Let's find out about our fellow Veeky Forums supremacists and learn about their education...

Let's find out about our fellow Veeky Forums supremacists and learn about their education. Please vote and let us discuss the results.

strawpoll.me/13495068

Interesting, so far 40% of the users are phd students. I guess that proves Veeky Forums is full of genii.

>Drawing a conclusion after less than 6 voted
Wew lad

It seems like there are only very few people here that haven't gone to college

I say it with no shame, I'm an undergrad babby. But I'm really surprised that there are PhD students. I mean, from one point of view Veeky Forums is really fun. But from another point of view, I think that if I become a grad student and still post here I might be a fucking loser.

PhD students, how do you deal with this? Are you succesful? Are you the golden boys of your department?

I think it's more about: once an user, always an user.

Probably. But there is another point I forgot to mention. When you live at a university you use the university's internet right?

How do you deal with they potentially finding out you browse Veeky Forums, then saying you are a racist sexist homophobic transphobic nazi and then kicking you out?

How do you defend from this?

I mean, I'm technically a PhD student. I just finished undergrad and start my PhD program in a few weeks.

What subject/where?
Is this a route you'd recommend?
t. Undergrad

Math (dynamics). Won't say the school, but ranked 30 something for context.
I'm doing it for personal reasons and not necessarily job reasons. I wouldn't recommend it to people unless it was something they wanted. It won't help my career more than a master's would.

exact same user, but in different field, cannot wait to start.

They don't care unless the police starts to investigate. Until then, nobody looks inside the logs

>I say it with no shame, I'm an undergrad babby. But I'm really surprised that there are PhD students. I mean, from one point of view Veeky Forums is really fun. But from another point of view, I think that if I become a grad student and still post here I might be a fucking loser.
>PhD students, how do you deal with this? Are you succesful? Are you the golden boys of your department?

I only post here when I have nothing to do. I'm currently TAing some bullshit entry level physics class with 50 people, so my schedule is pretty free.

>golden boy
This is only a thing at shitty schools.

>When you live at a university you use the university's internet right?
>How do you defend from this?

I live in a studio/apartment, like a regular person with a job and an income. The only grad students I know who live at the university are the international students. They have pretty heavy restrictions.

The only way they can do shit is if you violate the TOS which you have to agree to before using their internet. In the 3 institutions I've attended, this agreement is basically "hey don't look at anything illegal or cyberbully other students, kthanksbai." They tend to not really enforce it but people doing a lot of piracy (hundreds of gigabytes) will get their privileges suspended.

It's more likely someone will see you browsing on your phone. But the only time that happened to me it was another user and the only bad thing that happened was him loudly talking about how much he posts troll threads on /pol/. I'd say you're safe.

Strange to see how this poll differs so much from True. I got my PhD, got a good job (at last!) in industry. I just come here for the few gems there are.

Universities must respect academic freedom. They don't always but they should.

needs more options. What about those who've earned a certain degree, are working in industry, but are not finished with education, and will be going back to school to pursue an advanced degree in the future?

problem with that other poll is that it's In a reply to a thread, different types of people will be attracted to that thread and some will avoid it especially considering it's topic.

>posting here as an undergrad
>not a loser
Chad is ramming his post in your oneitis while you shitpost on Veeky Forums

no, we are just normal people as well. But ive been coming here for 9 years or so, not Veeky Forums but other boards. Why would it make you a loser? There is information sometimes here and it's a good place to kill time or just troll /pol/ posters

>tfw technically bachelor of X but currently taking master level courses because I can't be arsed to write my bachelors "thesis"

whoops forgot to remove the (You)

>bachelors "thesis"
that's a thing? for what field?

I just dont know the word for it in english but to get your bachelors here you have to produce some paper under the supervision of a professor, and it takes 50% of a semester to complete. A friend of mine did something about linear transformations/functions (cant remember which) and the "fix point" of those linear transformations after applying that linear transformation a bunch of times. Sorry for not explaining what he did properly since I just had a short and shallow conversation with him about

ohhh im stupid, i did something similar under the guise of a "research project", even though it wasnt really a research project, more like replicate an experiment with slight deviations. The word "thesis" just threw me for a loop

>will be going back to school
>school

Surely you mean "university", not "school".

different countries can have different terms. if he has a degree, i dont think he's going back to highschool.

>>Surely you mean "university", not "school".
>calling modern "universities" anything other than school or daycare for adults

in my experience STEM profs and staff don't give two fucks about your political views, unlike the lib arts staff and general admin

They don't give a fuck what you do, stop getting your information from /pol/.