Ethics and aesthetics are one in the same

>Ethics and aesthetics are one in the same

What did he mean by this?

>what did wittgenstein mean
lol

He meant that he was schizophrenic and was projecting.

>>Ethics and aesthetics are one in the same
I think its one of his word games: if you might notice, both words end in ics, have h, e, and t in them... he wins again.

Maybe it was a little much of an absolute statement, but maybe there is something to the relation between them. Maybe, ultimately, ultimately conclusively following/pursuing ones ethical system, results in the aesthetic environment? And therefore, whatever Ethical program is running (he is saying absolutely equals, I would say, effects, helps produce) 'causes' the aesthetic reality:

Islam believes xyz ethics, believes in spirit and God = nice, simple, clean, 'divinely patterned gowns', burqa.

Orthodox Christians, believe in ethics xyz, = wear their sunday best

Ethics are nihilistic, = wear a "if I were with someone, I would be with stupid" t shirt

Isn't that a line from the Hannibal tv show?

Truth-beauty-virtue trichotomy

He was autistic.

Aestheticism is not taught but is rather innate knowledge. Ethics are also , for the most part, innate so perhaps this is what he meant.

The three interpretations I've seen around are:

1) Ethics and aesthetics don't refer to any real objects in the world, and as such both belong to that 'whereof we must remain silent.'

or

2) "The good life" is synonymous with "the beautiful life;" aesthetic judgments are substantively equivalent to ethical judgments.

or

3) Ethical judgments are formally/behave similar to judgments of taste in a Kantian sense.

Wittgenstein was a philosopher of language, so he noticed that the only difference between Ethics and Aesthetics is "Aest" which stands for "are exactly the same thing"

sounds like something a supervillain would say lmao

nazis did nothing wrong if that is the case

vaporwave is the pinnacle of human evolution.

even if that wasn't the case they didn't

That to be ethically good colours your nature.

>tfw this entire board is grade 5 level.
>I am a superior grade 12.

what about losing the war though?

whoa

>Truth-beauty-virtue trichotomy

Does dichotomy/trichotomy always imply 'one of the other', like heavy limit, 33% 33% 33%,
If you value Truth a little more, 40% 30% 30%

Instead of, 100% 100% 100% or 100% 80% 60%?

>'one of the other',
of = OR*

Cool, thank you.

I've never read Wittgenstein OP, but your question interests me, so I will and I'll get back to you.

>i.e., I'll post about it after I've read his work

Which work are you referencing?

>>Truth-beauty-virtue trichotomy
>Does dichotomy/trichotomy always imply 'one of the other', like heavy limit, 33% 33% 33%,
>If you value Truth a little more, 40% 30% 30%
>Instead of, 100% 100% 100% or 100% 80% 60%?

di·chot·o·my/dīˈkädəmē/
noun
a division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different.

Would the person you are responding to have used 'trichotomy' incorrectly then?

It means if you believe in objective moral truths you must also believe in objectivie forms of art

Good post.
Most believe and I agree, what he meant by this was, that we "are" and "do", what we think of as valuable. There are three big typs of different approaches deontology/duty, cosequentualism/use and virtue ethics/"costume". Wittgenstein wants to say only the last one is really of relevance, there is no moral, beside our costumes, which are derived from our normative/value judgments, mostly referred to as aesthetics.