Does anyone here know Ancient Greek? How many years would it take me to learn it...

Does anyone here know Ancient Greek? How many years would it take me to learn it, considering that I would study it 2 hours everyday?

Fapping for additional 2 hours every day would be more productive.

it would only take you about a year to learn ancient fapping

A year or two. Ancient Greek is worth it if you have a genuine interest in literature, unless you're a psued who just reads for fashion and can't be assed to actually bother understanding what you read.

Nope, I'm actually interested in reading the Ancient greek literary and philosophical classics from the original sources.
I don't kmow if it matters but I've already learnt Latin in my teenagehood (at this point I'm fluent, I can read whatever I want without any real trouble)

>psuede
I'm all shook up.

>learning dead languages
Well meme'd my bud!

>Learning dead lenguajes

Lol this is why Veeky Forumsfags will never improve from flipping burgers at their local burger joint. What is the point on reading so much if you're just gonna share it with your greasy teenagers co-workers (a.k.a a future enginer ((aka your future boss))).

how about you learn something that is useful for a change like REAL science or Bussines School?

Take my advice kid, i own a mcdonals and only employ "philosophy" graduates to break their spirits and serve it with a happy meal while i force the to smile while doing it.

(:

Years if you go the turbo-pleb meme route of """""""learning grammar"""""""", which no one ever does when they're being forced to learn a language. Buy whichever texts you're interested in with the Loeb bilingual, an ancient Greek dictionary and you should understand it within a few months.

Learning grammar is a meme designed to sell you books you don't need.

Somebody couldn't memorise the declensions

No point learning a language that way.

Let's say you start by deciphering Plato or Homer by translating it all yourself, by the end you've memorized huge chunks of Plato or Homer just out of familiarity.

> memorizing great literature
> memorizing grammar rules for years before you can even begin to read great literature

Children don't learn languages by memorizing grammatical rules.

So your plan is basically
>by a bilingual edition
>stare at greek text like an idiot without any understanding of grammar or morphology
>peek at translation
>play connect-the-dots
>"oh I guess it does make sense"
>move on
>convince yourself that you've learned the language, even though you can't produce a sentence in it, or actually read it, or have any understanding of it's underlying structure and idiomatic forms
k m8, gotcha

>study it 2 hours everyday?
You won't.

t. been studying Ancient Greek for 5 years now

You will never read ancient Greek fluently. Neither professors can. If you learn it, you can only use your knowledge to translate ancient texts (with a vocabulary), but not to read them.

I had never learnt ancient greek at school, then when I was around 25 I took a 10-day summer class and it was dramatically useful. More or less 5-6 hours a day. Then when it was over I spent maybe 1 hour a day doing exercises, for one month, and I could really see the progress. My aim was the same as yours (I also tried translating some stuff for the sake of it, even when you can't do it properly it's exciting). - Then I completely stopped and I guess I won't start again.
Anyway - yeah, do it, and if possible, try to spend even more time on it during the first days.

Stop talking shit, ancient greek isn't some rune magic, it's only a fucking language that was spoken not just by Plato and Homer, by also by retarded illiterate farmers, soldiers, and women. Many modern greeks can read ancient text with some education, in the same as modern anglos can successfully learn to understand old english.

'woosh'

dank memes

Why? I have a strong academical upbringing, and I know I'm able to mantain this effort for years.
Also, as I've stated earlier I'm already fluent in Latin, so I've already some experience woth learning dead languages.

Bullshit.

How did you learn Latin? What textbook did you use?

Get JACT's Reading Greek

I'm Italian, so I've learnt it in high school (mostly by myself, since the course wasn't aimed at actual latin literacy), using textbooks by Cardinali, and by translating a shitton of texts from Catone, Cesare, Seneca and Sallustio. At this point unless I'm dealing with medieval texts I can read anything with very few obstacles.
I used to study it about 2 hours everyday, and 2 years in I was already reading in Latin by myself, for my own enjoyment.

According to wikipedia attic has about a hundred conjugations for a single verb. For real?

Also, does the alphabet vary a lot from one dialect to another? Or is it the same for attic, koiné, jonic etc?

Here in Greece we learn ancient Greek like you guys learn a second language. In highschool, if you don't pick the STEM direction you're required to learn latin and ancient greek.

> i own a mcdonals and only employ "philosophy" graduates to break their spirits
I've seen you post about this before. Still working at McDonalds, huh?

>Children don't learn languages by memorizing grammatical rules.

Who cares what children do? They have literally no other way. And even while being immersed in the language 24h/day, having nothing else to take care of and being exceptionally receptive, they take 2-3 years just to say their first words, and maybe another 5 years before they can create correct sentences and express something a bit more abstract than "i want that toy".

As adults we can make the learning process much more efficient.

>Children don't learn languages by memorizing grammatical rules.

They don't initially, but they have to actually learn them in primary school in order to form actually mature, coherent thoughts.
I would understand your opinion if OP wanted to just be able to kinda speak Ancient Greek, but apparently he's interested in reading classics. He NEEDS to learn and memorize grammatical rules, if that's the case.