>not living self imposed isolation as a religious forms of self purification
>Not fasting
>sleeping

P.S therapists are shit.
P.P.S >brain can't handle muh supah thoughts Lmfaoo

valuable posts. this thread really made me think
mods: lock this thread.

Intelligence is a problem-solving ability, first and foremost. Because you can't solve the problem of being happy, and even don't recognise it as a problem to be solved by your intelligence, it implies that you aren't actually intelligent and are merely a pseud.

guess your just too unsmart to understand the depth of my smartness

>Any good books on this topic?

You looking for "How to launch a good bait on Veeky Forums".
It's still being researched but your post makes a good contribution.

this is a funny thread

this makes me proud to be British

It's called binge drinking lad, give it a go

Your therapist is an idiot.

>due to my neurobiology being underdeveloped for the type of thoughts and cognitive functioning I experience

Is a load of tripe that has no basis in anything.

But hey, this was a made up troll post anyway

nice erotic fantasy op

>marry a heifer

That greentext fits me perfectly until that point. I refuse to grant ANY WOMAN the pleasure of being penetrated by me, let alone wedded to me.

>he thinks it's a euphemism

You can only call yourself a genius if you have a creative ability that is extraordinary and if you end up achieving excellence in some specific area of human performance. Most people can only be talented at something, but not end up reaching genius level.

If you have the ability to learn very fast, to perceive more patterns in reality than most people, to withhold more information and to access a more capable memory that is still only part of the game.

If you are only able to absorb with greater amplitude, with more ease and with greater quantity the information that already exists this does not make you a genius.

To be a genius you have to choose an acting area that really captivates you - something that you love, somehting that you feel you were born to do - and works on it for several years until you reach mastery, and then fuse this mastery with your creative capability, producing new knowledge and new works.

If you cant do that you are no genius.

>choose an acting area

OP's a polymath, retard

Understanding has no reign on happiness or fufillment, they are two separate systems.

Nice meme

Just become a writer or something, OP. Most humans have thoughts like you, or feel simalarly, but you are just able to put these things into words in a somewhat elegant way. Everyone sometimes feels like they are too smart for the world, but most don't obsess over it like you because they see there is no point whether it be subconsciously or not...

I hate to use the term pseudo-intellectual and prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, but come on:

>mental mechanism which prevents a young man from becoming too intelligent, too soon.

>being so intelligent at such a young age that my brain has insufficient means, due to my neurobiology being underdeveloped for the type of thoughts and cognitive functioning I experience.

What an absolute crock of shit, I can't believe people respond to this crap with real advice.

What a palpably false statement. Not everyone suffers like a genius. Most people suffer like animals. Only a minority have the capacity to suffer as intensely as OP. And for that, I commend him.

Your jealousy is embarrassing.

Because OP is depressed and is having an existential crisis, he is suffering like a genius? I always figured most people struggle with these things.

you're missing his point

jealous of what? op is (you are) just a textbook depressed/distymic shitbag with a bad special snowflake coping mechanism (i.e. an epic troll :^) kek)

I think this is bait, but anyways, I dont understand what is making you "depressed", OP.
Are you suicidal?

stupid babies, perhaps if u were naturally smark like me u would understand OP and his struggles... liderally the entire universe is in the palm of my hand and i am the only one who can solve the eternal riddle

You're wrong. Most people feel sad sometimes, many people consider suicide sometimes. But to transcend every ideology impressed upon you for the sake of maintaining your existence / optimism in the face of a value-less universe, to transcend your biological impulses that would otherwise allow you to live a life of brutish contentment, to not only gaze into the void but realize that the void is the only thing one is gazing at wherever one chooses to look, requires such a depth of insight, such an acute intelligence, such a brave willingness to leave the confined of a herd-sponsored contentment and beat your own path through the barren terrain of ideological nullity, that only a few people, a handful really (OP most certainly included) are capable of even realizing that such a feat is possible. The fact is, most people are content to subscribe to their respective socio-geographic character type ("Haha, I'm a TYPICAL Norwegian in that respect!"), sublimate their own ambitions by cheering for their local "SPORTS TEAM!" (clap, clap, clap) or by resigning themselves to a staid complicity (marriage, children, 40+ hour working week, etc) whereby the job they perform becomes synonymous with their identity (e.g. "Johannes, a 45-year-old Computer Technician, was found guilty of....). People like OP are philosophical freelancers roaming the internal plains of heightened intelligence, completely indifferent to social norms ("Oh em gee, he has never penetrated an individual with the same genital disposition as ourselves! Ewww!") and to whatever carrots society attempts to dangle in front of his face in order for him to contribute the majority of his intellect towards its maintenance and "advancement" (a disgusting term). No, no. OP is not like you and I. Alas, he resembles so few of our species that at times I imagine he feels utterly alone among the debased mass comprised of people like ourselves. He is rather like a God comprised to us, I suppose. And I for one would go to the ends of this Earth to honor and respect him.

Kys, /r9k/ faggot. Your post detailing an /r9k/-appropriate topic followed by 'any books on this subject?" is fucking cancerous. Stop shitting up this board.

You have a mental disorder with delusions of grandeur, it's a symptom not the problem you fucker. Do you think if you weren't so numb/sad feeling you would think this way, i'm telling you right now if you felt happy life would make alot more sense and you wouldn't need to analyze things so much and realise how absurd everything is. It's the emotion that causes the thoughts sometimes, not vice versa

>It's the emotion that causes the thoughts sometimes, not vice versa

If you're even experiencing emotions in 2017 you have my sincere condolences.

No, I feel blinding rage and occasionally slight contentment when eating food.

Oh I read it wrong, sorry :/

>though I can't deny the fact that I've noticed a certain look in her eyes at times which suggests she is also attracted to me in an erotic sense

>She thinks I lack the mental mechanism which prevents a young man from becoming too intelligent, too soon.
Her assessment as a health professional is that what currently inhibits your potential for happiness is you having an insufficient amount of brain damage?

Has she thought of prescribing you some moderate-dose long-term psychotropic drugs? I hear those are good for producing that sort of effect. (Of making you become the happy person you could be.)

Well put. A very thought provoking post, indeed. OP would maybe be mildly impressed.

Is this guy taking the piss? Why did he put so much effort in to take the piss?

>mods: lock this thread

reddit

she's trying to brainwash you back into the sheep pen.

she wants you fat and happy and lazy and stupid.

read some religious/philosophical texts, work out, and never lose that hunger to be great.

I'm really fucking intelligent (way smarter than the average sheep, probably a bit smarter than the average university professor), I'm just not successful because I'm lazy.

Same here. The laziness in my case is a by-product of my genius, and is in reality a form of apathy that comes about after one has essentially completed the GTA-esque game of life and can only then wander around a map with nothing left to achieve and only NPCs to talk to. Thankfully the State recognizes my genius grants me a monthly stipend in lieu of an actual wage in tribute to my immense intellect and the suffering it inflicts on me.

How have you completed the game of life? Have a successful company? Cured aids?

You're an idiot paranoid narcissist who is only sad because you have no friends due to your inability to be honest or caring towards the people around you (also you assume so much confidence about your read on your therapist but you clearly don't understand their job). Most of your problems stem from your own self-centeredness.
The fact that you would even make this post assures me that you are not a genius.

>Have a successful company? Cured aids?

Meaningless distractions. Sisyphean wastes of time.

Oh so if it's not real life accomplishments it's some kind of intellectual completion, but why are you so sad then? Was it really worth it in the end you pretentious bastard :)

My advice is to get a new therapist, yours sounds like cancer.

Embrace the Dionysian.

Stupid people are happy

Smart people are unhappy

Geniuses are happy

Are you happy user? :s

im beyond such things happiness..unhappiness.. genius and fool clown: these conceptions are for the weak, fetters that bind you to the slipshod tapestrey of societey....in this world, beast and god are one and the same >:), i am not inspired - I AM INSPIRATION! bwahahah!

But you would trade this "strength", for a loving wife and a life of ignorant joy.

Not him, but this is a retarded view. As pretentious as it sounds, no great artist became great from following the herd.

Literally no one on this board is going to become a "great artist", wtf is with this board and their disillusionment, I can't imagine the pain of trying to be so "great" yet falling short

>projecting this hard
Some people do want to do something great and are still on this board.

Fucking pussssssssssy

>I'm a woman and therefore too stupid to do anything worthwhile or have a drive to excel at anything, which means everyone else is too

Im your new therapist. Take the redpill cuck

I'm a man and do have a drive to write and be intellectual but not to the extent of the person who I was replying to who thinks the only purpose in life (which outweighs plebian things like love) is to become a literary god, I'm just saying get a hold of your lives, if the reason you're trying so hard is because that's all the hope you have in life then that's fine, but don't act like you're above life

As i see it, if you really had the empathic intelligence to be so extremely self aware, you would not describe yourself the way you do (even if it was true) because it makes people not want to give you constructive advice.

that's bollocks

t. Your ass

reminder that self-described self-awareness =/ intelligence

Has your therapist also described your existential crises as having the depth and profundity of a man twice your age?

>tfw 2 intelegent 2 b depresed