Édouard Louis (born Eddy Bellegueule; October 30, 1992) is a French writer

>Édouard Louis (born Eddy Bellegueule; October 30, 1992) is a French writer.

>[At the age of 22] he published En finir avec Eddy Bellegueule, an autobiographical novel. The book was the subject of extensive media attention and was hailed for its literary merit and compelling story. The book also gave rise to debate and controversy over the perception of the working class. It was a bestseller in France and has been translated to over 20 languages

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/83297371
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fils de riche.

>"Louis grew-up in a poor family supported by government welfare: his father was an unemployed factory worker and his mother found occasional work bathing the elderly. The poverty, racism and alcoholism which confronted him during his childhood would become the subject of his literary work"

Fuck off racist

False btw.

Any proof?

>The book was the subject of extensive media attention and was hailed for its literary merit and compelling story.

so the bobos who want to pretend they're edgy found a new houellebecq?

Fuck off ed no one wants to read your shite

The fact that this thread has been overlooked in favor of meme threads shows how fucking stupid most of you people are.

see
i'll bet money he's mediocre at best

>OP (age of 33) is an obese virgin "neckbeard" with an inferiority complex suffering from chronic masturbation and anxiety. Lives with his mother. Keeps numerous urine bottles.

So start the discussion... I read the book. The language is simple and precise. It's Hemingway simple not Tao-Lin-I'm-an-autist simple. I thought that was good. The book starts with a story from somewhere in the middle of Eddys youth, then rebegins chronologically. I diskiked that. Oftentimes the writing tried to much to generate a picture, a lot like you would describe a movie scene.

The first half was great. The content about the poor lower class families was great. I was surprised when I realized the book was not set in 1950. This "twist" did not seem forced. The narrative didn't drastically change after the "reveal". Great execution on that.
All descriptions seemed great. You really get the atmosphere, despite everything being heavy on visuals.
The quality really drops in the second half. The exact point is where the boys assfuck each other in the shed. After that the book tries too hard to push its "being a faggot im the countryside is hard" agenda. The quality of the language also dropped.
Great first half. Rather bad second half. I'd recommend reading until after the assfucking. Would be a good experience then.

I was recently surprised to discover just how much urine a full bladder could produce. A single bottle rarely suffices.

What's the deal with people ITT claiming he's a fraud?

I knew it was about being a homo rather than being poor

I'm an outside spectator to the French literature scene (German) but I assume it has to do with him using his roots im a poor family and homosexuality as a selling point, depicting them as real. Meanwhile it appears he did not face any oppression or hardship in his life, maybe just less. I really don't know to be honest. It would explain why the second half seemed forced to me though. The depiction of poverty low class people seemed genuine though.

vimeo.com/83297371
Édouard Louis - En finir avec Eddy Bellegueule

But didn't he recently go to court in France because the Moroccan guy who raped him sued him since it was obvious who it was IRL?

I don't know about that and can't research it on mobile. If he is geniune though he is very bad at writing about his experiences related to homosexuality.

There's been enough enquiry about his native village, family, neighbours etc. Not a "fils de riche" at all. A good client for rich bobos, though.

yeah, more or less, but it's not and will never be as mainstream as Houellebecq. People who like Edouard Louis are only leftist intellectuals, sociologists etc.

>I was surprised when I realized the book was not set in 1950
Yeah same here. It's quite striking. Some parts of Europe look like thirrd-world.
I don't remember having the same exact feeling about the assfuck scene and the second half, but agree about the first half being better.

Yup
He wrote a second book maybe one year ago - about a guy who tried to rape him (or rob him ? or both ?). Still true facts. The funny part is that the guy in question, an arab gay guy he probably met on Tinder, tried to file a lawsuit, claiming that he can be recognized in the book. Being absolutely unknown to anyone, his claim was rejected in court.

>Oftentimes the writing tried to much to generate a picture, a lot like you would describe a movie scene.
first indication that a book is utter shite.

This will become more and more prevalent, especially among young writers influenced by visual media. Movies, the upcoming "cinematic" shows (Breaking Bad etc.) videogames and even graphic novels/comicbooks all follow the same scheme of presentating their message and lead to an idealization of the visual. Young readers praise authors able to create an image in their heads when in reality this is the easiest part. Depht behind the image is discouraged.
I completely agree with you btw. Very few books do this right. Inherent Vice was a notable counter example. It was very cinematic, but great nontheless.

Bog off normie, DFW was a massively TV-inspired writer. His novels read like episodes of some zany tv show.

like the other user said, a few books uses this style of writing well, and Infinite Jest is one of them. now the funny part is tv-inspired... that term is quite the infinite jest

same thing is happening with cinema. Poetry cinema and stuff that could make one asks questions is completely disappearing to the profit of the visually pleasing cinema. less straub, more refn...
though nothing will surpass the free jazz prose, created and killed by Céline