Do you guys annotate your book while reading? Is it considered bad etiquette to do so?

Do you guys annotate your book while reading? Is it considered bad etiquette to do so?

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/thread/6680282#p6680376
warosu.org/lit/thread/S8333978#p8334104
warosu.org/lit/thread/S7271898#p7275210
archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/15714360/#q15714489
warosu.org/lit/thread/S8939113#p8948454
warosu.org/lit/thread/S8094824#p8098318
warosu.org/lit/thread/8999999
warosu.org/lit/thread/8306091#p8307334
archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/15842237/#q15843375
archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/18566885
warosu.org/lit/thread/S8894287
warosu.org/lit/thread/6612062#p6614186
desuarchive.org/his/thread/2294382/#q2296199
warosu.org/lit/thread/S9018667#p9021454
warosu.org/lit/thread/S9018667
warosu.org/lit/thread/S9058356#p9063330
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I buy a second copy that I will annotate in and beat up. The other copy remains pristine on my shelf.

I only annotate library books. I keep personal copies ink free.

I "reee'd".

I used to hate that people did this. Now it think it makes the reading experience more interactive and personal.
That's a good idea. I love to see my books looking like new.

I think writing in library books is a sin, I don't want to see someone else's thoughts while I'm reading something for the first time..

>Buying a Veeky Forums pass

>not supporting your local community

I annotate books that I expect to be re-reading over and over throughout my life, to aid my understanding. Mainly philosophy stuff.

>implying this place is a community and not just a (You)s dispensary

What is this disgusting shit? You pencil in some notes, idle thoughts, c.f.'s etc. in the margin, not your diary desu

why would i do this though?
>reading a page
>oh man i think this is interesting
>ink in "this is interesting right here(arrow pointing to a paragraph)"
there's no point. and if you're writing a paper these thoughts should be on a separate piece of paper.

I only (ONLY) annotate philosophy that I can't follow.
I had serious trouble understanding Kierkegaard's argument about Don Juan.
Jesus fuck, I sweat just thinking about it.

what about underlining for good quotes, underlining for emphasis, defining words in the margins that you don't know, underlining when you are introduced to new characters etc.,

Yes, it can all be done on a supplementary notebook, but then you have both the book and the notebook to worry about at all times.

>he doesn't annotate the book to such an extent that he becomes ONE with that book

>he doesn't write his own book of annotations on annotations from his diary
pleb

Annotating books makes it easier to write essays about them at a later date. Also, as people have said, it can help with comprehension of complex arguments.

However, I do not understand why someone would simply write 'interesting', 'funny', or 'true' in the margins as if they say anything important at all about the text. You'd be surprised how banal people are when you read secondhand books.

I annotated a lot in library copy of aristotle, i planned to erase before i give it back but i forget. Do you think someone could catch me on it?

as if the next person to get the book will read it and be their audience, and think of just how clever they were when they scrawled "but why?" with an arrow pointed at half a sentence in pink gel pen.

just tell them it was like that before you got it.
these are librarians we're talking about.

what do you care about etiquette with your own books you retard

What the fuck. If you seriously spend so much time on one page, I can't even imagine how much you read or how few books you read in your lifetime.

What would you choose (assuming you read 4 hours a day and live 80 years ~100 000 hours of reading)
>Read 100 books in your lifetime, using 1000 hours for each
>Read 1000 books, using 100 hours for each
>Read 10'000 books, using 10 hours for each
>(realistic answer is somewhere between here)
>Read 100'000 books, using 1 hours for each

Or similar example
You are given two books and you must do the following
>Read them both and understand 50% of each. You will never receive the missing 50% from any other source again.
>Read only one of them and fully understand it, but you may never read the other book again.

Time is ticking. Tick tock. We all have limited resources in our life.

This. It's self fellating pseud shit.

>water is wet

did you figure it out

barely

What would you choose, bitch?

I'd rather 100% understand one of two books desu

i sure did love reading 4 hours a day immediately after birth, thanks for reminding me of the good times user

>only 4 hours a day
>began reading after birth
Lmao when will brainlets learn?

Oh wait they can't lmao

My first copy of a portrait of the artist was annotated a lot but the annotations weren't too detailed, I was younger at at the time so although I never had to study the book the annotations weren't intrusive they were actually quite interesting

I annotate most of my non-fiction books. Never annotate my fiction books. I wouldn't know what to write.

In my non-fiction books I often write some references to other books or notes for myself when rereading. Sometimes I just put a piece of paper in there to write notes on and use as a bookmarker.

You sir, are an asshole.

i hope you fucking die

None of them you tramp

Nah, I just remember the stuff I want to remember, which is a good portion of it.

>began reading after birth
Best Garth Marenghi novel, desu.

So this has been swimming around my noggin for years. I wanna get people to annotate their favorite poem(s) and then scan them and then send it my way way. I wanna compile them and hopefully publish them . If you don't have a scanner, buy one.
Email me.
[email protected]

more details pls

Who's gonna tell him? I refuse.

I'm literally shaking.

Preferably all on one page and hopefully not something of your own. Granted that would be rather interesting, but the intent is to explore the works of another author rather than explaining your work. If you can make it fit on one page, it's preferred, but I understand some poems are too good for one page. Look, I get it. And if you want to, write your name somewhere on it so that if someone doesn't jive on your annotations, they can contact you and tell you why you lack the intellect to understand a piece. Oh and try to keep it in English.

Yeah but why

I'm not sharing my dank genius analysis with you unless there's a good reason

for his success, duh. You get to stroke your ego for being published anonymously, while he counts the money.

>he
>money in publishing

but he said to put my name on it so its not anonymous though i'd use a pseudonym

Wouldn't it be interesting?

Sure, but you need a bit more of a concept. Like what kind of annotations are you looking for?

>Never annotate my fiction books. I wouldn't know what to write.

well for reading complex novels like Joyce it helps to underline when you meet new characters because he uses so fucking many.

I like to underline a character and in the margin write one key/interesting characteristic of her or him. It helps with remembering them.

why do you need a prompt? Telling someone how to annotate defeats the purpose.

What do you see in the piece? What does it remind you of? Is there a metaphor that seems to be needing a bit of dissection? Is there a word that you don't know and want to jot the definition of? Could it be possible the poem is best read when utilizing a certain literary lens? Does the poem suck? How can you tell? Is the author trying to convey something that can be textualized? Does it make you laugh? Do whatever the fuck you want to. Just try to be legible.

dontknowiftrolling.jpg

>Is it considered bad etiquette to do so?
only if it's not yours

I use a redacting pen on every dialogue spoken by women. Really improves the read

Alright I get what you mean. So more academic notations.

Eh why not

kek

Spook level 100

ticktockticktockticktock that's exactly why I read 2000 words per minute zooming faster than the speed of light transcending the laws of nature writing notes left and right BAM I just wrote a note down right now I've trained myself to read two things at once, my right eye will be on the monitor and my left on the book so I can fully experience ultimate divinity

How else should I promote this ? I refuse to invade the sewers. Reddit users would annotate bull shit like "I Carry Your Heart With Me" or Sylvia Plath (who is wonderful but over romanticized)

ff-fuck ffuck fuck I...I g-gotta

GOTTA READ FAST PEACE FAGGOTS I'M FUCKING OUT OF HERE

*vanishes in trail of dust headed toward local library*

hey thats not funny. and trump is bad. did you know pepe is a symbol of white supremacy

my high school english teacher has books that he's been annotating for years, probably for even over a decade at this point

vonnegut books leave a nice amount of room on the side, but his version of cather in the rye looks hideous

People who do pic related are doing it because of the aesthetic qualities of making very time consuming (and pointless) annotations. If you annotate books like this you're only doing it to stroke your ego and satisfy the thought that only people of the highest intellect do it.

wtf

Yes. I like reading what I thought in the past years and adding a new perspective to it. The build up shows me how I've crashed through the years better than any photo album could. I don't care for my books to look pristine. I care more for them to be a reflection of myself. They're mine. I should make them my own.

I also dog ear them. Why would this be wrong?

oh man I fell of my chair laughing at this

not even being sarcastic, this was a top-tier post

Hey now, Nabokov and Derrida might've loved stroking their own egos, but their annotations weren't pointless!

Read deeper and write concise notes on what it means within the text and outside of it.

It's very interesting to go back and reread a book. Then you compare your thoughts then to your current thoughts. You build upon it. You see new things in the text more easily. You appreciate your past self for creating a time capsule.

Maybe you just need to read more complex works. Maybe you just need to think more while reading instead of consuming words.

Think. If you listen to a lecture does it stick better if you only listen or if you take notes? For most people they'll remember more if they take notes. Even if they never read the notes again they'll remember more. Do you actually care about what you read?

DEVILISH

Hahaha oh man now that is a PICTURE. Imma laffin. Ya got a good imagination, son.

BTFO

OP resigns

I just use a few pieces of paper as a book mark and write page numbers next to my notes.

Sometimes I use post-it flags.

Fuck you. You made me laugh so hard I spent 15 minutes on this garbage.

98% i read is electronic, dont annotate. Huess I should some

I never write in my books unless it's a reference book. And even then I don't do it often.

Why would you not want real paper in your hands? You can annotate on digital media, but it doesn't feel as organic.

The overall concept of self-reference suggests that people interpret incoming information in relation to themselves, using their self-concept as a background for new information

The implications of self-referential processing are evident in many psychological phenomena

warosu.org/lit/thread/6680282#p6680376

Sherry Turkle discusses the concept of bricolage as it applies to problem solving in code projects and workspace productivity

warosu.org/lit/thread/S8333978#p8334104

Tacit knowledge is highly personal and hard to formalise, making it difficult to communicate to others or to share with others

warosu.org/lit/thread/S7271898#p7275210

Activity theory has an interesting approach to the difficult problems of learning and, in particular, tacit knowledge

archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/15714360/#q15714489

The identification of tacit knowledge sources and the creation of knowledge through tacit to tacit knowledge sharing and tacit to explicit knowledge sharing are fundamental to this process

warosu.org/lit/thread/S8939113#p8948454

The process of learning more creative ways of thinking, feeling, and being is achieved in action learning by reflecting

Advocates argue that most disagreement about the viability of an upper ontology can be traced to the conflation of ontology, language and knowledge, or too-specialized areas of knowledge

warosu.org/lit/thread/S8094824#p8098318

Transmedia storytelling allows for the interpretation of the story from the individual perspective, making way for personalized meaning-making

warosu.org/lit/thread/8999999

I'm the person you're replying to. This all makes intuitive sense and fits with what I believe. I'll be sure to read through the links tomorrow instead of at 4 in the morning after three beers. Thank you for giving me some information to chew through.

It'll be a better use of time than drawing garbage for Veeky Forums.

Global Brain Emergentism

warosu.org/lit/thread/8306091#p8307334

The noosphere is the sphere of human thought

archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/15842237/#q15843375

Many academics today liken the term logosphere to "the sum-total of ideas, concepts and facts that inhabit the collective texts — digital, printed, handwritten, carved or otherwise — of the human race." What is accessible to who within the logosphere is a point of interest for many communications researches and social scientists alike

archive.4plebs.org/x/thread/18566885

...collectively patterned performance forms through which processes of cultural or sacred signification are integrated into consciousness and social practices...

warosu.org/lit/thread/S8894287

Different levels of self-awareness,ranging from basic awareness of environmental stimuli, by means of an awareness of interactions and time, to an awareness of one's own thoughts. Advanced organisms also engage in meta-self-awareness, an awareness that they themselves are self-aware. A further concept is that self-awareness can be an emergent property of collective systems, even when there is no single component with a global awareness of the whole system

warosu.org/lit/thread/6612062#p6614186

Most of my old, conservative philosophy teachers popped a vein when they saw me writing in books. I write in any common paperback I feel the need to. Most books I read these days are worth $50+ though and so my strategy is to write on a separate piece of paper pinmarked for each few pages(i.e. every 10 pages I have a note page) then I slip the note page into a plastic cover and insert it into the book as to not stain the pages with ink transfer if I leave it on a shelf for a few years.

really though, if you're reading a literary work with 10000000 copies in circulation that you plan to keep, by all means write in it. It helps stimulate thought.

>4 in the morning after three beers

As Goethe says, "Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it." Begin it now, friends

This post needs annotations

>It helps stimulate thought.

This. Whenever I'm reading some difficult-to-grasp text, I stop and explain what I've just read to myself allowed, then I sum it up as briefly as I can, and write that beside the passage. It works great.

>
>

fix'd

desuarchive.org/his/thread/2294382/#q2296199

warosu.org/lit/thread/S9018667#p9021454

How you feel about the the future depends entirely on the context and coherence of the narratives that you subscribe to and make sense of the world and the extent to which future developments deliver the kind of world you expect to be living in. My advice would be to create your own transformative story and live it, embody it, as much as possible

warosu.org/lit/thread/S9018667

I occasionally annotate paperbacks. I don't feel like taking notes is of any use, anyway, so it doesn't happen a lot.

I want that book.

>Do you guys annotate your book while reading?
Not IN the book, I usually keep a piece of paper as a bookmark, that I unfold and write page number, and line maybe, write one to three words to quote and then maybe a little thought.

Personally I don't like seeing even my annotations in the book because they break the pace and feel while reading. Every time I reread I want it to be a clean experience, I then check my annotation after rereading.
Also, makes it easy to find annotations and quotes without having to go through the whole thing.

>Is it considered bad etiquette to do so?
Is it your own book, which you plan to keep? go ahead, it's your own shit.
Do you resell the books? then yes, bad manners imo.
Is it a library book? deserve to be shot and bled slowly.
Is it a shared book? then yes, bad manners too.

Are the thoughts of the one reading it so great that it needs to be shared in annotated form with the next new reader? fuck no, never.
Even if fucking bloom annotated a book I'm gonna read, I'd rather read the book cleanly first and then check his notes.
It would diminish the experience, it'd be like watching a new movie with the commentary track on the first time.

This person decoded the fucking bible. I don't care what anyone says this person has the answers to all of life's questions.

It's for re-reading, you sperg.

warosu.org/lit/thread/S9058356#p9063330

kek
very nice

Can you guys post some pics of an annotated page of yours? I wanna see what you write. Literature, not philosophy

Sorry for the shitty pictures, my right arm is gimped

I'll usually just underline or circle stuff throughout the book and then bring my thoughts together at the end

I went to undergrad with a guy with obsessive compulsive disorder (as in actual medically diagnosed OCD, not just guy who liked his room clean) who would everything as he read, often multiple times. I wish I had some pictures of his books, they were shocking.

Oops. The missing word is UNDERLINE.

I take notes in a notebook as I read.

Why take notes on the book itself?

ayeeee, contribute to the cause.
Annotate a favorite poem, scan it and send it my way. I'm gonna compile them all and do something with them. What it is that I want to do? I don't know yet.

ooh [email protected]
send them to this email

>>Read 1000 books, using 100 hours for each

The only correct answer.

Pepe is green hispanic boy you biggot.

They knew about JFK's assassination and 9/11.

t. autism