That guy who went to school and got a piece of paper that says he's qualified to teach dumb and high teenagers books...

>that guy who went to school and got a piece of paper that says he's qualified to teach dumb and high teenagers books approved by the State government but more importantly that he's qualified to teach dumb and high teenagers how to take a state test
lmao he probably thought he was going to be a famous writer one day too

>that guy who says one 5 is better than two 5s

>That one guy who dreamed of having an artistic career but he was so afraid of potential failure that he jumped into a STEM career he really doesn't like because it's safe and respected by people on the internet
>He keeps telling himself he's going to write his amazing literary masterpiece even though he's too overburdened with work to even dream of having the free time to do such a thing

lol what a loser

whatever, buttplug

Actually it was because I get a great career. You probably can't even imagine what that is like if you've only ever worked retail.

never worked retail.

Ever worked?

Literally me

I was consistently top of the class in my lit program, but in uni changed to finance. I never thought I'd end up working towards becoming a fucking quant.

It's called the division of labor, a market of artists and writers would never work.

You're absolutely right. However, I've heard that, ironically, art graduates statistically find it easier to land a job post-graduation career compared to business graduates in Australia. We'll see how it goes.

I know this isn't anything new however- before more recent times when everybody HAD to go to university, the arts programs were almost exclusively the domain of the upper and upper-middle class, who would invariably do something like History or English, and then move into appropriate jobs in places such as the BBC, British Intelligence etc. It's only recently that it was enlarged to encompass such a bloated array of subjects.

I also don't know if it's strictly necessary to study English to know how to write. Gore Vidal and others have accurately pointed out that one's true education begins with a library card or a general collection of books to choose from. You just need someone to pique your literary interest really; going through a required syllabus of books will not turn you into the next Henry James- if you don't believe me, try forcing yourself through the turgid prose of a university literature expert.

checked

Sure. But you aren't that guy. You aren't the kind of person who will strive through drudgery to produce reams and reams of shit, then decent, then good then great art. You're just average. Not in intelligence, maybe, but in yourself.

>lol I'm gonna get six figures gonna be rich for LIFE
This is the working-class.

nice projecting

I salute you

Are you talking about the American education system?

If so, you should know that the Common Core State Standards only require the teaching of one writer by name: Shakespeare. Other books are completely left up to the discretion of the teacher as long as they meet their standards and prove them with various artifacts in portfolios.

Maybe you're talking about a different country that has state approved books though.

Common Core State Standards do not constitute a curriculum. Every school will have an English curriculum, most of which specify specific texts or range of texts teachers are expected to use as the basis of units that target particular standards. To ensure the standards are being met, these are sequenced vertically. Curriculum are usually most specific regarding the selection of approaches to teaching "informational texts." The Common Core framework views the study of "informational" and "literary" texts as equally important. But the typical English teacher cannot himself competently perform the skills described in the Common Core standards. That's the biggest problem.

I think the point was that the standards do not mandate texts, and there isn't some evil State Department of Acceptable Literature deciding what is read in schools. It's generally teachers working with instructional planners within their schools and districts.

There are tons of problems with the CCSS, but selection of texts isn't really one of them.

>It's only recently that it was enlarged to encompass such a bloated array of subjects.

Yeah but that's not an issue. Most middle-class people still find it easy to get the jobs you mentioned regardless of what they studied simply because of connections and having been taught how to play the game. Working class folk studying humanities & arts get duped in the end because nobody prepared them for the life they're leading.

It'll be a pretty sweet day when people wake up and realise this instead of complaining about the fact Cardboard Studies exists.

I get what you're saying about incompetent teachers though, I'm right there with you.