Chem. Eng. here. Working in Petroleum

Chem. Eng. here. Working in Petroleum.

I can't stop watching Elon Musk talks and future Artificial intelligence. I think software and things like that will be very important to me and wondering what kind of software/programming/coding I should learn to be better at all of that.

I'm even considering switching into software engineering.

Can we talk about the future of robots and the impact tey will have on all of our lives?

don't switch, you will be happier with the money you'll soon be making than you would competing with Ranjeev and Cho

I want to learn coding in my spare time. This shit is amazing.

First step: stop calling it coding

Read your SICP and stop trying to predict the future.

Programming, it is called programming.

people who have been coding since they were 14 and spent countless hours every day on it for 15 years will be the ones coding AI while you would start from scratch and struggle to get an internship in your new field

to accelerate faster you are better off advancing in your current field, looking into the applications of software in it and starting your own business

I still wouldn't mind having a good general knowledge of it. Honestly, there is a lot of software in chemical. I know about a year of C++, but I don't understand programming really.

unfortunately, as ai surpasses or becomes indistinguishable from humans in certain areas, it gives an enormous advantage to those who posses it.

If you cannot code, in 10 years you will be obsolete

organizations with undemocratic interests can easily apply ai to overcome the will of the people.

That's how I feel. This is the future. I want to build bots for my house.

you won't be obsolete. it just won't really matter what you do or think or want.

do you seriously believe chemical engineering is anywhere near as employable as software engineering?

so you guys are saying I should move into electrical instead of software?

and who is elon anyway? i had never even heard of the man until i came here.

really, the best possible outcome one could hope for is a reasonably benevolent world government.

this really does not bode well for us.

Depends where you live. Here in Ireland ChemEng industry (mostly pharma and biopharma) is half the GDP.

it makes me envious of people who do not understand yet. it's not a meme, and he's not overstating the danger in the slightest.

you all appear to make light of it, but really, this is horrible

and i'm not a crazy person, just extremely concerned by what i'm seeing

Artificical Intellgicnce wiisl takke awaaaz the joybs.

Canadian is like 60% oil...PFFTTSSHHFFTTPP

Danger....Or Happiness?!

Tell me more

I'm actually really more interested in homes off grid... Solar + Probably automating a small garden for personal use.

>Tell me more

if i wanted a psychiatrist, i'd use the one in emacs