What is money? Try to avoids economy terms like "exchange" or "payment"

What is money? Try to avoids economy terms like "exchange" or "payment".

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_theory_of_money
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_creation#Money_creation_by_commercial_banks
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barter
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precious_metal
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_standard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_profession_(phrase)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_and_Eve
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Stuff

stuff used to facilitate the exchange of goods and payment for services

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money

It's what your dad gives me when I fuck your mom.

>What is speed? Try to avoid scientific terms like "distance" and "time".

>((($)))

Money is something that I have and you want, so we agree to partake in an agreement where I relinquish money unto you and you wrap your lips around my erect penis.

>Money is the tool of men who have reached a high level of productivity and a long-range control over their lives. Money is not merely a tool of exchange: much more importantly, it is a tool of saving, which permits delayed consumption and buys time for future production. To fulfill this requirement, money has to be some material commodity which is imperishable, rare, homogeneous, easily stored, not subject to wide fluctuations of value, and always in demand among those you trade with. This leads you to the decision to use gold as money. Gold money is a tangible value in itself and a token of wealth actually produced. When you accept a gold coin in payment for your goods, you actually deliver the goods to the buyer; the transaction is as safe as simple barter. When you store your savings in the form of gold coins, they represent the goods which you have actually produced and which have gone to buy time for other producers, who will keep the productive process going, so that you’ll be able to trade your coins for goods any time you wish.

paper with fancy official looking designs printed on it that people agree has value

Shit that is pretty cash

Needing help for your highschool homework?

transferable human labor

Quantifiable value.
Die in a fire Marxist scum

A medium through which goods can be traded indirectly.

For instance, if I want a shirt and have a chicken, I would need to find someone who both has a shirt and needs a chicken, which is a terribly restrictive criterion. With money, however, you can just find someone who wants a chicken and has money (probably earned through labor), then you can trade that money with a different person who has a shirt. With money, the three of you don't actually have to meet up to make the trade, and everyone wins because the one who lost the shirt can now use the money to sate his other needs.

Money's just a tool to facilitate economics from an otherwise slow and rigid system of one-to-one trade.

>What is sound? Try to avoid science terms like "pressure" and "waves".

If that was my goal, wouldn't I rather find it in the textbook or some wiki? That would be the answer the teacher wanted to hear.

I want the red pill.

Dear user, so far you are the only one on here with even a slight grasp of what money is. It sure has shortcomings, but it is a good beginning.

So you're not talking about currency but about modern currency? You should've said so.
Money is basically credit/debt.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_theory_of_money

Not only that, but because of the debt nature of money, banks are able to create currency beyond the central banks by loaning digital assets that simply don't exist.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_creation#Money_creation_by_commercial_banks

Tree pulp

Good, although I would include "services" to add to your definition. Both goods and services can be exchanged for money.

No, I am not talking about currency or modern currency. I am well informed about both hunter-gatherer and early farming currencies(rare collectibles), premodern currencies(coins of rare metals) and modern(fiat) currencies.

I am interested in money. Most of us understand it, almost instinctively. We know we need it. But very few, if anyone, can explain what it is.

The goods, real or financial, which, either because of their rarity or governmental decision, are accepted as a mean of payment. This, like said, reduces the information costs.
With modern currencies the nominal value and the real value are actually quite different since the materials don't cost too much, but they maintain a value because of the trust in the government which emitted them. Also, they're easy to transport and it's harder to make a fraud since there's a monopoly on their emission.

A certificate of the existence of something with value to humans stored somewhere. We don't want to carry all sorts of valuable things around, so we put them somewhere and we print "money" to acknowledge its existence.

You are thinking of capital user. Unless you are thinking of a labour based theory of value, which unfortunately isn't used Irl.
And that is just one on a list of countless things that can be capitalized in any number of rotten ways.
Intrinsically money has nothing to do with capital

>quantifiable value
Are you telling me that my shit is money if I measure it's weight on a scale?
>Marxist
How do you know he is a Marxist?
Best post

A numerical system designed to assign a value (with 2 decimal places, typically) to all tangible items

Value.

A measurement on How many Value a Goods or Services are Worth.

This measurement (currency in each market) was arbitrarily created just like Metric vs Imperial or Celsius & Fahrenheit.

Then this value for each Good or Service in each region/market fluctuate with time according to the law of supply and demand.

The value of each currency (for example US$, Euro, British Pounds, Swiss Franks, Japanese Yen & Israeli Sheckels) fluctuate with time in relation of each other

money is just an idea, it's not a real concept. We can use anything as money. Shit can be money if we wanted to, and we would trade things for turds. My pile of shit is bigger than yours.

Money is the totally ordered commutative algebra on which riches are canonically projected.

>he doesn't know the currency is fiat

poor kid

Money is, always has been and will always be: the paper/stones/coins that prostitutes give you blowjobs for.

It is funny that for how fancy we try to be by making banks and studying "economic principles", money always comes down to this: Will a prostitute suck your dick if you give her some of that paper/stones/coins? If yes, then you got yourself some real money. If not then you have monopoly money, worth less than nothing.

Prove me wrong.

Value arise from Comparison

in the past humans used Barter
> goods or services were directly exchanged for other goods or services without using a medium of exchange.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barter

Then we shifted to Durable & Rare Metals such as Gold & Silver.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precious_metal

And Gemstones like Diamonds, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Pearl & Opal

Roman Empire used also Salt as Currency. When Salt was less common.

US Dollar & British Pound started using the Gold Standard,
a monetary system in which the value of dollar corresponded a certain quantity of gold
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_standard

The Central Banks abandoned & ended the Gold Standard worldwide. After US President Richard Nixon cancelled the convertibility of the United States dollar to gold

U.S. dollar was let to freely float on currency markets. Now Central Banks can create money out of Thin Air through Debt.

Money is created when Debt Grows. When Government Debt grows the Central Bank is allowed to create more money out of thin air to cover it.

Units of work

An item with established value to quantify the trading of goods and services.

An object with an arbitrary value assigned to it.

>prostitutes give you blowjobs for $$$

The World Oldest Profession
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_profession_(phrase)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_and_Eve

>Please explain money without using terms that describe money.

A representation of debt

>What is salt
>What is gold
Things that the civilization you live in consider to hold value.

Money is just a standardized form which eliminates many goods trading problems like scamming, deflation depending on the area you are in. (ie, salt is not worth shit in a city next to a salt mine, copper is worthless at the city with a copper mine, but the further you get from that the more each is worth, IS there a word for this?)

t. 110 iq

trust
The only reason you accept money
is that you trust other people to do the same.

Money is a parameterization of value. /thread

The item of representative currency produced by the facilitating government and remaining mostly constant in its value, used to facilitate the trade system on both a macroeconomic and microeconomic level.

i was going to post a response, and then I realized the whole question is asinine. Youre asking someone to describe a complex system that is made up of simpler ideas and constructs, specifically the ones you mentioned can't be used to describe the aforementioned system. It's possible to jump around these words with the use of semantics, but the core concepts that are being represented by words like "exchange" and "payment" are integral to the money system, and thus it can't be described without them.

Build a tower that doesn't connect to the ground. Describe multiplication without addition. You can't. The foundation is the description

a representation of labor.

Store of value.

Store of common (2+ people) value.

A lazy replacement symbol for goods and services.

"I'm too lazy and stupid to learn a trade, so here, have some paper/digits to make up for the apples In removing from your possession so you can go get more apples."
BEHOLD, CURRENCY.

A unit of human motivation

>I can't explain what money is so I'll resort to insults and meaningless comparisons

roleplaying, fake, useless

Show me your explanation of money so I can point to where you allude to (but never say outright) the concepts of exchange and payment, pls.

It's something you barter with