East Coast fag here, is this cactus edible? What kind is it?

East Coast fag here, is this cactus edible? What kind is it?

Other urls found in this thread:

thesucculentsource.com/products/san-pedro-pachanoi-cactus-cutting
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also cacti recipes?

>walmart
Seriously? I find this hard to believe.

Well that's not what I expected, but now I'm curious.

chili with cactus is delicious

It's prickly pear. The ripened fruits are sweet. And the cactus pads themselves can be used as a vegetable that tastes a bit like green beans. Take care to remove all the spines

>I believe everything I read and see on Veeky Forums
Search for how to make colored bubble crystals. It's a hit with the kids at birthday parties.

Yes, that is prickly pear. You can not only eat the paddles, but also the fruits when they're ripe. To use fresh cactus paddles, you need to first wear good work gloves. Snip off paddles using clippers or shears, and then snip off the needles as close to their base as possible. Then roast the paddles over an open flame like if you were roasting peppers. Peel off the charred skins and slice the paddle into strips. From there, you can pickle it, saute it, grill it further, etc, and use in tacos, chile verde, salsa, etc.
However, cactus contains mucilage like okra, so treat it the same. Blanching a few times will remove that, or (like in the case of chile verde) it can be used to help thicken dishes.

How do I tell if the fruits are ripe? Are they the purple ones?

You can get high off san pedro, the only bullshit part about that pic is about how easy it is to obtain. Pretty sure it's illegal in most states, if not the entire country.

Yup. You want to wait till they're dark purple, and sort of soft, but not too soft. Those also have little spines, so make sure you wear good work gloves and use clippers. Ripe prickly pear fruit is really good for you, though, and taste delicious as a sweet drink or in cocktails, also added to salsas or sauces.

san pedro isn't illegal.

U can but I hate it. Love the fruit it bears tho
$14!? Don't be an idiot. Shit grows in mexican's front yards AND back yards. Find a Mexican and u can get one for free. Just ask em for nopales (no-pal-ehs).

san pedro is an ornamental cactus that is 100% legal to purchase in the US

Also, the best chaser with some San Pedro tea is strong ginger ale (ginger beer is even better) as it'll cut through the taste and help to settle your stomach.

brb going to walmart

I've bought some small ones at Lowes before after checking a few different places including WalMart so good luck. If you can't find anything around check out this site thesucculentsource.com/products/san-pedro-pachanoi-cactus-cutting
I've bought from them several times and have yet to be disappointed. They used to sell through Amazon but I'm not sure if they still do. They had some of the best prices for the overall size and quality

Also worth mentioning that the flower petals are edible, although not particularly tasty or filling.

Prickly pear. It's sort of like okra. It'll turn into a fibrous chunk of mucous if you over cook it. It can be really good in all sorts of stuff, but on it's own or as the main part of a dish, my favorite is cut into strips, breaded in cornmeal, and pan fried, dressed with a little vinegar and/or hot sauce, served with a buttermilk sauce on the side.

Holy shit I've never thought of that! Where did u learn this?

These things are literally everywhere in south Texass. You can walk onto an empty lot and harvest 100 lbs. The seeds inside are kinda crunchy but it has a nice flavor.

My mom and I started doing it. Sort of a take on how we did okra and how we like catfish and other stuff along those lines.

Thanks bro I'll tell the senpai about it!

bad way to do it. Destroys the psychoactives. this is the most simple shitty way to make the shit. you should feel bad.

wrong, you can order cutting off the internet easily. You want to maybe let them grow after rather than cut them up b/c who knows how they were treated afterwords. growing is extremely slow and hard to do unless you live in proper environment as well.

also be careful on the potency. I've "overdosed" because you can't gauge how they have been grown before you bought them. I've had shit that barely gets me going to extreme trips where I don't want to touch the shit again. At least with bridgesii. I had some san pedros that were weak then next time i tried used bridgesii and got fucked up. Wasn't enjoyable. another reason to grow them yourself so to learn and hone in the proper dose for your level.

just buy some fucking 1p or 2cb nigger

So many people don't see the green bean taste, but it's the best way to describe it. More like canned green beans and not fresh.

Give it a bite and find out.