People act like Dostoevsky is too over-the-top and Tolstoy is perfect...

People act like Dostoevsky is too over-the-top and Tolstoy is perfect, but half of Anna Karenina is a pointless soap opera. I've read it four times and each time I care less about Anna and Vronsky.

The first ten times you read a book don't count. Keep going then you'll understand the book.

TBK is a masterpiece but it is 10 times the soap opera to Anna Karenina. Leo Tolstoy is an infinitely better writer than Dostoevsky.

Have you tried reading the the other half?

>Leo Tolstoy is an infinitely better writer than Dostoevsky

This is a Prank

Why would you read it four times?

tolstoy is good

anna and vronsky aren't

> Leo Tolstoy is an infinitely better writer than Dostoevsky.

sure, but Tolstoy wished he was as real as Dostoevsky

True. Konstantin Levin is the true protagonist in AK.

Currently reading A.K. for a class on Tolstoy and I find it to be solid. His use of contrast and framing to set scenes is master level, and the characters are engaging. I do wonder why you think it's pointless, though.

Because Vronsky is boring and Anna is just too much. Make up your minds and stop crying.

Levin is based though.

War & Peace is his best novel, with his short stories being on the same level.

life is pointless soap opera.dude
maybe you will more understand when you older

You don't have to care about Anna. But her actions have consequences on other characters, and maybe you should be caring about that?

>Tolstoy wished he was as real as Dostoevsky

is this a shitpost?

Dostoevsky (and I'm not saying this as a negative) by no means had realistic characters -- Tolstoy is so admired for his ability to create real characters.

Yeah if you honestly believed Dostoevsky's intention was to write realistic characters especially in TBK you're missing the point.

Tolstoy couldn't write realistic characters if he tried, he wrote soap opera characters

Idk why people debate Tolstoy vs. Dostoevsky so much they are very different authors that both did what they intended to do very well

Tolstoy kept wanting to cosplay as a poor dude, Doestoevsky had no choice. Tolstoy wanted to write about peasants, but knew he was best writing about aristocrats.

> fuck, my wife is nagging again
> dude, im giving up everything lmao!

dostoevsky had to worry about not dying from epileptic seizures, while struggling to finish novels fast enough so that he could eat in between his seizures

tolstoy sat around womanizing and playing cards with the lads

Anna Karenina is a romantic book, and LiƩvin is the protagonist.

Now go re-read it and enjoy.

nah, rather read Gogol

i second this