What's the most exotic meat you've ever consumed?

What's the most exotic meat you've ever consumed?

pic related, it's pretty gud. Texture like fish, flavor like chicken

how did you eat it? fried?

anyways probably gator or antelope

Duck brain? Creamy as all fuck and delicious.

Ate gator, but that was more like, "taste's like chicken," preparation. Others that may come to mind are squirrel or bunny that I've taken with the .22.

pretty sure it was just grilled. I would eat it everyday if it were more abundant and easy to farm

I've had gator too, bretty good...it was fried gator bites

Had "ostrich cakes" once, also pretty tasty

what's ostrich taste like?

macaque

Honestly it was like 7 or 8 years back at a fancy restaurant that my rents took me to so I don't remember much besides the fact that I enjoyed it.

From what I remember tho the texture & taste was sort of a mix between chicken & lamb if that makes sense

I had iguana in Mexico once. Poor bastards are endangered tbough :(

Tasted fine I guess. Had plenty of chilie sauce to give it flavor.

gator is fucking delicious blackened, one of my favourite meats by far

Elk. It was in a spicy salami, though, so it was hard to guard how it tasted on its own

A friend of mine offered me some ostrich jerky once. Tasted a lot like venison, but that might have been just because it was smoked and dried.

I've had Alligator jerky, not bad. Aside from that I've had lion, ostrich, falcon, snake (I forget the type of snake), wild boar and the list get more boring from there like ox tail and shit like that.

I guess shark and frog legs deserve a mention.

Rocky Mountain oysters. Tastes like really chewy chicken

I once had shark steak in a restaurant in Germany. It was a bit like a cross between salmon and beef steak, it was delicious.

Does anyone know what Gorilla tastes like?

Where on Earth did you try falcon and lion?

Elk. It was a long time ago, but I remember it tasting like beef but... deeper, I guess? It's not easy to describe.

Mc muffin

Florida

ive had gator, snake, and dog.

gator and snake were ok, almost vomited after eating dog-- way too fatty

Frog legs

Tasted like really, really thin duck meat

I saw some "lion burgers" at the same food stand that I got my grilled gator, at Sacramento county fair. They were $40 a sandwich. I heard they do have some small farms where they keep and slaughter lions, but for 40 fucking dollars I better get a certificate of authenticity and a picture of the lions name and face.

McDonalds chicken nuggets, if you consider that meat

frog legs suck, I don't understand the french. What do they do with the frog body?

the nuggets are real chicken, but the hamburger patties are almost 50% soy from what I hear

Lion

It was tough as shit, and tasted like beef. Don't eat it.

I had some sort of Elk Stew at a Norwegian restaurant. Tasted good. Then the owner walked their dog into the kitchen.

We all watched in horror...but damn that stew was good.

Kangaroo. It's exotic in Europe.

>Exotic
Dude I'm from the south ga swamp and we shoot several a year on my family's land. Dress it down, marinate the meat, and have a big bbq. Good times! Goes perfectly with bourbon! My most exotic is hard to say. I've had fugu. Was incredible but the price was outrageous. A close second was chicken sashimi that we had on that same trip. Weirdest thing ever but it was great to be able to say I tried.

Iguana is nowhere near endangered and in many places are actively hunted to keep populations low.
They are an invasive pest that eats crops.

There's a movement to make it more popular as a food item so they can start importing it from Puerto Rico right now.

>fugu
how much did you have and how much did it cost?

ostrich. It was good. Tasted like steak.

I also had snapping turtle in Iowa. It was also good. Sticky and fatty like pork with a slight fish taste.

Apparently the Green Iguana is doing fine, other types are threatened or endangered.
I'm going to assume dude ate Green/American Iguana and not some Galapagos/Fiji Striped one.

I had it at a fancy restaurant too. The flavor and texture was a lot like beef.

I had a buddy that got some kangaroo tail off the internet. How is it? Heard it was tough as hell

>beef
>chicken/lamb
>venison

I think it's safe to say it depends on how it's prepared

We each paid around $150 for the full meal. It included fugu in plain preparation served by itself and a soup flavored with it. There was also alcohol and other food involved.

>my rents
I hope you mean tenants and not your parents.

Yeah preparation is probably key. I said it tasted like beef above. It was in some sort of wine sauce in little medallions.

Horse.

What's that taste like compared to beef or elk?

It wasn't tough, just a little chewy. Tasted much different than beef, I can't really think of anything like it. Definitely would eat again

Jellyfish. Its maybe not what most people might think of as meat but seeing as its mostly collagen, other proteins, and fat, I don't know what else to call it.

I have had almost everything that swims that I have ever seen, though not shark, fugu, or geoduck yet. as for land and air animals I guess I haven't ventured beyond stuff that is commonly farmed or hunted in north america.

what it taste like?

its savory and mild, but it has kind of a clean simplicity that most other meat or "fish" don't really have. the way I had it, it was served cold in strips with something like a delicately pickled cucumber and some other vegetable. Its texture is sort of like shirataki noodles or a much firmer sauerkraut

I have eaten frog legs. It tastes like chicken.

Crocodile is honestly the best meat I have ever eaten, but I have only eaten it twice.

deer heart and antelope burgers

deer heart was fucking amazing, and the antelope burgers were cut with baconfat I think, also good

you have never had alligator. Texture is nothing like fish; it's one of the toughest meats on the planet and it is just OK. try again.

I've had zebra once while on vacation in Africa, tasted delicious, like horse meat but much more tender and juicier

its like fish
no no user its tough as fuck

sounds like one of you overcooked it, or perhaps one of you slow cooked it to perfection?

My dad made me take a bite of the heart of the first deer I killed, still hot and basically quivering, immediately after we got to it. Made my daughter do the same.

yours was probably overcooked. umm try again sweety :)

you didn't eat alligator. you were lied to.

you can both fug off, reptile is not fish, not even close.

OP here, got my gator at a county fair for around 6 bucks. Highly doubt they slow cooked it

gator sits in water all day long for most of it's life, it would make sense that it would have a soft texture. Not exactly fish, but the closest comparison

OK guys listen up. I'm The texture of the meat varies greatly depending on where on the body it is from. There are sections of the tail that range from extremely soft and delicate texture almost like tuna if cooked right. The same tail has a section that has a texture closer to tender pork loin. The taste is hard to describe. Everyone goes to chicken or fish. It's neither. It's reptile. If you've eaten a lot of reptile like snake or turtle you know what I'm talking about. Frog is close but misses the mark. Just know that you're both probably right depending on what bit of the gator you got. For the record the best way to prepare is the tail dressed down and the meat marinated whole in a mix of teriyaki and jalapeño for 2 days and then grilled whole slow over low heat to perfection.

OP here I need to come to your house because got damn

swamp user, have you had snake? Because I have and it was pretty fuckin tough. It was like jerky without being jerky.

Yup eaten it plenty. It's great cooked over campfire. The key is not overcooking it. In my experience the meatier the snake is (bigger circumference) the softer it tends to be. Just don't be surprised what you find in it if it hasn't shit in a while.

Lol well any time you're around Waycross, GA I'd love to have you over

Puffin
Whale
Kangaroo

I had a Gator poboy when I was in New Orleans, good sandwich, absolute shit city.

>soft
are you aware that a gator has the thoughest skin on the planet next to a rhino?

If you want all the fun of New Orleans Mardi Gras but in a city that's not a complete dump you should check out St Patrick's Day in Savannah, GA. Much better city and population.

Eh, my fiancé was doing some sorta anthropology thing. I basically had to tag along. I felt so old while I was there. 10 years ago I would have loved the scene, bar hopping and looking at tits, smoking blunts. I don't want to say I grew out of it, I still drink and party with friends at home, I was just uncomfortable I guess.

I will keep your recommendation in mind the next time I have to go that far down south.

One of these things. A little stringy, but basically like any other red meat.

>thoughest skin
You don't eat the skin, it gets thrown away just like the bones and the lungs and the asshole.

fish scales aren't exactly soft either, genius.

>Lenny, lets just kill then nasty old lions, ground them up, and serve it at some silly price!

Eating apex carnivores is usually nasty anyways except for gator.

I don't know dude I'd absolutely give it a try. Not a whole lot in this world I won't eat though. There's a restaurant in I think England where a dude has worked with a lab to come up with a blend of meats that, on a precise chemical level, mimic the smell and taste of human meat that he uses to make burgers. I'm absolutely dying to get over there and try it

Please learn to read.

>whale
aint that shit internationally illegal? Where did you get it?

it's legal in a few countries

I have it in Iceland every time I go

taste? texture?

had it a few different ways, my favorite was probably served as you would a steak. It also helped that my starter was probably the best lobster bisque I'll ever have in my life

very tender, surprisingly lean, hard to describe the taste but I find it lovely

also had it raw which was also fantastic

This feathered motherfucker. There's not much meat but it tastes better than any other meat I've tried, so far.

yo thats a yard bird bro. YOU EATIN YARD BIRDS?

I eat lots of things. (Australian) Possum is another good one.

>possum
hows dat. I bet it's fatty

Was actually pretty lean. Hard to describe the flavour though.

I had whale in a sushi place in Hawaii that was pretty far off the beaten path. I accept that I *might* have been lied to, but it was off menu, and this guy's shop was rarely open and he gave it all to me for free with some baby clam.

He was giving my friend shit for playing it safe with California rolls and all while I was more adventurous. The color and flavor matched what I was expecting. Super dark, a little more irony than I expected, but more in the texture of a firm fish than liver or any offal would be.

you guys are selling me on eating fucking whale. Maybe I oughta take a trip down to Iceland, fuck some nordic whores and have feast on some gentle giant of the deep.

Iceland user, any recommendations on where to go specifically for prime time whale meat?

They sell it in lidl

I think you're the one who needs to spend some quality time in a remedial third-grade reading class, you stupid motherfucker.

You seem upset?

find a cheap downtown hostel in Reykjavik and just ask the desk what's good

note that the country has seen a huge boom in tourism in the past 5 years or so, and it can be somewhat attractive, but if you wanna just go there to eat for a few days and hit the hot springs it's not too bad

I was going to recommend you the last hostel I stayed at, but prices jumped from like 30 bucks a night to almost 100, it's fucking crazy

>attractive

expensive I mean

Shark.
Was dank as fuck.
Also had authentic biltong made with ostrich.

>Depending on how it's prepared, it can taste like anything
Yeah that sure helps a lot dumb fucks

Man I remember as soon as the gator was removed as an endangered species all the restaurants in my area started adding gator to the menu.

Can you guys buy gator at the supermarket? Here in California eating gator is pretty much unheard of and no one except me has had it

grew up on an ostrich farm, so yea alot of that.
kangaroo
emu
crocodile
antelope

>frog legs, not bad but not worth doing again
>whale stew while in Norway. Very chewy.
>fermented shark. Disgusting
>deer heart. I think I have had this boiled and baked, don't really remember
>thanksgiving turkey giblets

Nah not that I've ever seen. You can buy it on Amazon though for 13.99/lb for 5 lbs plus $20 shipping

I've never seen it at a normal supermarket, but I have seen it at an Asian market.

I can order it through a distributor for my establishment, but it's not "on the store shelf" kinda stuff, even in Florida.

Not sure why, it's pretty common.