Why don't american scientists care about philosophy?

Why don't american scientists care about philosophy?

Other urls found in this thread:

lesswrong.com/lw/tg/against_modal_logics/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because American """""""scientists""""""" are just popsci know-it-alls that grew to believe the lie they've told everyone: that they know everything.

A true genius realizes he dosen't know anything.

Shut up and calculate culture

Also note that the guys on the right are really just figureheads of science and scientific study, meanwhile the guys on the left are remembered because they actually did something.

Because it's useless outside of personal fun. Anyone who tries to use philosophy as if it means anything outside of your arm chair is an idiot.

>It's enough Veeky Forums is butthurt episode
Richard Dawkins did do something you ignorant fuck.

>Richard Dawkins
>American
W-what?

True

>What is analytic philosophy or philosophy of science?
You're an effete dilettante.

>Butthurt philosophy tards make another thread
U CAN'T NO NUFFIN

see and eat a whole bucket of dicks.

Philosophy has been over-shallowed in the states, perhaps.

Philosophy of science doesn't actually effect science in the modern day.
Go back to Veeky Forums Fedora faggot.

>Ignoring the one that employs logic and notation.
Fuck off, you cherrypicking retard.

You are clearly mad people are insulting your useless study. You saying it uses logic doesn't make it suddenly relevant. Tell me, when was the last time philosophy discovered something?

>Studying philosophy
>Majoring in philosophy

Well, considering that science is applied natural philosophy.
Pretty recently.

I knew you were going to use that retarded argument. If you are going to say science is philosophy than that just means science is the only useful philosophy, all others are useless and have been for hundreds of years.
>inb4 math is a philosophy and breathing is a philosophy

Now explain what the study of philosophy outside of science or math has discovered, here's a hint, it's nothing.

they missed to point out pic related

because science has to be PC, it can't be the objective scientific method-based field it once was. it's a huge transformation for science to make, and (((scientists))) will be resented because of their leading role.

>Bill Nye
>a scientist

>IQ
>Science
Yeah, that is how I know it's bullshit.

Yeah, but is that why people know him? No, they know him as the "hardcore" atheist that inspired a generation of fedora-tipping neckbeards.

Philosophy of science (foundational thought) and analytical philosophy (logical analysis of arguments) was important in the establishment of applied natural philosophy as more than a fringe hobby during the Enlightenment.
However, I will concede that mathematics and applied natural philosophy (science) are now Search Results
pre-eminent.
That still doesn't diminish the importance of the former though, even if it is semi-historic.

I think guys like Tim Mauldin and David Albert are legit, but the rest are complete memes. Eliezer Yudkowsky expounds on this topic.

lesswrong.com/lw/tg/against_modal_logics/

>"The Truth"
This is how you spot a retard, normally a christian or an arm chair philosopher going U CAN'T NO NUFFIN

>Implying you have to major in philosphy to study it
You're a moron if you think you have to go to school for something to learn about it

>Hundreds of years
So you agree that philosophy has been useless for hundreds of years. Outside of fun there is no reason to study philosophy.

Never said this, just laughing at the faggots who do.

I'd say since the early 1900s, yes.
It still has useful application in analysis of arguments though.

I never said you said it, I said you implied it

But not for science. OP asked why modern scientists don't care about philosophy and the reason is because it is useless as far as science and discovery is concerned.

"Science" teaches us we can know everything.

Real science, a very advanced philosophy, shows us we can never know everything.

Still though, they could make use of analytical philosophy, because they make some truly shitty arguments.

>A very advanced philosophy
So philosophy tards are retarded and people who study basic science are objectively more advanced then them?

The point being is how people utilise science, facts, and information are the only things needed for humanity to progress - forgetting that we, ourselves, are the one establishing concepts where we put the raw data into use.

Humanity in its own accord do not need a major in philosophy to philosphise - for humanity does it everyday.

Who? All modern scientists? You don't need a degree in philosophy to be able to test a hypothesis.

>IQ is a shit metric guise
>correlation=/=causation xDDD
>but let's ban research into it just in case some goys wanna know

Science neither teaches that we can or cannot know everything. You are just bullshitting.

I'm not saying you need to study it formally.
When did I say that?
You can privately study and learn to improve your argumentation.
Why not? You're adding another tool to your toolbox.

Nice shitpost retard.
IQ isn't science just like myers briggs tests. It wasn't even originally designed to do anything more than detect learning disabilities in children.

Every person I've ever known that's done a philosophy degree is a useless, self-absorbed retard who pontificates out their own asshole and wastes their time dancing about their little thought experiments instead of actually doing something productive and meaningful with their lives. They're also no fun allowed smug losers.

The first philosophers were annoying assholes who asked questions about everything.
The first scientists were philosophers who learned to ask better questions.
But for all the advancements we've made, and we've certainly come far, science still can't answer the very basic questions those first few assholes kept asking.

Yeah but that doesn't disprove anything in the OP. Scientists don't take philosophy seriously because it has no effect on science and doesn't discover. That is what all of the quotes on the left are about.

Exactly. And yet what makes the men on the right so stupid is that's what they think anyway.

A lot of them were answered and the ones that weren't were generally because they were questions based on semantics or subjective opinion. Science isn't going to tell you the "meaning of life".

>Pulling shit out of your ass

So because you don't think a question can be answered, it's not even worth asking? Then why bother with science at all?

Where else would I pull shit out of, user? Don't be foolish

No, the OP only applies to epistemology and somewhat to philosophy of science with Krauss.
Not analytic philosophy.

How do you answer a subjective question based on an opinion with science?

What makes a question subjective? The whole point is the answer will make it a little more objective.

It's called manure user and you can buy it.

If science can't answer a question it's literally not worth asking. Sure you can have fun with philosophy I guess but there's really no practical application to it in the 21st century.

Why waste money on something I can make myself

Also, who said science is not subjective? Math is objective, science is based on theory and experimentation

>Theory
Supported by repeated experiments. If X increase Y and it is shown to over and over again it's not subjective to say X causes Y

>Richard Dawkins did do something you ignorant fuck.
wrote a popsci book on gene-centered evolution?

>we have this thread every other week
Anyway, might as well fucking take the bait. Philosophy of science is actually a reasonable way to understand how we should conduct a scientific practice. Kuhn has a great breakdown of the way science functions. Its good to know these things, because there are times of paradigm breakdown where a field seems incomplete and the discussion inevitably turns to the core of what the science is about, and what are acceptable or unacceptable problems and solutions, where a bit of knowledge of the philosophy helps.

>Repeated experimentation
So, still not objective fact. All I have to do is experiment and yield a different result a couple more times than the other was achieved and I've destroyed what was perviously considered an "objective" scientific fact.

I don't understand what the fuck you mean. Fuck off

No fuck you I'm right

>Experiment
>Get result
>This becomes an "objective" scientific "fact"

>Experiment again
>Get different result
>Suddenly somehow have a different "objective" scientific "fact"

How can two different things be objectively true at the same time?

Not him, but experimentation is not necessarily objective. Why would it be? Are you objective in your perception of the world? The scientist is necessary in the experiment and he isn't objective, nor is the community. Objectivity is a lie, even maths isn't necessarily objective

go back to Veeky Forums you stupid brainlet

>Can't counter an argument
>"Uh ... g-go back to this other board, its you who's the brainlet"
wew

>Can't argue
>Resorts to name-calling
See that feeling you have right now? That feeling you get in your head were you actually have to think about something instead of assuming you already know the answer? That's what philosphy does to you, asshole. Try it sometime, you might actually learn something for yourself instead of having to be told it.

Little did you know I've been trolling you this whole time. Now go back to Veeky Forums you silly brainlet, you're obviously not bright enough to understand who badly you're getting played. lmao

>I-i was just pretending to be retarded
We're still laughing at you. Not with you.

>getting so autisticly screeching at me for being a cuckold

Now that's what I call LEGEN..........................................................................................................WAIT FOR IT...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................DARY!!

I could use one more (you), thanks in advance

*farts at you*

Sweet, thank you. Not any more tho, I'm full of (you)s, one more and I'll overload

oil was never extracted to do anything more than supply households with lights

look at its value now

Probably because science has largely replaced philosophy for explaining the world, and philosophy is left pondering the subjective, something that our current "post-modern" society gets off to.

t. philosophically (and probably scientifically) illiterate individual

'Murikan scientists don't unnerstan' what
the "Ph" in their degree means, and don't care.

Not everything has to have a practical application to be worthwhile

>durr try experiment twice why not paradigm shift??? :(((

Yeah, retard, which is why the experiment is retried as much as possible, and full details are published so that others can try it also. Then, once everyone gets the same result within the parameters of the original experiment, do we get a scientific "fact".

philosotards got btfo

Shit...thanks God I'm just an engineer...

It's kinda crazy that people try to use that as a strawman against philosophy when modern philosophy commonly accepted it as a solved problem.

>Popsci
>Popsci
>Popsci
Yeah, you are a retarded newfag using a word you don't understand. The Selfish gene changed the way most biologists thought of genetics. You are a fucking retard.

That's not subjective you retard. It's an objective fact that X caused Y in those experiments. Sure there can be cases where X doesn't cause Y but it's not subjective that they did in those experiments.

Because it teaches how to think. Americans don't like that. Well, their masters don't want them to at least.

It's a very powerful indoctrination, a lot of "scientists" strongly reject thinking and instead focus solely on very abstract concepts that won't get you far ultimately

Veeky Forums used to make fun of philosophy fags daily. Anyone have those old MS paint comics?

Butthurt Fedora detected. Explain how philosophy can be used to explain the physical world around us.

Not a research paper.

If they were around to see the sheer retardation of today, they'd hate philosophy and spirituality too

>Strawman
Philosophy is useless. This is a fact.

I guess Darwin is popsci because his books weren't research papers.
Oh wait you are retarded and need to go back to Veeky Forums like the rest of the philosophy tards who don't know shit.

>Philosophy hasn't done anything of importance in a hundred years
>WHY ARE PEOPLE WITH ACTUAL PRACTICAL SKILLS THAT SOLVE REAL PROBLEMS AND ANSWER REAL QUESTIONS NOT RESPECTING MY CIRCLE JERK OF STUPIDITY!
Anyone who describes themselves as a "philosopher" as their main attribute should be hung.

I'm not arguing that scientific opinions change. I'm arguing that to consider them "scientific fact" is downright moronic. We should treat them like they're mostly likely true, not like they're objectively true. Because otherwise we have a religion, not a science.

* Don't change

But it's still subject to change once new objective facts come into view.

It's the difference between a religion and a science. It might not seem like much but it's an important distinction

>This is my everyone loves a scientist but hates a philosopher

*Why not my

Same reason they don't care about poetry.

It's not. It's objective but that doesn't make it's implications a fact. An experiment is an objective way of supporting something. A theory isn't an objective fact but it is supported by objective facts.