Reminder that if you don't consider this among the greatest works of 20th century Literature...

Reminder that if you don't consider this among the greatest works of 20th century Literature, you are and will always remain a pleb. Harold Bloom is disappointed in you.

Him or Gene Wolfe?
I am reading both but am curious which people prefer

I prefer Peake but Gene Wolf is excellent as well

>no plot

Are Peake, Wolfe, and Eddison the true patrician triumvirate?

>reading for plot

The Worm Ouroboros is unbelievable. Truly patrician

>reading for endless descriptions of walls

anyone read Mistress of Mistresses or the other books? I've only read Ouroboros, and I loved it.

Bloom is a prostitute and a philistine.

Would you say Gormenghast was all an allegory for how Peake was dealing with his mental condition? When you think about it the rumbling, decaying, castle could be an allegory for how Peake's mind was deteriorating.

That's interesting. His dementia was only serious when writing Titus Alone, but it may have been there for the first two, too. I've read he was also influenced by seeing the Belsen concentration camp just after the end of the Second World War...

Peake was also a kickass artist

Titus Groan or Gormenghast?

Gormenghast has more intrigue and a satisfying climax but I think TG is the better-written book.

I agree. Gormenghast's ending was powerful, after so much build up. Fuchsia's death and the duel came in such quick succession, and her's being so random...

Steerpike remains my favorite villain in literature, and Prunesquallor near my favorite character.

>plebbing to rot

If any man doubt this, I am resolved not to be finished with him until I make of his head a football.

good post

Why doesn't Titus Groan have a plot, user?

Thoughts on Titus Alone? I seem to be alone in thinking it was good, if not equal to the others

Mervin Peake was a fan, somewhere between fin de siecle weird fiction and the later surrealists

And trees.
And Owls
And strange delightful Caricatures of the ghoulish occupants of the abode and their mountains of mildew encrusted gothic crap.
And Back-Stabbing.
And a Christening, which I momentarily misremembered as a boat race.
And a fire.
And a Duel.
Man, this is getting long actually, I'll stop.

Sepulchrave's reacted to the fire as any true Veeky Forumsizen would

>which I momentarily misremembered as a boat race

In your defense, I think there's a part where Titus does this by himself.

Dick move by Steerpike

One of my favorite books, desu

Steerpike is a peerless machiavellian dogheart of the first order.