Who makes stock? I made a pork roast yesterday. Covered it with foil and put stock in the bottom of the pan...

Who makes stock? I made a pork roast yesterday. Covered it with foil and put stock in the bottom of the pan. Stock was made from smoked pork bones and various vege scraps. Cooked for about 4 hours and then put the crackling under the grill. Best roast ever it was falling off the bone.

What's some other good uses for stock? I cook rice with it rather than water and sometimes make soup. But I froze some and am wondering what else I can do with this nectar

>Who makes stock?
Anyone who takes cooking seriously. It's like babby's first step to elevate cooking to the next level.

>What's some other good uses for stock?
Cook vegetables, beans, etc, in it instead of water. Use as the liquid for stews, pot roasts, and other braised dishes. Soup. Poach meats in it. Reduce it down for making sauces or glaze.

whenever i get bones from takeout or doggy bags I make stock from them
popeyes makes for great chicken stock

i like to cook but long time cooking isnt my thing, since i get bored and i also dont have time
can i into stock anyway? i use it for risotto, would like to improve it

A few things that might work for you:
1) a pressure cooker can make stock in about 1/3 the time compared to the traditional method.

2) you can also make it in a crock pot or slow cooker; just let it go overnight on low.

3)Even if you make it the traditional way it is very much hands-off. You can get your pot started and then go do other things while it's simmering on super-low heat. You don't have to stand there and attend it the whole time.

This. I make chicken stock in 1 hour in the pressure cooker and meat stock in 2. It still takes longer to make though as there's usually 1 hour bone roasting, cool down period, and I usually reduce the stock too so it ends up taking a long time. But less than just boiling the bones.

I make stock while I sleep.
place simmering pot in a 180F oven for about 8hrs after skimming for the first hr on the stovetop.

I like to put it on when I'm cooking some meals for the week to take to work. I start it off with the bones etc, and then just throw in all my scraps as I make some curry and grilled veges and throw some chicken on the skillet to pack for lunches. Probably simmer it for at least 4 or 5 hours. Then I use stock with dinner meals and other on the day cooking.

When I was a kid my parents used to put the pot on the fireplace and let it simmer overnight as the fire died down

Another trick is to simply make a big-ass batch whenever you do make stock. I bought a gigantic pot for this exact purpose. Make a huge batch of it, then portion it up and freeze it. That way whenever you need stock all you nee to do is grab however many portions you want out of the freezer.

>chicken stock isn't a meat stock.
tard.

Correct. It's a poultry stock.

can i use those low budget slow cookers? what part of chicken should i use?

Sure.

The best parts to use are those that contain a lot of bones and connective tissue. Feet, necks, wings.

>what part of chicken should i use?
meaty bones. If you don't have enough supplement with whole chicken wings and be sure to have chicken feet in your mix (10% of bone weight). For some lip smacking gelatinous goodness.
Bones give mouthfeel
meat gives flavor.

>chicken isn't meat
Crack on, dickhead.

Use the whole carcass if you roast a chicken. Throw it in a bag in the freezer after you use the meat and throw any veg scraps in there as well. Then just simmer the whole lot in a big pot

We've been over this before, Tyrone. It's poultry.

420 BRAISE IT BITCH

I pretty much only buy boneless chicken since its only $1.99 / lb and I only have ~30 minutes a day for cooking. Also, I do my best when cooking to leave minimal scraps.

Is there still any good way for me to make stock?

No.

>Is there still any good way for me to make stock?

1) change your habits to buying whole chicken or bone-in cuts instead. They are cheaper than boneless. Then save the bones for making stock.

2) Just buy ingredients specifically for stock-making. Any butcher should be able to sell you bones. You can also buy chicken backs from many butchers or supermarkets (that's what's left over after chickens are broken down into the more expensive cuts). They're dirt cheap and make great stock. Look for meats that are on sale and then buy them specifically for stockmaking. My local supermarket often has chicken drumsticks on manager's special for absurdly low prices like $0.49/lb. Many supermarkets also sell chicken or turkey necks. Those make great stock, and they're cheap.

You can make a vege one from all of your scraps? But to add bones and some meat adds all the fat and gelatin that you won't get otherwise.

thx to all, will try this
sometimes i buy whole roast chicken and i feel like wasting bones, will try that out

>Just buy ingredients specifically for stock-making...absurdly low prices like $0.49/lb.

This actually sounds like a good option. Ill keep an eye out for cheap shit and try it out sometime

The good thing is that the best types of ingredients for stock contain a lot of bones, and those are also the same things that tend to have a lower cost in the first place. Things like chicken/turkey necks are dirt cheap even when they're not on sale.

how do you guys usually preserve stock? a glass jar, plastic container, and on the fridge. How long can you keep it stored before it spoils, usually?

I either freeze it or pressure can it.

I put mine in those cheap disposable plastic containers with the snap-on lid and then keep it in the freezer.

the fridge is OK but it only keeps a few days.