Start reading Plato

Start reading Plato

He's a good bloke. His lectures on Aristotle and Descartes are really good.

His lectures on Hegel are ~~ ~~ I don't think he is explaining anything and when I finally 'get' a passage I would communicate it in a completely different and straightforward way.

He rated his own book 4 stars on goodreads and I said how that was a weird thing to do and he asked me what's wrong with it and I didn't respond because I was intimidated by his phrasing.

What's the best companion for Parmenides?

this

Choking out a twink while you're fucking him in the ass.

I can't concentrate while fucking someone.

Someone bluepill me on this man. What are good playlists to start with for someone with very basic philosophy knowledge?

Intro to Philosophy

Nothing, no one agrees on Parmenides because it's trash

Serious answer please, I want actual suggestions.

I bet you think Heraclitus is worth reading

Meme answer

There is rarely a full book on any single dialogue (except Republic and Laws). Your best bet is reading relevant sections of more general works (AE Taylor's "plato the man and his work" has ~40 page summaries and commentaries of each dialogue; the bloomsbury companion to plato will have a ~2 page blurb offering more modern and varied perspectives; the cambridge companion to plato may have an essay on it (don't remember right now, but whatever they have will not be a summary, but an investigation of some part of the dialogue)).

You can probably find a book length treatment of parmenides (literally just search "parmenides" on the oxford press site), but at that level you'll be getting extremely academic analysis which is frankly beyond what you can understand as a casual reader, and also beyond what you care about; these commentaries get very stilted very fast for a non academic, and frankly are not worth it unless you're literally a platonic scholar.

I've watched his first two videos on Plato, but he barely actually talks about the actual texts. I get that he's easing his pupils into the right mindset, but does it get better?

Thanks a lot.

do you always have to start with Republic?

Hahaha

No, you always have to start with Apology. You could honestly save Republic for last, as long as you do ultimately read it. If you're impatient, I'd go Apology -> Meno -> Republic.

lol

>start with Republic
Where the fuck you read this? Republic is late Plato. Start with the Trial of Socrates.

>rekt

>save republic for last
>ending with something from the middle of Plato's writing career

???

I've been subscribed to his channel for ages but I never watch his videos because I don't read philosophy.

Nice pasta

You should never start with republic, as others have pointed out. Start with the Trial & Death of Socrates sequence.