Test your explanation ability

the rules are these:
you choose one of the following terms, and try explaining it as simply and as well as you can. most important thing is being able to explain it well enough for a complete layman to understand, but at the same time keeping it as accurate as you can.
also, you can't use google or other comments to find inspiration. it has to be all you. after commenting, rate other people's definitions.
the terms you can choose from:
easy mode:
>vector
>electric charge
>energy
>gravity (classical definition)
>information

hard mode:
>time
>entropy
>gravity (GR definition)
>field (the mathematical meaning)
> dimension

let's see what you got. if you wanna define something off the list go for it, but keep it in the same "style" as the other terms.

I choose electric charge. Where to begin...
See attached image

Holy fuck that's Rich Evans.

2/10
not allowed to use pictures or other outside assistance + not understandable at all.

>time

Time doesn't exist.

Time is a unit of measurement used to order sequences of events or figure out the distance that things happened between the beginning and the end of it.

i have a feeling a thread like this would thrive in /x/

Time is what happens when nothing ese happens

A field is a function of Rn to Rn.
>vector
A vector is a set of one or more numbers. These sets need to abide by certain addition and multiplication rules. (they have to be linear)

Wait what about scalar fields? I thought a field is just something that has some value everywhere on R^n. Don't scalar fields go R^n -> R ?

A layman could not understand this. 5/10

Scalars are unidimensional vectors :)

>>gravity
Its a force that points towards the center of the earth.
The fatter you are the harder it pulls. It's the fatophobic force.
It makes

>>field (the mathematical meaning)
It is a mathematical object that assigns a value to every point in a space.
Like temperature, where every place you put a thermometer has a given temperature.

Sure but they don't live in R^n. A map from R^n to R^n maps a vector to another vector of the same dimension. A scalar field maps vectors to numbers. A tensor field maps vectors to tensors. Unless us physicists have been using the terminology wrong this whole time (wouldn't be surprising), fields are just things that have a defined value at every point in the space.

Also what you say isn't the most accurate thing in the world since you need some definition of a scalar as its own thing in order to define a vector space but whatever.

wrong terminology
it is a function from Rn to Rm

Fuck laymen. They don't need to understand that shit.

Tensors don't live in R^m for any m. Also complex scalar fields don't map to R they map to C

>dimension
Maximum number of directions you can define to be mutually orthogonal.

That's a vector field, idiot.

lol temperature isn't a vector dumb dumb

alright
its a function from field An to field Bm.
He asked for vector fields not tensor fields
also how would you define a tensor field?

Thank you for your wisdom oh wise one.
I see that your e peen is bigger than everyone else's

He asked for "fields (mathematical definition), so you are both wrong. A field is a special type of ring, and a ring is a special type of group. Look it up a-holes.

the amount of disorder a system can contain.

Yeah Im explaining vector fields then.
Your explanation on what a field is is crap.
A layman would say a ring? like lord of the rings?

entropy*

What, entropy? No, that's not it.

then what is it?

It's often a measure of disorder but it isn't defined that way. In statistical mechanics it's a log-scale measure of how many possible micro states make up the systems macro state. The macro state is just what we call the overall state of the system (you might describe this with things like temperature, volume, pressure...) while a micro state just refers to any small change you could make to parts of the system that don't meaningfully alter the macro state (swapping the positions of two atoms, changing the velocity of a few atoms...). Entropy basically ends up being a measure of how many different ways a system could exist in the way it does currently, which happens to also be a good measure of how probable the state is (and also, as is most commonly understood, a good measure of disorder). High entropy states are (by this definition) guaranteed to be more likely than low entropy states. This definition of entropy happens to correspond with a separate definition that has to do with heat transfer and is far less intuitive, but it is associated with the irreversibility of a thermodynamic process hence its significance.

Meant to reply to this one

Laymen can suck my dick man I don't give a fuck

nice

Non-laymen don't need your snob ass to explain shit to them.
So you're basically useless.

Good thing I never actually gave an explanation for anything on this thread, only criticisms and complaints. If that's not useful to anyone then I don't know what is.

> If that's not useful to anyone then I don't know what is.
That's right.

0/10

0/10
bad comment. adds nothing to thread.

A field is a set of things that can be added and multiplied with the same rules you use for regular numbers.

Do I win?

>time
big hand goes round clock fast, small hand goes round slow

you can't explain that

The dimension of a space is the number of independent directions you can point in.

Vectors are objects that you can add together, squish, and stretch to get other vectors.

>The dimension of a space is the number of independent directions you can point in.
>3D= infinite directions
you're a faggot

>vector
pointing boi
>electric charge
zapping boi
>energy
moving boi
>gravity (classical definition)
falling boi
>information
uncertain boi
>time
ticking boi
>entropy
dissolving boi
>gravity (GR definition)
stretching boi
mapping boi
> dimension
measuring boi

>Tfw doesn't know what independent means

>He still thinks of vectors as having a "direction" they "point" in

What is a polynomial

a sequence of infinite number with finite support

>implies shitpost would have been less of a shitpost if only user understood function spaces

>pointing boi
I lost

Move "moving boi" from energy to vector, and replace it with "hyped boi" or something.
And replace field with "number boi", since 'mapping' is too general that it applies to just about everything.

so vectors are silly putty?
and what about non spacial dimensions?