Just how smart do you think you actually are, Veeky Forums?

Just how smart do you think you actually are, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

theliberatedmathematician.com/cv/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

pretty brainlet

i'm like a guy that benches 2pl8. if you're untrained or a normie you'd think i'm a god but if you're in the field you'd realize i'm mid tier at best.

People think I'm smart because I know a lot of trivia and have a decent analytical mind.
I think I'm average.

About average, but harder working.

>Just how smart do you think you actually are, Veeky Forums?
About average for Veeky Forums, including the /pol/ and /x/ invaders.
So... a bit less smart than the genuine Veeky Forums folk.
...but of course, my online IQ test says 140, just like all of us.

Average intelligence but feel i have an above average memory. I also tend to not stick with things so have become a jack of all trades master of none.

All of the above, which scares me a bit since I would like to work in some highly competitive fields. Mind you, even some professors or TA tell me that I'm talented or other stuff, but I know that I'm simply good at taking exams.
I try to improve studying like a madman and giving up my social life, but I feel that sooner or later I'll hit a wall and the real geniuses will surpass me.

by all measurable standards, average to very stupid. but ill always have that special snowflek feeling making me think i have some sort of hidden intelligence because its all i have

Smarter than engineers. Dumber than mathematicians.

99.98th percentile, but I feel like I'm only 99.97th.

Got a degree in classics and philosophy. Recently started studying math on my own. I used to browse lit but got tired of that shithole. Now I dwell here. I'm average.

below average

>muh l'impostor syndrome

nice, i have the same delusion

I did very well during my undergrad and I'm still doing very well in my master's at one of the best unis in my country. That being said, I've always felt like I was heading towards a brick wall at an increasingly high velocity.
Hasn't happened yet, but maybe this year will be the year, I dunno. I've been feeling uncharacteristically drained this year.

this

I feel exactly like this

Do you have to be a real genius to be successful though?

kinda intelligent, nothing extraordinary, might have something to do with the fact that i just find the lowest amount of effort required to pass exams and don't apply myself beyond that

I'm too smart for reality basically, that includes social interaction. 99.72 percentile which is 142 IQ sd15

Nah, I attended a professor's seminar once and we talked for a long while. I told him all about these insecurities and he told me he felt the same way as a student (it was funny because he had attended the same uni as I did) but that at some point he just chose a kind of niche, but not too niche, area (model theory of algebraic groups), stuck with it and eventually made a name for himself.
He did tell me to be wary of areas like arithmetic geometry because they tend to attract the real aliens.

Basically there are "geniuses", ie. exceptional people who are simultaneously quicker than you, deeper than you and already know more about your potential area of study than you do (and if you've studied long enough, you have probably met some of them) but not that many, and chances are that if you are among the top students at a very good uni/grad school, you have developed one of those qualities more than most people, and have a slim chance of making it.

>if you are among the top students at a very good uni/grad school
Fuck me

+1

I think I'm quite slow at picking up concepts. I'm not genius tier at all.

That said, I know that if I won't keep studying for all my life I'll become even more brainlet than I actually am, so I stick to it.

Being called smart actually has negative impacts. People who believed that smart exist created people beliefs that people cannot get into math simply because they aren't "smart" enough. Females often avoid math not because of sexism but because they aren't confident in their math skills. Let's face it, the people who got into high level math just grind dozens of hours a week into the library for several years as do most successful students.

I pick things up quickly but become disinterested after a while. Have a broad knowledge of many topics, but none of which delve into the finer or more complex ideas or concepts.
The one thing i've stuck to is computer science at university. My results range from very good to shit tier "just passing" as i have periodic nihilistic moments for a few weeks of heavy drinking and "nothing matters", "why do i bother".
But all in all above average intelligence and haven't come across anything i can't do.

Some people do have a "nack" for it. Learn it quicker than others.

That's 99.9% of people. Most people don't do this. Otherwise, we wouldn't have homework.

That's not 99.9% of people.

>Some people do have a "nack" for it
This isn't true

There were kids in high school who did nothing in class and no homework yet got 90%+ in most tests

Yeah, and a surplus of students repeat Algebra 1 in high-school because they didn't study hard enough.

So you think everyone is the same and learns at the same rate?

By objective measures of achievement, I've done pretty well. I have a PhD in mech. engg., and I believe only around 3% of the population here have a terminal degree. While in my PhD program, I was awarded a major national award that has right around a 5% success rate, so I'm nominally in the top of that group. I was appointed to a faculty position without a post-doc, which is rare in itself these days, and that was a selection out of a few hundred successful PhDs.

However, I have no good way to control for things like my family's affluence or the stability of my home life. And for things like my faculty appointment, major factors include their strategic vision (eg: my research is in an area where they want to grow) and how well I get along with people. I think I'm a pretty sociable guy, and a pretty good conversationalist, as far as us nerds go.

In that regard, I think I'd be comfortable guessing that my own intelligence is somewhere in the top decile, but I'd be weary to put myself in the top ventile.

I have no idea how people can go into their PHD. program. I can work for my masters though. The amount of work is just mind-boggling. It may take up to five years to finish a PHD or depending how fast a person finishes their thesis.

One of the very first things my advisor and I discussed were the conditions for me finishing, and the expectations for weekly workload.

There were some weeks where I was overworked, there was a lot of stress too, but in general I didn't work more than about 50 hours a week and I finished in four years. Probably spent 65 or a little more hours a week at school, since I'd go to the gym and spend a lot of time walking to the coffee shop. But honestly, you just need to have reasonable expectations (and so does your advisor and committee).

Not true. For anything above a stem master's you need to be truly gifted.

Not that user, but what makes you think "giftedness" is the only factor that influences learning rates? One kid may have had a better teacher or more supportive parents to help with HW.

STEM PhD here. That is 100% bullshit.

What is your IQ?

I've always done very poorly in school, even as a little kid. My mind wanders very easily and I never work effectively unless something catches my interest, but when I do become interested in something I can learn it much faster than most people. I'm sure when I find my place in the world I'll be really good at it, but to most people I just look like a regular loser.

not where i go to college

I have studied a shit ton and I put my mind to it at a young age.

So, pretty smart.

If you go to a college with a shitty research department then obviously shitty PhDs will take in mediocre people.
Anything remotely good requires high intelligence

Smarter than all of Veeky Forums put together.

Are you me?

One gorrillion dollars.

>claims you don't need to be gifted to pursue a PhD
>evasive about his IQ
Average people do average things, and a PhD isn't average. That's all there is to it

>PhDs aren't average

What the fuck am I reading? Are you implying that all PhDs are necessarily "gifted", or "very intelligent" by your metric?

If that's the case, you're either (a) fucking dumb or (b) have abysmal standards. I suspect the former.

>phd in gender studies

>gifted

I am one of the greatest masterminds of our time.

I'm a fool a fucking retard.

A Ph.D graduate in hard STEM is very likely to be a whole 2 standard deviations above the mean in IQ. There is NO FUCKING WAY an average person can manage to do a Ph.D in Math or Physics.

But that is not even all that is required. There are other necessarily mental faculties that are not measured by an IQ test. You need to have good mental health. You need to be able to focus for long periods of time and you need to be able to tolerate stress very well. If you have any form of mild autism it is going to make your life much harder when you cannot just act like a man child anymore.

All STEM PhDs have clearly above average intelligence, yes.

>highschool
re-read what you just posted

I suppose I must find a counter example to your generalizations.

theliberatedmathematician.com/cv/

Here's a very interesting example. Give her thesis a thorough read as well as her achievements and hysteria, and tell me if you still think a PhD at a "rigorous" program must be several SD's above average. To claim that some PhDs aren't retards is an affront to academia.

t. high schooler

Are you saying that the average person can pursue a PhD in science or mathematics and succeed without being a statistical outlier?

This is literally only the case for Math at a top 5 uni lmao

>and succeed
I suppose we're backtracking now. The initial question was whether or not a tard can get a PhD in the first place. Which, as I've shown, is true.

See It's at Princeton, the #1 uni last time I checked. What's with you anons making dumb ass generalizations? You can NEVER weed out stupidity.

>science
Yes, even for physics.
>No, if at a top 10. Yes, anywhere else.

You need to interact with more PhD holders, friend, especially Chemistry and Engineering ones.

Meant to say no at a top ten for Maths.

Then again, there are exceptions like the example above.

I am retarded, but for whatever reason I've managed to blunder my way up to places where I really have no business being. Sometimes I feel like an RPG character with maxed out Luck stats.

CS?

What about CS at a decent (not elite) uni, for someone with slightly above average intelligence? Is it feasible?

Found the social "science"/"gender" "studies" brainlet.

>he thinks a handful of exceptions prove anything
You are a moron.

It's not a dumb-ass generalisation you dumb-ass. it's a true generalisation. You're too drunk on "generalisations are wrong". No they aren't. You found some exception to the general trend and think that the trend doesn't exist.

Stupid.

I was placed into a gifted and talented program as a kid. You needed to score in at least the 89th percentile of some intelligence test to be considered.

Joke's on me though my dad left and I failed every class.

Sometimes I wish gods existed, so that I could sacrifice something (or someone) to some god and become more intelligent as a reward. Where is Mephistopheles when you need him?

Math & Physics PhDs have to be genius level, otherwise they would simply drop out.

Economics, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering & Chemistry PhDs are also gifted & impressive, but less genius.

Perhaps Mechanical Engineering is more average (Aerospace & Nuclear are harder glorified versions)

PhD in Geology, Civil Engineering, Architecture, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Archaeology, Linguistics & Neurosciences still have to be at least above average.

Biochemistry & Biology PhDs are people which failed to get into Medical School so the bar is lower.

The best in Humanities go to Law School.

The level start to go downhill in fields like Philosophy, Political Science, History, Geography, Psychology (not Neurology), History of Art

Approaching to shit level in Anthropology, Communication, Sociology, Modern Art

The bottom shit are PhDs in Gender Studies, Afro-American Studies & so on.

How come math and physics are so much more difficult than other sciences?
And why is the bar so "low" for CS and neuro?

>>evasive about his IQ
That person isn't me, and I've never taken an IQ test.

>How come math and physics are so much more difficult than other sciences?

The hardest Engineering is Electrical Engineering which uses more Physics & Math.

The hardest Social Science is Economics which use Heavier Math

The hardest of Chemistry is Theoretical Quantum Chemistry which is heavy in Physics & Math

The hardest of Material Science are Condensate Matter & Nanotechnology which are heavy in Physics & Math

The hardest of Biology are Biophysics & Bioinformatics which use more Physics & Math.

The hardest of Philosophy is Logic because it uses concepts from Math.

>And why is the bar so "low" for CS and neuro?

CS & Neuro have less Math & Physics when compared to majors like Economics or Chemical Engineering.

>Math & Physics PhDs have to be genius level, otherwise they would simply drop out.
Have you even been to a uni for a math/physics course ? Do you believe all of your TAs are geniuses ? I mean they're likely pretty smart but come on

The rest of your post is just a restating of the usual Veeky Forums drivel about how fields rank relative to one another (despite the fact that it makes no sense at all), and the usual shitting on humanities.
It makes me sad that you probably thought about and took the time to write this

A masterclass in advanced circlejerking right here.

>claims sweeping generalization w/o proof
>counterexample provided
>generalization is proven false

If you're math majors, flunk out. If you're not, open a book.

>hurrr generalizations are true
I cannot imagine a more stupid comment than this. Truly my eyes betray me.

Not trying to prove anything you blubbering idiot. I merely provided an example that DISPROVED what the other user was stubbornly claiming as true.

How. Are. You. This. Dumb.

AI/ML is pretty much only math

Slightly above average, else average. Most people don't put effort into understanding things, i think.

Probably top 5-10%. I normally feel pretty average amongst my friends and peers (which is probably good for my ego), but every once in a while I'll read Facebook comments on public posts and realize that the average person is pretty fucking dumb.

>chances are that if you are among the top students at a very good uni/grad school, you have developed one of those qualities more than most people, and have a slim chance of making it.
Wow, that proffessor of yours was really fucking reassuring.

>I am retarded, but for whatever reason I've managed to blunder my way up to places where I really have no business being. Sometimes I feel like an RPG character with maxed out Luck stats.
I'd like you to be more specific.

People incorrectly assume richer kids are more gifted because they seen the material earlier / have tutors / educated parents to support them. While poorer kids (who may have more raw talent) struggle due to lack of resources.

Im studying CS and have a pure math undergraduate degree. My studies in CS are an extension of my pure math studies. A CS specialization in a math heavy field requires the same intellect as a math PhD does. Know why? Because fields like these are Su fields of mathematics. All I focus on are proofs.

So far I'm the smartest person I've ever met, and I've gone far in my field.

However, I feel deep discomfort knowing people like Witten and Tao exist. It's unfair that there are people smarter than me and that nothing I do can change that fact. It is the sort of thing that makes me wish I had a Death Note, to be honest.

But to be honest, I'm sure they have similar feelings about the great minds of the past.

A good rule of thumb for most abilities is that each sigma above the mean corresponds to a 70% faster rate of mastery. So the top 3% of people in that field master the subject 140% faster, and the top 0.1% learn just over three times as fast, etc.

Talent does exist. Let no one tell you otherwise.

i dunno, smart enough to succeed at a bsc in math and a msc in math from top 30 worldwide universities.

I don't know if I am actually smart or not. I can't tell if I am actually learning the material or somehow finding a way to get a good GPA. I really like science and learning it, and am pursuing a double major for CS and physics, but I feel like I am not comprehending everything I'm doing

I have really bad ADD so I feel like a fucking space cadet sometimes because I forget to pay attention for one second. I'm also really bad with time constraints, especially on tests

Ironically, people have told me I am one of the most "chill" and "stress-free" people they have ever met, but I feel like this insecurity is a nagging problem that sits at the back of my mind every second of every day. I struggle with the question of how I'm going to be able to keep up with my studies when I go back to school...

Nauseatingly, unspeakably, murderably smart.

I'm not going to feign modesty for this trash board's benefit.

how do you know this though? Like relative to what

A guy I know would type up this exact post. He vehemently praises Rick and Morty and claims to identify with Rick.

I had this, too. I got placed in the GATE program and got a 99th percentile on the RAVEN.

Then, earlier this year, my IQ from an official test came out to be 116. It devastated me.

>So far I'm the smartest person I've ever met
>It is the sort of thing that makes me wish I had a Death Note, to be honest.
Pic related is (You).

>Source: my ass

>It is the sort of thing that makes me wish I had a Death Note
You can't be above a 120 and actually write this.

People think I'm some sort of genius because I graduated in the top 0.5% of my country in my senior year, when high school is all about your exam technique because the material is fucking easy.

Tbh I'm pretty average, I just work hard so I get decent enough grades. Coming to university was an eye-opener as to how many smart people there are out there, and really puts you in perspective.

Ooops, sorry, wrong pic.
Prove it.

>Prove it.
You can't "prove" anything, positivist tard.