Why do artists or "creative types" love drugs so much?

Why do artists or "creative types" love drugs so much?
Rimbaud was smoking opium at like 17, wtf
What is the most Veeky Forums drug?

Other urls found in this thread:

psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201010/why-intelligent-people-use-more-drugs
emilkirkegaard.dk/da/wp-content/uploads/James-White-G-David-Batty-Intelligence-across-childhood-in-relation-to-illegal-drug-use-in-adulthood-1970-British-Cohort-Study.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

they're pretty cool. especially psychedelics

I wouldn't really reccomend psychedelics, is a fake spiritual experience, a very emotional one, but fake.

No such thing as a fake emotional experience
The revelations I've taken from my acid trips have changed my life for the better, in fact, if not for LSD I'd have died years ago

they said fake spiritual experience not emotional experience

smarter people tend to do more illegal drugs, statistically speaking. they're not as scared and easily persuaded by media and stigma, its the same reason why smart people usually don't care about MSG and other "health scares" like that while dumb people act like its the plague. its because they're skeptical and think for themselves.

that's stupid, it doesn't have to be spiritual at all. my trips are never spiritual. they're called recreational drugs for a reason

>smarter people tend to do more illegal drugs
This is an 18+ site, lad. Come back in 4 years.

That's a literal fact though
psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201010/why-intelligent-people-use-more-drugs

I've met like 2 smart people who habitually smoke dope.

>What is the most Veeky Forums drug?
Alcohol. It's generally writing's only occupational hazard besides poverty.

>tfw to smart to not do drugs
life is just too short lads

its statistical fact, faggot. I would get you a link but somebody else already did it for me.

obviously it depends on the drug, like lower IQs do more crack and higher IQs do more cocaine iirc. but that's probably because IQ and poverty levels are correlated

>Opium and cannabis are the only “natural” (agricultural) psychoactive drugs. Other psychoactive drugs are “chemical” (pharmacological)

Literally what.

Stopped reading right there.

>went to a top five college, everyone on my floor smokes weed occasionally.
>go to big three firm, everyone pre-family binge drinks on the weekends
>go to a top ten grad school (science) everyone smokes weed and most use hallucinogens occasionally.

They don't, actually. Drugs harm your creativity.

Bullshit

If you need to be "le high xD" to be creative or have fun you're a shitstain.

>Bullshit
Alcohol ruined Faulkner.

Once the social and demographic variables are controlled, however, the positive association between childhood intelligence and adult drug consumption is not statistically significant in the American Add Health sample. The conclusion of linked study.

Drugs are fun but tfw to smart to not do drugs is a teenage rationalisation. Don't worry, we've all been there.

cuz ignorance is bliss. also, when you're more intelligent, the shit does more to you. take some shrooms when you're smart, and you'll have a dramatically different reaction to someone who's an idiot. maybe not in intensity, but in terms of the inspiration that it brings. the secondary aspect is the attempt to fry one's self, to remove whatever braining that gives them the understanding they have. once they lose it, they may finally feel the bliss of the ignorant

a) drug use can lead to unconventional thoughts and ideas
b) there is a correlation between creative people and mental illnesses like bipolar, and there is a correlation between mental illnesses and drug use

>lie on the internet, everyone in my one room neetbux apartment smokes weed

opium and cannabis come directly from plants = agricultural. most other drugs are synthesized or extracted or processed by chemists = pharmacological.
did you stop reading because you are too stupid to understand?

>go to literally any college anywhere - everyone smokes weed
>go to any high-stress long hours workplace - everyone drinks to relax
>go back to another college - every still uses drugs
W E W
E
W

>what are mushrooms
>what is coca leaves (not as psychoactive as cocaine obviously but still psychoactive)
>what is literally every single precursor to every single pharmaceutical ever

>decide to look into this myself
>Shakespeare didn't do drugs
>Chaucer didn't do drugs
>Dante didn't do drugs
hmmm really made me think

its not statistically significant in the American Add Health sample, but it was in the British sample. I'm guessing its skewed by higher rates of meth and hard drug addictions, which are generally associated with lower intelligence, but who knows...

besides, its not really a rationalization for drug use, just an observation and possible explanation for OP's question. do you not agree that it makes sense that smarter people would be able to think for themselves and not buy into the whole anti-drug propaganda, and be able to use harmless recreational drugs like cannabis and psychedelics responsibly?

Only when used in very large doses (ie. Fitzgerald). They do take time away from the creative process though (with the possible exception of psychedelics, which may add something when only used lightly) and if you're trying to be a wage slave and break in to the Veeky Forumsworld is pretty bad.

because alcohol is the most shit tier drug

coca leaves without the cocaine removed are rarely, if ever, consumed outside of isolated farming communities in south america. usually the cocaine is extracted and purified which makes it pharmacological. and drug precursors are also pharmacological, dumbass. they're extraced and processed and refined by chemists.

I admit that mushrooms not being on there is weird, but they probably just didn't consider it popular enough to mention

It'd imagine it's the opposite. Anti-drug propaganda has given way to pro-drug propaganda, everybody and their mother smokes weed.

>They don't, actually.

Don't let your politics stop you from seeing the world as it is. Don't be a clown.

I look at everyone around me doing stuff and it's pretty mind boggling that supposedly we throw people in jail for having or selling drugs.

Being "a little" psychoactive is still 110% being psychoactive.

It's true. No interesting person would ever put themselves into a cycle of "if I have chemical, I'm happy, if I don't have chemical, I'm not". Drugs fundamentally distort your view of the world, they are not good whatsoever.
>inb4 you accuse me of being a brainwashed sheep
Look around you. Drugs are popular as fuck. Is it not suspect that so many people have to resort to this sort of escapism?

>pro-drug propaganda
lol, a couple of dumbass posting on twitter that weed cured their cancer is not propaganda on any significant scale, like the war on drugs was.

what are you even trying to say

The article said the only psychoactive natural drugs are weed and opium

They're not.

I think weed has started to make me stupid, should i change to adderal or something like that to fix it?

>lol, a couple of dumbass posting on twitter that weed cured their cancer is not propaganda on any significant scale, like the war on drugs was.
How slow are you? All the popular rap songs talk about weed, pretty much every teenager does it to be "rebellious". It's not a taboo anymore.

>every drug makes you an addicted zombie
>everyone does drugs because of escapism
nice irrational generalizations

>implying there's any reason to do drugs other than escapism

>implying there's any reason to read fiction other than escapism

>what is prose
>what are aesthetics

Shouldn't you be reading your YA novel before bedtime?

Someday, probably in your second year of college you'll have a beer and all that stress and anxiety you've been carrying around about work and love and art will stop mattering as much. Is that not good? Does that stop you from being interesting? You certainly can ruin your life with them and getting busted before you're The Man and can teabag cops who find you with the goods isn't a good idea, but otherwise what's the issue? Life is hard enough let people have soma when they need it.

>Literature
>Aesthetics

Pick up a book sometime.

grr no, appeal to nature, purity, grr

No, I don't agree. Personal stance on drugs has little to nothing to do with intelligence. I've taken plenty both with fellow grad students and degenerate drunk chavs on rock festivals. I'm sorry, but your "anti-drug propaganda" narrative sounds very childish to me. Maybe it's different in the US, though.

Again: escapism. Drinking and drugs is for plebs and dumb people.

well its a blog post. the writer saying something dumb doesn't invalidate the study that its referencing, which is here btw:

emilkirkegaard.dk/da/wp-content/uploads/James-White-G-David-Batty-Intelligence-across-childhood-in-relation-to-illegal-drug-use-in-adulthood-1970-British-Cohort-Study.pdf

>missing the point this hard

yeah it might be different "across the pond", but anti-drug propaganda drove pretty hard here especially in the 80s and 90s -- there are still people who believe LSD is addictive and makes you go crazy and jump off buildings (surveys show like 80% of Americans view LSD and mushrooms as dangerous as heroin and other hard drugs), people who believe MDMA fries holes in your brain tissue, and less commonly people who believe cannabis kills your brain cells in the same way alcohol does... all the while downing their doctor-approved speed, opiate painkillers, and benzodiazepines which imho are worse than heroin, without blinking an eye.

Guaranteed 95 percent of your favorite music artists utilized some sort of drug during the recording process.

Brilliant people need to escape too. Patricians even more so.

I was growing opium when I was seventeen. However, I vastly preferred eating goo balls of it over smoking it.

Because most people like trash rap

Go a head and google "pharmacological" cmon man I'm sure you can do better than this.

Beethoven was an alcoholic

>"a literal fact"
>proceeds to quote psychology today's rehash of the proverbial 'some studies'

the bard smoked kush dude
really makes you think ??

Tell that to isaac newton you fucking brainlet

newts was a turbo-brainlet, get your facts straight

High doses of MDMA actually can cause brain lesions. Nothing wrong with using it in moderation though

i cant do drugs, if im ever going to write something half decent it's going to be 30 years from now

i need as much life as i can get im a late bloomer boys

>cannabis kills your brain cells in the same way alcohol does...
heh-heh, dude, like, dumb Christians and their like established trope of uhmm like stoners being less-than-bright man

Don't getting the point of art appreciation. What are you doing here?

>I think weed has started to make me stupid, should i change to adderal or something like that to fix it?
it...it would seem its already too late user. Another one bites the dust FFFffffff

Try...taking a break from smoking? Let yourself heal, purify, and see if that does not help?

I dont recommend doing any of this, but it is possible, if you dont smoke for a bit, you will notice yourself recover in a few days or more, just play close attention and try to learn and think a lot. Maybe you will be able to notice your energy levels and brain speed returning.

It does mess with your memory, make it worse-bad in ways. There are potential give and takes. Obviously more so 'for creative types', who can potentially afford, a slight decrease for some time of short term memory mass, for some 'abstract, wavvy, feely, ambiguous, obscure, experimental, ayy, a e s t h e t i c s'

>>implying there's any reason to do drugs other than escapism

>Implying that the general term 'escapism' is fundamentally bad.

>>what is prose
>>what are aesthetics
How does prose not help me escape? (the prior absence of prose)
How do aesthetics not help me escape? (the prior absence of aesthetics)

really, really smart people often suffer from extreme empathy. The smartest among us are able to analyze the world from outside themselves, so they suffer internally. Oliver Sachs studied this some, and he had(RIP) many sources that came before him. Presumably there are more after.

In other words, the classic "drunkard genius" is a very real phenomenon because humans are not equipped biologically to spend their entire lives focusing on things related to their intelligence. It doesn't line up evolutionarily -- it's very easy to be fully taken care of by society with minimal effort, or find a job based entirely on your intelligence(i.e. academia) therefore many of the most intelligent among us have no day-to-day escape from their own thoughts and so they turn to drugs.

I did LSD once and it was like a software upgrade on a computer. (Use with caution, though ; if damaged, you won't be able to replace your hardware.)

Isn't it the other way round? Druggies like art more than sober folks.

Psychedelics are worth it for the aesthetic experience.
I mean, what are you going to learn from LSD? That ego is not a fixed concept, that it makes sense to be skeptic of your own senses, that we are submerged by bullshit social obligations?
That's all there is to learn from LSD, and it still not a real education (it's more of an istinct, but if you don't inquire it through history, literature and philosophy you're wasting it).

That said DMT visuals and LSD CEV are probably the weirdest experience available on Earth, and it is worth it to do these drugs (with upmost moderation, since you don't want to spoil the experience) only for their entertaining and artistic value.

pleb

Can you expand on your opinion?

The irony of there being a picture of Freud on the wall is hard to ignore.

>my trips are never spiritual
So close

yes

How long and how much have you been smoking, user?

It's a crutch for something else you're missing in your life, whether you realize it or not...

it's a crutch....

lemmie repeat that...

it's a crutch

Praise Jesus

>start smoking weed ironically
>become addicted

who would have thought this was possible

Been there, done that.
9% of people who will smoke weed will wind up addicted, it's more normal than you think.
How deep down the rabbit hole are you? How often do you smoke, and for how much have you entertained this vice?

I've managed to kick out the addiction, and I've helped lots of people kicking their addictions too. I can help you and give you some guidance, if you need it.

Unironically because they seek profundity in everything.

also they're usually 'tortured', as gag-inducing as the word is

I started smoking pretty regularly at 15, I think it was my way to auto-medicate my fucked up, sperg brain. Also, playing and listening to music was much better on weed. Then when I was 17 I dropped acid and it made me realize how much time I had lost smoking weed. Since then I've been in search of lost time, and lowered my weed use by a lot (at least a month inbetween each smoke, and smoking very little), except for this last week because I smoked everyday of it.
I must have some kind of brain damage by now, why is the price for different experiences so high?

>bipolar
>started doing edibles nightly during hypomanic phase
>started to get really worried I wasn't in control
>hit major depressive phase
>too sad to have any drive to do drugs or drink

I guess things always work out in the end huh guys

Since I started taking lamotrigine I can enjoy weed again, I guess things always work out in the end huh guys

What the fuck, are you the guy who started the favorite book/pill you're on thread yesterday? Because I was the user also taking lamo

that "study" was fraught with methodical flaws and misguided conclusions (i.e. proven wrong by other scientists). MDMA is neurotoxic but only in excessive use, it doesn't put literal holes in your brain tissue

DUDE MACHINE ELVES LMAO

>I must have some kind of brain damage by now, why is the price for different experiences so high?

I'm certainly no authority on this, but if you've started so early you've surely done some damage. I don't know to what extent (you should get tested), but you should stop now.

Start smoking weed in your early 20s is basically harmless, but smoking in your teenagehood has been repeatetly shown to be extremely harmful.

> in fact, if not for LSD I'd have died years ago
Explain?

yeah, that thread sucked ass
I think my brain was fucked before I started smoking, people who I used to smoke with in those times still smoke and live completly normal, and probably happy, lifes
>but you should stop now.
Why? If smoking in your early 20's is harmless then I have nothing to worry about now that the damage is already done

Not the same lad, but it can be a life changing experience, as new age as that sounds

they make you think of things in a different way

psychedelics probably would help you write better

I'm scared it'll trigger schizophrenia or something with me tho, I'm a pretty dreamy type as it is.
I'll just stick to MD or cocaine

here you can usually do risk assessments for schizophrenia and other mental illness for free... idk how it is wherever you live. they usually look at family records and do a few psychological "interviews"

schizophrenia is hereditary isn't it?

I think lsd can only trigger it early, not cause it from nothing.

I have a family record of mental illness and I didnt get schizophrenia, but yeah doing psychedelics is playing with fire
What is MD?

>extremely harmful
4u

I didn't get a chance to ask, why are you only taking 50 mg? Did you just start? I'm taking 100 mg and that's still a really small dose

straight edge reporting in

fuck these liberals

you're still going to die

what makes you better?