Why is Harry Potter and derived fictions so dull and contentless?

You read it, then you just sit there thinking "Wow, this sure was fun", there's not content. You don't learn anything, you don't retain anything of value, you don't acquire new skills, you don't learn about history. It's pointless.

In fact, most fictions are 100% pointless. Eragon, SOIAF, Harry Potter, etc.

Though they are "Entertaining" after you're done, that's it. Either you just move on, or you buy the costumes, go to cons, and embrace the autism that is the fandom of really any and every fantasy series.

So, Veeky Forums, my question to you is: Why do so many of you degenerates read Fantasy Fiction. Non-Fantasy fiction still passes, like Fahrenheit 451, and others similar (don't really know books of this genre).

God-Tier: History Books, Discipline books by Ancient Chinese/Japanese generals/warriors, Technical Books.

High-Tier: Political Books

Mid-Tier: Some Non-Fantasy Fiction

Low-Tier: None

Shit-Tier: Fantasy Fiction, Comics, Children's books.

Other urls found in this thread:

openculture.com/2013/10/study-finds-that-reading-tolstoy-other-great-novelists-can-increase-your-emotional-intelligence.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Pic Related

Good semi-technical books for beginners to Financial Markets.

Most people aren't autistic and like to spend some time entertaining themselves with an art form they enjoy.

I don't read any fantasy fiction, but I also don't read much history or weaboo shit about Japanese swords.

I read a lot of psychology and philosophy, other people might read a lot about economics or medicine or any interests other than yours.

You're not a special super disciplined genius just because you have your own pretentious views about what literature is important.

I hear you OP and I agree.But I see smaller benefits in actual literature like small bits of philosophy and you can get an improvement in vocabulary. Of course the direct benefits are better from your God tier. Good for improving your own life. The shit tier is a waste of time except for underage and only if they show interest in better things too.

>I read a lot of psychology and philosophy, other people might read a lot about economics or medicine or any interests other than yours.

Exactly, I don't mind people who read about those topics. These are actually useful, now reading a fantasy book is plainly and simply throwing your time away.

>Improvement in vocabulary.
>Philosophy
Yes, I recognize these as 'good' reasons to read books, but if you really want to improve your philosophy, you can read PHILOSOPHICAL BOOKS. Or your vocabulary, you can read something with a more complex vocabulary.

>except for underage and only if they show interest in better things too.

I feel like a large portion of the fans for Fantasy fiction are people who read fantasy fiction as kids/teens and never let go. Literally manchildren who never did and never will grow up because they keep being fueled by the degeneracy. Like the Cons, if you go there, there are basically no underage people despite the content of everything there being 99% idiotic.

It's enraging that people are wasting their times on this. But again, we will always need someone to flip the burgers.

I work with Financial Markets and am doing fine for myself, but looking at those people complaining about the "1% is fucking this world" and whatnot (Look at JKR's Twitter), it just boils my blood. It's pathetic that these people never grew up and they want others to stay on the same, pathetic, unproductive boats as them.

And it baffles me how many fantasy readers browse Veeky Forums. Sad.

It's entertainment. I'm guessing to them that reading fantasy fiction is like watching a movie or listening to music. You don't "gain" much from it, but not everybody wants to devote their life to becoming a walking encyclopaedia.

You can't judge people who enjoy reading Harry Potter or fifty shades of grey much differently than people who enjoy watching Star Wars or James Bond movies.

You're spot on about fantasy.
But unlike fantasy fiction, which is typically read for escapism, literary fiction encourages you to think.

It was written by a woman. The whole thing is boring because women have terrible imagination, their poor writing doesn't help either. Even most erotica is written by men.

>God tier: poetry, philosophy
>High-tier: The New Brutalism: Ethic or Aesthetic?
>Good Tier: Shakespeare
>Shit tier: literature
CHUD-tier: dfw

fiction often enables readers to think about their world in a way that non-fiction cannot. I think this is relatively common knowledge, there's tangible mental benefits from reading fiction.

you have political books up there as "high-tier" but you can't honestly say reading some sort of Ann Coulter political drivel book gives you more value than the classic lit that we talk about on this board.

>typically read for escapism

It's more of a constant cycle. Teen reads this, friendless because he'd rather read to escape the fact that he/she has no friends, grows up in his own fantasy world, never has friends, never strives to achieve more, keeps reading because he's a reject, etc.

>literary fiction encourages you to think

I agree 100%. They are not nearly close. Fahrenheit 451 for example is a great read.

>It was written by a woman. The whole thing is boring because women have terrible imagination, their poor writing doesn't help either. Even most erotica is written by men.

Now that you mention it, I can't think of one piece where I actually thought "Wow this is really good" and it turned out to be a woman. Certain sexes are better at certain thing, writing is definitely a male thing.

>dfw
That's high-school girl fantasy fiction. Sad.

>fiction often enables readers to think about their world in a way that non-fiction cannot.

Refer to my top mention here, it's escapism. Instead of striving to be better/smarter they strive to read more fantasy in order to dodge the world that 'hasn't treated them well'.

>you can't honestly say reading some sort of Ann Coulter political drivel book gives you more value than the classic lit that we talk about on this board.

Absolutely, I don't think so personally. It's good to have a strong political opinion, which is why I put Political Books in High-Tier. Drives your critical thinking and problem solving skills through the roofs.

Most classics are grossly overrated though.

High quality novels like the russian ones can improve empathy and social competence

openculture.com/2013/10/study-finds-that-reading-tolstoy-other-great-novelists-can-increase-your-emotional-intelligence.html

@9041386
God what is this new form of shitposting just give me my (you)

>It's more of a constant cycle. Teen reads this, friendless because he'd rather read to escape the fact that he/she has no friends, grows up in his own fantasy world, never has friends, never strives to achieve more, keeps reading because he's a reject, etc.
Be careful not to over-generalize. This is probably more likely the case for Eragon and SOIAF, but Harry Potter is such a popular series it doesn't imply that a large amount the readers are seeking escape from their lives/are stuck in such a cycle. If I had to guess, probably 2/3's my classmates read it (including me), but we move on.
Not arguing your points about its value, though. But I'm not gonna be ashamed for what I read as a young teen

Because they're entertaining. The only reason to ever read is if you enjoy it and derive satisfaction from it. A lot of people find escapist literature fun to read. You sound unironically autistic. No-one cares what you read, and no-one thinks you're intelligent for only reading non-fiction. Grow up.

>now reading a fantasy book is plainly and simply throwing your time away.
So is shitposting on Veeky Forums, better fuck off lest you waste your clearly valuable time friendo.

>empathy and social competence
Useless 'skills'.

>Be careful not to over-generalize. This is probably more likely the case for Eragon and SOIAF, but Harry Potter is such a popular series it doesn't imply that a large amount the readers are seeking escape from their lives/are stuck in such a cycle. If I had to guess, probably 2/3's my classmates read it (including me), but we move on.

Eh, that was a very broad generalization, true. But I'm saying that the people who participate in those nerd cons and whatnot probably all have gone through this cycle.

>Because they're entertaining. The only reason to ever read is if you enjoy it and derive satisfaction from it. A lot of people find escapist literature fun to read. You sound unironically autistic. No-one cares what you read, and no-one thinks you're intelligent for only reading non-fiction. Grow up.

This, lads, is the type of thinking that will get you to be the bottom of the bottom, flipping my burgers.

>So is shitposting on Veeky Forums, better fuck off lest you waste your clearly valuable time friendo.

Having a discussion isn't throwing your time away. It's just trying to see WHY people do x and y.

They're comforting.

Why do you spend time on Veeky Forums? You read it, then you just sit there thinking "Wow, this sure was fun", there's not content. You don't learn anything, you don't retain anything of value, you don't acquire new skills, you don't learn about history. It's pointless.

Autism/10

This thread is a spasm in the leg of the twitching corpse of Veeky Forums.

>why do people enjoy things

>don't really know books of this genre

Then how can you judge the genre?