What does Veeky Forums think about Chinese philosophy?

What does Veeky Forums think about Chinese philosophy?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_Schools_of_Thought
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not much

I've only read Zhuangzi. Breddy gud.

Basically ancient shitposting.

It's neat

>Zhuangzi
>ancient shitposting
>my facial expression when

fuck off with posting this thread every 12 hours

Lots of practical advice and emphasis on reality rather than the inner self and metaphysical

They do delve into the self and metaphysics on a rather profound philosophical level and I really appreciate that.

Better than Platonism.

BEST CHINESE LANDSCAPE ARTIST IS MA YUAN OR GUO XI EVERYTHING ELSE IS SHIT

wow

That's like asking "what do you think of Greek philosophy?"

I mean, ok I guess, there is stuff for every taste

Tao Te Ching is vastly overrated. Other than that it's ok, just inferior to the west.

>there is stuff for every taste
lol

Eastern Asian art is cozy as fuck.

>tfw I will never travel medieval aged China and Japan as a european trader being stared at because of my skin colour and freaking people out with my blue eyes

I like Zhang Daqian, but I may be a pleb

You can get that reaction by going to China right now though.

>respect famary
>forrow laws
>be good
>ching chong
so this is the power......of chinese philosophy.........

Someone failed his civil service exams. If you actually read, you would find that Taoism alone BTFO of the western canon. Oh well, your loss.

>That's like asking "what do you think of Greek philosophy?"
It's even sillier really, since by 'Greek philosophy' we generally mean a relatively short period of time, whereas Chinese thought was/is an ongoing tradition developing over two thousand years.

It's aesthetic.
It's not actually intelligent or logical, but it is pretty.
Kinda like Nietzsche.

>intelligence
>logic
top kek

Chinese thought was probably as rich as the Greeks but the chingchong fascists decided to burn every idea they disagreed with

I would say that Chinese thought was more rich than Greek, and the best of it survived the burning of books and burying of scholars.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_Schools_of_Thought

A lot of it survived. Some only in fragments and secondhand reports, but the same's true of Greek thought. Don't fall so hard for Han propaganda.

I think of it a lot.

Either of you know of a good art book, preferably something oversize and hardcover?

as a Westerner, who gives a fuck

I'll let the Easterners enjoy their own intellectual heritage and ill enjoy mine

besides, unless you were born into the culture, how could you ever hope to understand it? studying it would be as fruitless as being an atheist trying to read plato.

The Importance of Living - Lin Yutang

>studying it would be as fruitless as being an atheist trying to read plato
I d-d-didn't realize I was wasting my time

which of his works have you read? which one struck you the most, and what did you gather from it?

Whose read Hall and Ames' work or are you all dilettantes?

>besides, unless you were born into the culture, how could you ever hope to understand it? studying it would be as fruitless as being an atheist trying to read plato.
found the brainlet

go ahead and waste your time with chinese phil, im not stopping you.

atheists can't read plato?

You won't get anything from it unless you're gnostic. What could you possibly glean from a discourse on the immortality of the soul or virtue ethics if you're a metaphysical naturalist?

Historical context? Understanding of a different mental framework?

Downvote.

i mean if you want to read it as a historical text thats fine, but youll never 'get' it.

Fraid not. I think art books are really something you've got to check out in person.

this

bump

My god, do you speak entirely in memes?

>A shitty book of aphorisms saying "yo just be spiritual and like go with the flow" which self-contradict itself is better than all western works.

It's not even good bait. Taoism is nothing but a backseat to Buddhism

what in that sentence you quoted is a meme

>Referring to Confucius
>Ignoring Lao Tse

I hope you're aware that Platonism and Neoplatonism in particular is at odds with Gnosticism on several philosophical points; it would be like saying "you can't understand Sufism unless you're a Jesuit".

Like the Hermeticists, the Gnostics borrowed some elements from Plato and took their own spun on things.

Chinese philosophy is pretty sweet, though it can be messy to properly navigate - there are lots of schools of thought who have their peculiar emphasis. The Dao De Jing and Zhuangzi are rather over represented, though.