Brehs, I want to study engineering, but I can't decide which type. I've narrowed it down to

Brehs, I want to study engineering, but I can't decide which type. I've narrowed it down to
>electrical and electronic
>civil
>petroleum
Wut do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UdQ8dvMbCm8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_housing_bubble
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Recession_in_the_United_States
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_property_bubble
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_estate_bubble
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble
youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_engineering#Overview
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>having the capability to study petroleum engineering and not doing it
>petroleum
>the substance modern society runs off of
nah user, become a civil engineer. So little kids can take shits.

>modern society
>modern
But user, shouldn't you be more worried about what future society is going to run off of?

Until everybody born after the year 1980 dies, it's petroleum. Oil barons will buy out and suppress studies of alternative energy until they can't anymore AKA die of old age.
Why do you think Elon Musk swapped from eletric cars to lets go to Mars? Only one of those things runs on fuel and not electricity.

Petroleum = best paid engineering job during oil boom however no jobs & layoffs during oil crisis (as during now)

Electrical and electronic = 2nd best starting pay , with the hardest level of math & physics, with this degree you can also get a software engineering job. You have to love & be very good at Math, Physics & Programming.

Chemical = 2nd best mid-career pay but also the hardest class & lab workload. You have to love & be very good at Chemistry. You will work in Chemical Industry.

Civil = Glorified Architect. You will be involved with Political Corruption. Brainlet level of Math & Physics. You have to love & be very good at
manage people, socialize, "do it yourself" stuff & love stuff like wood, concrete & dirt. A Master or PhD degree is required to be allowed to design high Skyscrapers & Bridges.

youtube.com/watch?v=UdQ8dvMbCm8

Do life engineering, aka medicine. You'll make 400k being an aneasthetist consultant.

EE is the most diverse, most applicable for everyday shit (easily do EE projects in your house compared to others), and has some black magic in it.

Depends, are you into
twinks, bears, otters, circuit queens, chubs, pups, gipsters, or Donald Ducks?

>black magic in it.
What do you mean?
Fucking kek.
Some of you guys really don't like civil engineers, huh.

I did EE but looking back on it I wish I did civil. Civil is low stress high pay and constantly in demand in larger cities.

But what about EE?

Its okay but it is kinda hard to find the job you like, I ended up moving to NYC and just doing Java development lmao

Not OP, but in torn between mechanical and ee. Redpill me on both

>inb4 le engineer brainlet only math phd or bust

i'm doing ee (electronic) personally because it seems most useful in day-to-day life, and because all the parts of physics i find interesting are contained in ee

if u want fat stacks then petroleum

I am in chemical engineering and its pretty good. It is also known as "universal engineering" because you can work in a vast array of services.

If you would take civil and petroleum but not computer, you may have fallen for Veeky Forums memes.

if you want a job pick civil, electrical, mechanical, or computer. chemical is legitimate, but the chem industry is shit now

stay away from meme-engineering fields

Why is OP writing off Mech?

Easily the comfiest engineering field, regarding both college workload and job market.

Electrical is the most future proof of all of these. But if you want to stack paper go petroleum and work for the Saudis.

>Until everybody born after the year 1980 dies
...human extinction?

Civil currently has the best job market but they all shift around. EE has a shitty job market because it unironically suffers from pajeets taking jobs and unlike CS where that also happens, EE has stagnant job growth. Petroleum is literally "$ when oil good, no $ when oil bad" so you should do ChemE instead of PetroE so you can still do oil but at least have options when its fucked.

Civil currently has the best job market but they all shift around. EE has a shitty job market because it unironically suffers from pajeets taking jobs and unlike CS where that also happens, EE has stagnant job growth so it can't offset it. Petroleum is literally "$ when oil good, no $ when oil bad" so you should do ChemE instead of PetroE so you can still do oil but at least have options when its fucked. CivE have beow average pay for engineering (although it gets very high in management positions), ChemE/PetroE has the highest (but purely because of oil) and EE has second highest. However since job markets shift around you should just figure out which one you enjoy the work of the most and do that one.

CivE is the most diverse dingus, this isn't even debateable. CivE has 5-6 different subfields that all are in demand and EE has like 2-3 which are all stagnant in job growth

What are you talking about? At my mid tier uni there were 8 specializations for EE undergrad, 7 were good, 1 was extinct with nobody really taking it. At my grad school right now there are 15 different areas to pick from. There are plenty of applications of EE and many people I know get job offers/interest without even applying and before graduating. 95% of graduates either got a job or were going onto more schooling.

>Petroleum is literally "$ when oil good, no $ when oil bad"

Civil is literally: "$ when construction boom, no $ when construction/housing bubble."

>Civil currently has the best job market
Until Cyclical Hosing Bubbles. Where there are massive layoffs & all jobs disappear.

Just like Petroleum Engineering

Seems that nobody remember the last Real estate bubble in USA & Ireland. From 2007–2009.

When many CivilE lost their Jobs & Recent Graduates could not find any Job.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_housing_bubble
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Recession_in_the_United_States
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_property_bubble
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_estate_bubble

Everybody Forgot about the Dot-com bubble
(aka NASDAQ Bubble or Internet Bubble)
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble

When most Electrical & Software Engineers lost their Jobs, becoming Unemployed. & Recent EE graduates could not find any job.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble

Between 1990 and 1997, the percentage of households in the United States owning computers increased from 15% to 35%

As a result of the rapidly-increasing usage of the Internet, many investors were eager to invest, at any valuation, in any company that had one of the Internet-related prefixes or a ".com" suffix in its name, leading to a stock market bubble.

An unprecedented amount of personal investing occurred during the boom, and the press reported the phenomenon of people quitting their jobs to engage in full-time day trading.

The value of the Nasdaq Composite stock market index, which includes many technology companies, rose from 1,000 in 1995 to 5,000 in the year 2000.

During the bubble, the valuations of companies in the Tech sector of the economy increased extremely rapidly.

Several companies that produced network equipment were irrevocably damaged by the debt taken on to fund their expansion and went bankrupt, causing what is known as the telecoms crash. However, some communications companies that supplied equipment and outsourced manufacturing, such as Cisco and Qualcomm, were able to survive.

Although their stock prices declined significantly, 48% of dot-com companies survived through 2004.

Nevertheless, laid-off technology experts, such as computer programmers, found a glutted job market. University degree programs for computer-related careers saw a noticeable drop in new students.

Anecdotes of unemployed programmers going back to school to become accountants or lawyers were common.
On March 10, 2000, the NASDAQ Composite peaked at 5,132.52, but fell 78% in the following 30 months.

No career is immune to boom and bust cycles, although PetroE is more vulnerable than most because its reliant on a single commodity that booms and busts like a madman. This is shown by and The difference between PetroE and CivE/EE is that the latter two have other job options when their area pops and also isn't reliant on a single commodity. CivE just happens to have a better job market than EE right now. But despite this note that I mentioned job market changes so he should do what he wants but ChemE instead of PetroE for job options similar to CivE and EE

>Why do you think Elon Musk swapped from eletric cars to lets go to Mars?

Because hes a fucking serial entrepreneur you stupid nigger. He also has his hyperloop, the boring company, solar roof stuff, and deliveries to ISS. Its not like he gave up, or even lessened his involvement with tesla motors. He just does new shit all the time. Also rocket fuel that would get us to Mars has no petroleum component. Its liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen. Read a book brainlet.

Oil & Gas Prices are so low now

How Electric Cars Cucks can even Compete?

Electric Cars are so more expensive.

BIG OIL INDUSTRY

Fuel Efficiency is what Consumers Crave .

Dominant Oil Industry is the Alpha.

Are You mad Electric Cars Bois?

>electric cucks
Kek

go for the one with most QTs

I'm married and have a child on the way. Not interested in chasing pussy.

>fuel efficiency is what consumers crave
How about lack of need for fuel? It really doesnt get any more fuel efficient.

youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

>thinking carbon tax isn't coming
have fun in petrol cuckboy while it lasts

Go for civil.

Petroleum is very volatile and tracks closely with the current political climate. Might be easy to get a job now but in four years it might be really easy to lay you off too.

I'd advise against electrical for purely selfish reasons. I'm going into EE and I don't want competition so stay clear motherfucker.

Yea he didn't think that over too well.

>I'd advise against electrical for purely selfish reasons. I'm going into EE and I don't want competition so stay clear motherfucker.
Don't worry, I'm from Denmark.

lol if the carbon tax happens then we're all fucked regardless of profession

Oh then you're fine. Go for electrical, it's cool as shit.

Never immigrate to America though...

Thermo is a bitch though, Also Fluids, I feel like mech is cool but some classes change a lot in terms of difficulty, so you gotta be careful with that.

The civil and eng courses at my uni all cover fluid mechanics/dynamics.

Yeah but it's different according to your major, in mech, thermo is one of the main components of your career, you need to learn it in detail, in chem eng you see it often, so you have to be good at it and in something like industrial you dont really need it, so the classes tend to be simple, i'm not sure about civil though.

A carbon tax would result in a economic boom. You are taking money from dinosaur corporations who are not really investing in anything these days and putting it back into booming markets (solar panels and wind energy are both booming). In the process you are creating a fuck ton of jobs because you are overhauling a large chunk of the economy by incentivising businesses to reduce their carbon footprint.

>hardest level of math & physic

>only have a brief introduction to modern physics

Engineers sure are brainlets

>EE is the most diverse
Not really.

>God tier:
Software/Computer engineering
> Good tier:
Mechanical engineering, Industrial Engineering
> Decent tier:
Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering
> Bad tier:
Chemical Engineering
> Shit tier:
Petroleum Engineering, Nuclear Engineering

Modern physics is speculative garbage. Show me that it has uses other than you using it show everyone how smart you think you are.

are you retarded? chemical engineering is the highest paying phd for a reason.
software "engineering" is just code monkey.

CE is really specific, it doesnt have a big job diversity. The tiers are only based on job diversity, not pay or difficulty.

>industrial above civil and EE
>CompE and SE above EE when an EE can do their jobs and not vice versa

Do you know what diversity is

>industrial above civil and EE
You obviously have no idea what IE is.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_engineering#Overview

Machine learning, logistics, management, operations research, ergonomics, finance, automation, human resources, statistics, process engineering, plant design, product design, etc.

It literally can't get more diverse. If you think Civil and Electrical are more diverse, you must be retarded or really biased.

Wops,

Ehh idk dude. I'm studying EE right now and I won't be taking any systems programming, algorithms, or data structure classes which I would assume a good software developer would need.

Just go mechanical and become a real, solid engineer. You'll get plenty of electrical engineering courses anyway. It's even surprisingly easy to double major, because the more specialized stuff is mechanical

>civil
Cap out at 100-125k, but lots of jobs
>electrical
Long hours, very hard, but ncie pay at 175-200k
>petroleum
Live in isolated region for first 15 years, work a lot, but make 250k
Which one are you most fit for?

Did not know you were ranking diversity. In that case maybe move chemE up one but I could see the rest.

>university doesn't offer chemical engineering
is it still a good idea to major in chemistry and go for some sort of graduate program for chemical engineering? how do I become a chemical engineer

Why can't you just find a chem e university?

Then go for petroleum engineering. Very few women study it and those that do are not that attractive anyway.

why would I transfer from an ivy league that's paying me a full ride

You didn't make those details clear lad.

fair enough, just wondering if I should aim to transfer to MIT, Caltech, or just continue on with chemistry and supplement with postdocs. I just want a stable, flexible career to raise a big family with

Just get a masters in ChemE

Don't do ChemE
There are no jobs and internships are scarce. It is by far the biggest joke out of the "non-meme" engineering disciplines.

Go civil or mechanical.

Engineers don't make anywhere near that amount of money.

Assuming you don't go into management that is accurate in general for mid to late career civE and PetroE and for EE if you work in silicon valley

I'm a professor in chemical engineering, so obviously I'm a bit biased, but if you plan to get a PhD I think mechanical, electrical, and chemical (petroleum is basically chemical with some classes that diverge in the 4th and maybe 3rd year) are all fine undergrad degrees. It is also fairly easy to switch from one to another for a PhD if you have good fundamentals. I would not recommend Civil Engineering, it is very applied and tough to transfer out of.

Well yea, in Silicon Valley the salary's are going to be really inflated. But anywhere else, a civil engineer isn't likely to break six figures at all and any other engineer will generally peak at low six figures.

Is there a difference between civil electrical engineer and electrical engineer?

$$$ probably

EEs earn a lot more $money$ but there are fewer EE jobs.
CEs earn a less $money$ but there are a lot more CE jobs even in small cities.

Would it be feasible just earning good money and pouring it all in investigation ? Or I am just fantasying?

Can anyone redpill me on CS vs EE?

Is it worthwhile to get a PhD in chemical engineering when you can get a good job with a bachelor's? What's the pros and cons? What would you recommend for a chemistry major who wants to do chemical engineering but doesn't have that option available as a major?

EE is a lot harder, and you end up getting the same job as a CS major so your choice.

You need this chart user

Hope about fuck the ivy league and go to a tech university with cheme which will guarantee you a job

but free money

CivEs typically cap out at around $110 unless they are bad at their job (which is likely since they are too dumb to try to get into management) YMMV based off of location but in general they just break 100k. PetroE gets paid absolute fucktons I don't understand what you are going on about.

You listed Materials Engineering twice, just put it in Good Tier

If he is at an Ivy doing ChemE then he will probably get a job as the Ivies that have ChemE are usually pretty good at engineering. If it doesn't work out he can easily try business.

GR is used in GPS and there's load of quantum shit in computers.

End up getting the same job if you are content being a code monkey*. EEs can certainly get into most CS coding jobs if they focus their efforts toward that path, but EEs have many paths to choose from. Power, communications, signal processing, electromagnetics, RF, analog or digital circuit design, biomedical, optics, fpga, embedded systems, control systems....the list goes on. Some of these definitely require lots of coding, but not the same type that CS plebs do.

They get the same jobs as CS people because there are barely any EE jobs

There are plenty just check job sites.

In comparison to cs there is a big difference in jobs

Does it matter which degree you have? Do employers care?

why is biomedical engineering shit tier?

Why can people never get these tier lists right? It's mechanical and electrical that should be at the top as far as employability, versatility, and prospective salary goes. Nuclear should be at the bottom unless you like having only 3 jobs in the country available to you at a time. Chemical and petroleum can be lucrative but you have to move to the middle of nowhere to find a decent job, and the job market isn't doing too well for them right now.

MechE & EE steals BME jobs everytime.

& on top of that there are so Few BME Jobs for too many BME graduates.

College students flock at BME because the Math is less heavier than EE, ME, CivilE & ChemE

A BME need a PhD to competitive against ME BSc & EE BSc.

It's simulate the feeling of a Chad stealing your girlfriend (ME & EE stealing BME Jobs)

I want to work in neuroengineering? what other option I could have if not biomedical?

The job market for electrical isn't that great either

robotics

Then you have 2 options:

[Option 1] Double Major or do a Major-Minor Combo:
[ME or EE or ECE] + [BME or Bio or Neuro or Biochem]

[Option 2] Focus on a BME PhD & nothing less than a PhD because:
With a BSc you probably wont get a job unless you have a very high GPA + (nepotism) contacts .
With a MSc you might get a job, but it's harder & unlikely in a crowded job market .

Depends on where you live. Here in Melbourne 90% of the Taxi drivers have a bachelors or above in either Mechanical, Civil or Electrical.

>makes ridiculous claim
>no sauce

thanks a lot !

>Power, communications, signal processing, electromagnetics, RF, analog or digital circuit design, biomedical, optics, fpga, embedded systems, control systems

That sounds boring as fuck

>Electrical Engineering
Best bet out of the three
Want one up from that one? Materials Engineering. Shits pretty damn cash.