I'm looking for an acclaimed novel written by a black author where race is NOT a central theme

I'm looking for an acclaimed novel written by a black author where race is NOT a central theme.

Keep lurking

Giovanni's Room.

Giovanni's Room - James Baldwin

Unless you consider Eye-ties to be a race

Alexandre Dumas
Alexander Pushkin

count of monte cristo

Why?

A Brief History of Seven Killings

Les damnés de la terre

I have to write a paper on a work by a black author and I want to subvert the obvious expectation that it would be about racism.

you have read the first part of the meme trilogy have you not

*second

>I have to write a paper on a work by a black author

Does it have to be a novel? Samuel R. Delany and Octavia Butler wrote short stories that had nothing to do with race. Tbh it's very difficult to find black authors who don't write about racism because:

A) It's a central theme in their history

B) It's what their audience wants to read about and therefore what the publisher will publish

most of le kenyan neckbeard man's short stories would also qualify

Half of a Yellow Sun - Adichie
The Famished Road - Okri

In that case, obviously go with Dumas.

Would you settle for "racism is only a small piece of the author's rich tapestry?"

The Republic

Invisible Man by Ellison. It approaches race, but only on a surface level; beyond that, it's really an examination of the human identity.

The prologue of Invisible Man is fucking God-tier...but that's as far as I got because I somehow lost the book

As long as race isn't central to the novel itself idc what else the author writes about

At this point I may go with TCOMC. I read it before but it would be nice to read again

M
A
C
H
A
D
O

D
E

A
S
S
I
S

All of his characters are white. He wrote for white people. He only read white authors. His influences are Sterne, De Maistre, and Schopenhauer. He was born and wrote before all of the race stuff arose.

Harold Bloom considers him the greatest black author of all time.

So why is he never mentioned in threads like this?

Since I haven't read this before, I might actually go with it instead of TCOMC

It's a truly fantastic work of literature.

Not black enough.

Cleaver spent his youth in and out of prision, saw rape as a revolutionary act, became the literary figurehead of the black panthers and tried to steer the group towards Juche, the DPRK, and full guerrilla insurgency, which lead to his eventual expulsion from the party. Cleaver was forced into exile, bouncing from France to Cuba and Algeria and back again, he ultimately became a mormon and a Reagan republican. Dude was nuts but also a great prose stylist, kinda like the Afro American Celine.

>mulattoes
>black
wrong.

Damn he sounds great:

Race Matters by Cornel West

Didn't write any novels.

>not knowing the one-drop rule
>wrong

This. Non-American blacks are a good choice, as race is less central in their writings.

Captain Picard looks to Commander Riker...

"Do you ever notice Jordi spends ALOT of time on the holodeck? I wonder what he's doing in there."

The Palm Wine Drinkard and his Dead Palm Wine Tapster in the Deads' Town

Triton, Samuel Delaney
Lilith's Brood, Octavia Butler
Basic Economics, Thomas Sowell

>It approaches race, but only on a surface level; beyond that

Wut.

The narrator is 'invisible' BECAUSE he's black. It is not incidental; it is constitutive.

Q
U
A
D
R
O
O
N

>Basic Economics
that's gonna be a fun book report

It's also metaphorical in that it applies to all men. The theme is bigger than you're treating it.

>The narrator is 'invisible' BECAUSE he's black
that's simply untrue. he's 'invisible' because he's alienated, from the white upperclass, from his black classmates, from the multi-racial communists, etc.

Tell this to /pol/ and come back to me.