>i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg
>i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:

Parker's Scavenger Trilogy. Anyone familiar?

old savage sword comics pretty good

Kellhus did nothing wrong

Hello never visited Veeky Forums came her specifically for something like this thx op :P

>thx op
>general was a regular thing since 2015
You wot m8?

Hello stranger. To fit in here you need to:
A. Make your own book chart (use any categories you like)
B. Defend it vigorously from cretins
C. Rage on every other user's charts

We also accept the posting of an as yet unposted book containing feminine felines in lieu of the preceding :3

Got a torrent for these?

should be on TPB

>tfw everyone used to rage on my charts
>tfw everyone is now raging on "past 20 years" chart user
Oh, how the tables have turned.

Anyone here can help me out with epub of The DemonWars Saga by R.A. Salvatore? My country has TPB blocked and I thought it would be easier to get it from here.

I'm sick of WORLD BUILDING and EXPOSITION.
What should I read if I simply want something engaging from start to finish?

Need a good audiobook.

I've already read all of vance and wolfe. suggestions?

Locke Lamora maybe?

Thanks but I read it. I didn't really enjoy it though... that brand of humor doesn't work on me.

@ the guy who recommended Black Jewels trilogy: Woah, I just saw it's not actually a trilogy but 9 books. Do the first 3 books conclude well? I don't really want to read something that long.

Why is WoT conspicuously absent from the fantasy recs?

How "hacky" is something like resurrection in a sci-fi story?

I have three generations of "main character" in my story, kinda like how Star Wars is going to three generations now (assuming Rey is Luke's daughter). The first fought a focused part of the war in a couple of areas, the second (their children) went to an old powerful tree-city fortress and reclaimed it, built up its army. She died in one battle, and he died a couple years later changing a doomsday disease weapon so that it would kill the enemy as well (who were normally immune to it). He had a Dune-style knife fight with the main nemesis of the story, and pushed him off into a pit of energy.

If this story sounds fucking terrible and autistic, that's because it is. Just bear with me.

His son basically replaces him as leader of the forces of good, except he is more of a commander than the guy who got shit done, if that makes sense. His sister is more like that, and she also has more evolved psychic powers than the rest of her family, due to her being an "abomination" a bit like Alia in Dune. Rather than "lucky reflexes" she has outright visions of the future and spirit-world type stuff. She also starts having visions of her dead father whom she never met (the guy who fell into the energy pit). Now there is also a third faction in this world, who were residing in the hollow center of the planet where they were confined after fabricating it, because by their genetics were considered obsolete and impure. They have much higher tech than either of the other factions but are much less numerous. That said, I am thinking that they could have some weird quantum-reassembly bullshit that could resurrect her father, assuming she can find it. Would be a good quest for her at least. But I am unsure if I should do it. For one, his children are kinda the next generation, even though I don't like them quite as much. For another he might not have much place in the story. But I badly miss this guy, I have memories and feels associated with him that are difficult to explain. I had this character in my life for years and years, and he and his wife are the two I regret killing off the most.

I'm aware the first response to this would likely be "this sounds so retardedly bad that being more hacky and cliche wouldn't change anything" but I ask if you could please ignore how autistic this is.

Also I know I've asked this before so sorry for repeating the question

Mistborn

wow fuck you OP, what did it say? I can't find the post in archives.

Chronicles of Amber doesn't waste much time.

This. Nine Princes in Amber is pretty much right to the action.

Yeah Sanderson mostly jumps right into it, and builds the world around the story

>new to lit

How would he know that?

Reading comprehension is not Veeky Forumss strongest ability

>doesn't want world building
>recs Sanderson

dunno about that

meant

Mistborn doesn't do much world building. You jump right into the story. It's not like Stormlight Archives.

You shouldnt even be downloading filez without a VPN mate.

Why is it that most of the best female protagonists in fantasy come from male authors and most of the best female fantasy authors write about male protagonists?

>The Way of Kings
Really?
I have only read a few of Sanderson's books, but that is by far the weakest of those.
I couldn't even be bothered to read the whole thing.

Yes it ends well. I never read the other 6 books.

The Lord of The Rings

>every fucking thread till you like it

You haven't read much, have you?

have a gander at my wares

What are some sci-fi books that involves super-intelligent AI taking over or destroying humanity?

I think this is only like the third time I posted it....

Neal Asher polity shit is AI government

Why don't you guys like Shannara?
The first trilogy is still one of my favourite stories (though it obviously steals a bit much from LoTR).

three times too many faggot

I don't think I've ever seen this posted here.
I have really fond memories of reading it when I was young, but I don't know how it holds up now.

So, been reading Brent Weeks and Peter Brett. Are they considered good reading? I want to know if I'm considered to have good taste.

Powers and world logic is extremely uninteresting, to be honest.
How well you can string it together and make a believable universe with interesting characters to present is what decides if it's going to be good or bad.

Anyone ever read KJ Parker's Engineer Trilogy? Just finished first book. Its got some aspects I like, some I dislike (seems very unnatural in some respects).

I am half way in and I can't stop thinking about how terrible this book is.

Anyone else read this?

I thought it was entertaining, not great, but not terrible.

The Scavenger-trilogy is possibly his best.

I found it full of cliches and tropes.
I didn't hate it though.

every fucking thread

It was alright. If you didn't like this one you'll hate the second

Black Company

>polity shit
You mean this in a good way right user-kun?

The only thing I hate about this series is the author. He said all 3 books were done and it's been 10 years and still no third book

Holy shit Red Rising has a horrible beginning. My friend warned me about it but I was still surprised. It reads like a parody of young adult clichés. The rest of the book is alright but I can't imagine how many people dropped it just because of that shitty start

All authors with terry in their name needs to be avoided like the plague.

Does this get a main plot?
I'm getting tired of "adventures" starting and ending in the space of two pages.

I almost laughed out loud when the witch told the demon face guy to go meet the justice god and it just happened a few sentences later and ended.

Granted, it's a good book and I'm enjoying it, but the density of action is a bit draining.

I tolerate it somewhat.
Terry uses the same formula for practically every book in it though.

Terry Brooks creates nice and atmospheric worlds, in my opinion.

When you get to Cugel, yes. The first book/section is a short story collection.

Great, thanks.

y-yes

I too was gonna drop it at that fucking 2 finger salute aka hunger games cringefest, but the user that shilled it to me told me to get past it, and boy am I glad I stuck with it.

>Terry Brooks creates nice and atmospheric worlds, in my opinion
I bet you, your father, or your mother's husband has Terry in their name.

this. more hyped for continuation than any other series this year.

He should put out a revised version and delete all the hunger game residue from the start of the book.

I write fantasy. Unfortunatly i write in spanish so im not going to post anything -unless someone here understand spanish-.

But im not here for that. Im here to say that if anyone here has a finished fantasy book i am willing to read it. I always want to read fantasy books from other amateurs like me and sadly no one around me writes them.

I promise not to steal anything, throught you would just have to trust me. But seriously i have ideas for a shitton of novels, i dont need to steal anything and id feel bad if i did that.

Im also doing this cause i wish someone did it for me.

My name is Trym

That's really nice of you user. Stop writing in Spanish and someone would probably read your work

What about raping Proyas?

I dont know english well enough to write in english.

About how many pages does it last? I want to power through in one go instead of slogging it out over short sessions so it doesnt burn me out

I need to read faster to ne able to meme with you guys.

Can we add TKAG to the charts?

Price of Thorns

>womameme author
>making anything good

LEL

It's the first 15-20% of the book , or Part 1. Don't know the page count

>(though it obviously steals a bit much from LoTR).

Steals a BIT too much?
The entire fucking book is LOTR in post apoc setting that's literally the only difference they have (plus the sword of truth or whatever)

Well, Tolkien died - I'll take whatever scraps I can get, okay!??!?? Back the fuck off!!!?

Neither do most of the posters in this thread

Oh, Stevian "womanhater" Hearthbound has woken up.

If Stevian really is the womameme shitposter he'd be doubly cancerous.

Are you a womameme or are you a redditlord of cancers?

Nice buzzwords faggot.

>le fedora meme

So that latter then.

The cancerous Hunger Games lasts for 99% of the first book until the very end.

immortals after dark audibooks, or the real deal. seriously. do it. high/hallucinogenic seeds if you listen to the audio. like fucking movie Dark Skye.

kresley cole homes

Are there any books similar to Dark Souls?
thanks in advance

The line of books by Kresley Cole?

Anons know any novels similar to Ready Player One? Just got into the virtual world themes and RP1 felt really slow at the beginning so I need something even better.

Is that book western Sword Art Online?

For the win, by Corey Doctorow, is similar in that the protagonists engage in an MMO for most of the plot.

The novel has mixed reception and reviews. But you can read most of his work for free. So I can respect the guy.

I'd like a new book of SF short stories by a single author to add to dip into between reading novels. I like Philip K Dick, Theodore Sturgeon, Asimov, Lovecraft, Ray Bradbury. I don't like Harlan Ellison, Arthur C Clarke or much hard SF.

I'd say RP1 is a more expansive universe compared to SAO. I won't spoil much but if you're into the 80's to 90's pop culture, RP1 is highly recommended.

Interesting user.

So I got 'The Magic of Recluse' as a secret santa and its been sitting on my shelf. How shitty is this book gonna be?

You should try fanfictionnet. They have fanfics of different languages in there. Might as well try uploading yours.