What do you guys think of other interests besides for reading?

Hemingway had his bulls, Nabokov had his butterflies, and Tolstoy was a chess enthusiast. Are there certain hobbies that you think are "pleb tier" or perhaps damaging to an artist?

Other urls found in this thread:

chesshistory.com/winter/extra/tolstoy.html
chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=31887
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amateur_chess_players
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

poo fetish is damaging imo

A writer without other hobbies is a shit writer.

Indie Music

>Nabokov had his butterflies
Oh yes, butterflies...of course. So delicate, so small, so hard to catch. So easy to ruin with too harsh a gesture. And yet, the ethereal beauty, the soft down radiating morning light on those butterfly wings. Mmhmm...butterflies.

Chronic masturbation tbqh famalamadingdong

video games are pretty damaging imho.

i dunno. besides reading i mostly draw and listen to jazz. dont really have any judgments about what is or isnt a good hobby. except video games. video games are a pretty dumb way to spend time, not that i care how anyone spends their time. but its certainly something i kinda look down on.

youre speaking too broadly, op. fuck it. just do what youre gonna do and figure it out for yourself along the way. cant bother to worry about judgment.

Exercising.

>Tolstoy was a chess enthusiast
No he wasn't

Lifting
Listening to music
Learning a language
Playing video games with your friends
Film / filmmaking
One -- no more, no less -- autistic otakuesque obsessive hobby

i dont look down on much, but reality tv is really the junk food of the medium

?

chesshistory.com/winter/extra/tolstoy.html

chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=31887

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amateur_chess_players

I used to be big into collecting coins but I can't afford it anymore. My collection as it stands is worth a few hundred dollars, but I'd never part with it.

T.V. is the junk food of society.

I've fallen behind in my chess studies because I decided to dedicate my time to writing. I'm also a guitarist and dabble with other instruments. Both hobbies feature in my writing at times although I try not to get too technical and distract from the narrative.

hes making a joke about pedophilia you dunce

Junk food is the junk food of society.

I'm also a chess enthusiast. Two years ago I became a Candidate Master but since then I've stagnated. I'm a film buff too.

>He looks down on others for specializing in an artistic medium that isn't literature, even though he would never be able to properly analyze any film, videogame, song, painting, etc.

Where do i start learning chess? Any good book recommendation?
I know what the pieces do, but i know nothing about strategy, openings, etc.

For an absolute beginner, Chernev's Logical Chess Move By Move, his commentary and analysis is fucking pleb tier but it'll get you started.

Aron Nimzowitsch, My System. I can't possibly overstate the importance of this book. It's a guarantee that all masters have read this book and acknowledge its influence. After you've read that, read his Chess Praxis.

how does one go about getting a title? do you just have to win certain tournaments or?

>Playing video games with your friends
>One -- no more, no less -- autistic otakuesque obsessive hobby

you are too pleb to be posting here

Thanks user.

Society is the society of society

>paying for the CM title
pic

That's cool, I accept your opinion

If you don't overdue it and you really enjoy them what would be the problem?