Good lord. If you had any idea how horrible the future is going to be, you would have necked yourself a long time ago

Good lord. If you had any idea how horrible the future is going to be, you would have necked yourself a long time ago.

>trillions of brain emulations living at subsistence level
>80-hour work weeks
>insane levels of inequality
>class distinction is based on clock speed (how fast ems run relative to each other)
>server-rack cities that cluster in cold areas for cooling
>1000x clock speed means light speed becomes a barrier to communication between distant emulations on Earth
>nature is mostly destroyed
>space travel is mostly abandoned due to being too expensive, dangerous, and slow
>emulations look down on biological humans, even though humans own them, because we're incredibly slow and simple by comparison
>most ems are copies of the few hundred smartest, most workaholic humans
>30% chance emulations will exterminate biological humans in the first year of the em era

Do you people even realize the world you're creating?

I too can make unfounded claims born from misshapen ideology. Even when being pessimistic many of your claims are completely contrary to current global trends - and the rest are simple fanciful fiction, a contrived projection to serve as fuel for ideology.

Cool book though, would recommend.

Also, the book makes a good case that superintelligent A.I. is unlikely in the next 100 years, because economic growth just doesn't work that way and intelligent systems are mind-bogglingly complicated spaghetti code that's far easier to port than to unravel.

What are you talking about?

The book makes no unfounded claims. It's all straightforward extrapolation of current trends and simplifying assumptions. You can do a robustness check, and the core scenario remains likely even if many of the surface details change.

Depressing book. Not for the faint of heart.

>>insane levels of inequality
How is inequality of outcome a bad thing?

What shitty cyberpunk book have you been reading. Fuck off it Veeky Forums with this shit.

Why is every faggot thinking he can see the future always either ridicilously optimistic or pessimistic?

I read the book. We're just going to enslave the ems and keep them in underwater server farms since they aren't real people. Robin Hanson doesn't disagree with me (emails) he just said "I have different values." He can only go so far in public without getting death threats from leftists. His address is public.

Post email or you're full of shit.

I know Hanson believes slavery is over-demonized, but he has said many times that ems will not be slaves because most work is more efficient when done be freemen.

Lightspeed is already a barrier to communication.
Try playing videogames with someone from Australia. It is physically impossible to have ping lower than ~150ms from the US to Australia. The signals are simply too slow. This poor ping is not caused by slow routing.

What about quantum entanglement?

Cannot transmit information.

Imagine we have two cards, one says A, one says B. I take one, you take the other. I then go to the other side of the galaxy. You look at your card and see an "A". You now instantly know my card says "B" despite me being thousands of lightyears away.

This was Einstein's interpretation of the pair of gloves problem and it was wrong.
You can manipulate the observation of the particle. In a quantum computer, measuring one spin will make the other react on the other side of the galaxy react in a different way, making it completely possible to play a match of Quake with someone from the other side of the Milky Way with zero effective ping.

>will make the other react on the other side of the galaxy react in a different way
You cannot know what way it would have reacted before you measure it.

Go back to your grave Einstein.

I don't mean the ems will be in chains. I just mean the ems will be in a "Matrix" where they unknowingly work for nothing (WoW Gold for ems).

Do you still want the pic of the email? Hanson didn't say that slavery was good/going to happen to ems.

Um, I hate to break it to you, but Robin Hanson lost the AI-Foom Debate to Eliezer Yudkowsky won. Read "Intelligence Explosion Microeconomics", brainlet (it's online for free, courtesy of the Machine Intelligence Research Institute).

Are you kidding? Eliezer embarrassed himself in that debate.

Watch their Jane Street discussion on YouTube. Robin won handily, as you can see by the votes at the end. He just understands this subject much more deeply than Eliezer.

>Lightspeed is already a barrier to communication.
>Try playing videogames with someone from Australia.
It's not a barrier to actual human-to-human communication, like instant messaging or voicechat, but it would be if we experienced time 1000 times faster.

I win debates on Veeky Forums about girls all the time and yet I don't have any gf.
What that does tell you?

Predicting that things will stay the same isn't as useful

The lag couldn't be more than a few minutes though.

Yeah I actually made the calculation before posting and the max delay is apparently ~67 seconds, but that would significantly hinder communication in a productive setting, and let's not forget that 1000 is some arbitrary number OP wrote, it could be 10000 or 100000 or whatever inbetween.

>pop sci garbage
Eh.
That doesn't sound to bad.
Focusing on the ecological side.
We die with the rest of the living world
Welcome to the anthropocene.
The other things you worry about are popsci nonsense.
If you were an naturalist you would be well aware. As a life long ecologist, I struggle to feel anything lately.
You're future isn't so bad. Learn about complexity and biodiversty science, reslience, adaptive capacity, land-seascape ecology, pollinator ecology, soil ecology. Trophic webs, nutrient cycling, Source-sink dynamics, patch dynamics and recruitment, loss of soil carbon soil acidification/erosion, ocean warming and acidification with coral death, the different types of biodiversty, genetic, functional, species, at their different scales, the entropy created by biodiversty loss and shifting baselines(you need to understand behavoiral/phenotypic plasticity and Eco-evo for that) . You will want to understand non-linearity, networks, synergetics(haken, see enslavement principle), """"socio"""-ecological systems, the workings of corporations, the media and the state (start with Chomsky and CATO) interconnection, phenology, crop diversty, coral/forest death in relation to the above, the global fisheries industry, the agrochem industry, mining activity, habitat fragmentation, light pollution, international busssiness and its assault on the "developing" world
Then there is the non biological side of earth system science that makes it even more bleak. Climate change is many times worse than what you hear about it in the media after you are ecologically literate.
There is hope, you can't find that hope until you are informed, heed my warning and start reading.
Welcome to the anthropocene. Just consider yourself lucky that you didn't decide to dedicate yourself to the life sciences as a toddler.I was in constant grief, now my emotions are as rare as a healthy coral reef.
I've been waking up to panic attacks since before puberty.

>Emulations are immortal
>80 hour work week
>Caring about time when you a superior cold and uncaring machine, effectively immortal
You should read We Are Legion to get your ideas straight.

Are there niggers in the future? If not I can live with It.

Yes, if not anything else, this book made me believe that the singularity (if it will ever happen) is likely not that near.
It's actually quite decent imho. If I were you I'd at least check it out before criticizing it.

Boboverse books are fuckin amazing

low IQ garbage thread detected

Honestly you could have put in Bottle-flip based economy in that list and no-one would notice.

Robin Hanson thinks humans will have to retire because competing with ems will be near-impossible. So people who don't have sharing arrangements, capital, or insurance will have to rely on charity to survive. Depending on how wealthy the current Third World is by the time ems come along, there's a fair chance of a massive economic collapse in the places you would tend to associate with nonwhites, through little fault of their own. Pretty depressing to imagine much of Africa collapsing just after recovering from centuries of exploitation, but they don't have the capital required to weather this kind of phase change in the global economy.

>using phrases like "popsci," "brainlet," etc.

Doesn't it worry you guys how much your minds have been given over to cliches?

Even in the worst-case scenarios, mankind survives climate change.

Relax. An economic growth slowdown, while terrible, is not the same as extinction.