ITT we post our most favorite paintings of all time

ITT we post our most favorite paintings of all time.
I'll start with God Rothko

I don't have one because I've seen thousands.

Gee I love those 2 colours and nothing else

What an inspiring painting

let me guess, i just "dont get it"?

There's nothing to "get"

Time to start dumping REAL paintings

not shit a child can do

Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch.

Realism is shit kek

I love sad uniform sunset man, what a touching work of art.

It's complete nonsense

Why doesn't he paint in the window shade pulls?

That's its strength.

Dunno if this was supposed to be bait or not but I expect a lot of jimmies to be rustled by OPs image

You should see it live. All of his paintings are massive, and they basically always give an extremely strong first impression. If you live in a big city chances are that there's at least a Rothko in one of your local museums. Go see it.

Senpaitachi

>That's its strength.
Nonsense is strength?
What is your opinion of stupidity?

Seriously, can someone explain that to me? What makes this great?

I prefer Magritte or Dali.

>it's good because these 2 colours look great on a really big canvas

I'd rather go see this massive painting live

The very purpose of that painting is simply to trigger people like you.

Always makes me laugh. I love the painting.

Nonsense isn't stupidity.

Is any Rothko work supposed to make sense? Or is it just supposed to exist as an object?

Op here
Posting more God tier paintings. This one is by Nolde

That is some fucking crazy shit.

>it's purpose is to annoy people

yeah right buddy

Nice taste famalam.

>Poorly rendered fags and angels

Northern art is a meme.

It's bizarre people have so much trouble with this.
You'd certainly understand a Rothko if you stood in front of it.

>always give an extremely strong first impression
Funny that no one actually bought the shit when it first came out then, isn't it? Rockefeller and Guggenheim had to pump serious money into the market to get the speculation started.

go back to 2 colours on a canvas, kindergartner

It's like none of the retards arguing one way in this thread know anything about art :thinking:

I may sound patronizing, but trust me, you don't know what you're talking about.
Seeing pic related live is breathtaking, powerful beyond any possible rational explanation.

Give it a try, check if there's a Rothko in your area and go see it.

>As Rothko achieved success, he became increasingly protective of his works, turning down several potentially important sales and exhibition opportunities

says the tard who reacts without adding any value whatsoever

because it is big, that's your reasoning

>Nonsense isn't stupidity.
Yes it is, stupid.

>Child art is bad

Children are pure and have an uncorrupted view of the world. Art and philosophy lament over having lost the pure imagination of children, from Rousseau to Breton.

Okay. What kind of thought goes into a painting with literally two or three shades of orange plastered onto each other?

I'm very curious to know.

Do you have any idea how stupid you sound by saying Rothko or Rembrandt are "shit".
I'm asking for a critique more than "two colors on a canvas" and "northern art is a meme".
No one in this thread is contributing anything.

What?

>It's really hard to do some rudimentary research on Rothko

You're a genius art historian. When's your book getting published?

Why isn't nonsense stupidity?

>important sales and exhibition opportunities
You are talking about money, not art.
Rockefeller and Guggenheim were right, speculate the market high enough, and stupid people will buy anything.

>painting after Malevich
'okay'

>posting anything before or after 19th century
>subject =/= classical or oriental
>not academic
>why desu?

>inb4 art is subjective

Yeah, and you like the painting you linked me only because there are men doing stuff. It is easy to deconstruct art and build a strawman with the remains.

My argument is not that "it's just big": my argument is that when you factor all the elements from his paintings and murales you obtain a breathtaking, powerful, sublime effect.
The dimension of these paintings are part of the piece of art itself, and shouldn't be disregarded.

Sorry I didn't type up an essay on how both Dutch Golden Age painting and High Modernism are good in their own ways since both come from different cultural and theoretical contexts and fulfill the requirements of each accordingly.

It's a meme, non-literature thread. It gets the response it deserves.

Will you relate to me your intense disdain for poetry?

>tfw no qt gf to go to art exhibits with

I'm just asking. I never said I was a genius. For all you know, I could know absolutely nothing

>no one actually bought the shit

Yes I am talking about money because you were.

Who fucking cares anyway? Greenbergian formalism was prevalent for only 25 years maximum.

19th century is literally the worst century for art.

>Rothko
Anybody who likes Rothko has shit taste in art.

I think Gauguins naked natives are literally the only major artworks from this time period that I'm not particularly fond of, i'd almost say they trigger me. Not that they're bad in anyway, just not my cup of tea.

Why?

No

Excellent meme.

It's when the middle-class started investing heavily in art and boy did they have shit taste.

>Greenbergian formalism
WTF?
BTW, that Rothkook picture you posted is upside down.

Wow it's fucking nothing.

I'm not OP.

Artists got sick of Abstract Expressionism 50 years ago.

epic.

>implying the pre raphaelites or the romantics were shit

kill yourself. 19th century had one of the most diverse periods in existence concerning art with the emergence of more modern and classical characteristics all existing in one time frame.

you are a faggot. there is so much to love from the 19th century. muh merchant class isn't enough to discredit it all.

Not by Bosch, but Netherlandish Proverbs is another goodie.

I'm sure you'd rather see some sort of photo-realistic drawing done in software or maybe an anime character.

This is touching, but I don't know why.

Damn you didn't even name good 19th century movements.

Kek

I know A LOT about art and this is the best thing I have EVER seen.

Its like a dream.

they're ones i enjoy, anyone writing off a century of art doesn't actually deserve being taken seriously.

That's basically what you posted.

Fucking plebs

Love Bruegel.

Anyone saying one century is above others likewise doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.

No, that's not it.

Bruegel, Bosch, and that other guy are basically the same guy

Not even. Bosch was one of a kind.

I WAS FOLLOWING THE
I WAS FOLLOWING THE
I WAS FOLLOWING THE

How do I transcend the knee-jerk reaction of just outright dismissing modern art because of its (lack of) aesthetic qualities?

Should I just start going to modern art exhibits and see them in person, or is there some good literature that can help me understand modern art?

What do you mean by 'aesthetic qualities'?

Or even 'modern art'?

>I'm sure you'd rather see
Quit being condescending. Nobody gives a shit about "Modern" art anymore.

I've tried seeing modern art in person and it didn't help.

Goya has too many good ones that i can't choose

Eh, three of a kind.

Spanish art in general has some heavyweights all the way back to El Greco. It's severely underrated.

One trick pony.

This is another goodie. Hilarious.

I miss snow.

No one underrate Spanish art. What planet are you on matey

Fuck off, you know what I mean.

The other two guys were Bosch wannabe posers.

I mean, who else could come up with this meme face?

>Spanish art
Always superb, except for Spicasso. Latin American, especially Mexican, is currently the best. el Greco was a Greek.

Literally no one posts any Spanish art in however many countless art threads there ever are on Veeky Forums except for the occasional Goya.

> Veeky Forums threads are indicative of art criticism

Top kek.

yeah, do it, i love going to art museums, the bad thing is they sometimes place the paintings next to whatever they want and then you have a horrible mishmash of styles and eras that is just unpleasant

it's fun if you go with someone, i went with a qt once and it was fun, we made jokes like pointing at the fire extinguisher and say "look they have a Duchamp"

also i saw a Rothko in person and was not impressed, the guy is shit

i remember this from Tarkovsky's Solaris

I never claimed it was underrated in art criticism. That was your interpretation.

Ya dude! Picasso and his infinite transition, total shit.
I really hate him because. . .
well. . .
um

true

also true. really dwarfs everybody except maybe the Italians
but didn't el Greco spend his formative years in greece? or am i thinking of someone else