Novels are so boring, holy shit, its beyond my comprehension how anyone could read this verbose garbage all the time...

Novels are so boring, holy shit, its beyond my comprehension how anyone could read this verbose garbage all the time. Only poetry and philosophy are worth anything

death is the only option

What if it's just one big poem desu.

You're half right there boss. Only poetry is worth reading

>doesn't even mention plays
>doesn't even mention short stories
>doesn't even mention sex manuals

kind of agree

kind of agree

Poems are so boring, holy shit, its beyond my comprehension how anyone could read this flowery garbage all the time. Only novels, short stories, and philosophy are worth anything

Most philosophy is absolute shit, fuck no

You're probably only reading bad poets

recs pls

Literature are so boring, holy shit, its beyond my comprehension how anyone could read this verbose garbage all the time. Only mathematics and the hard sciences are worth anything.

I'd get bored of books too if I could read three novels per hour

Adrian Mitchell is funny, modern and respected.

ty

Rorty says differently

Tennyson, Sylvia Plath, William Yeats, Robert Frost

>he doesn't read washing machine operating manuals

The Second Coming

... Things fall apart, the center cannot hold,
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity....

- WB Yeats

Perfect poem in light of the election we just had.
>the ceremony of innocence is drowned
Bernie supporters, young and innocent, for many of us our first election, were drowned by the corrupt DNC in order for their candidate to win the primary.
>the worst/Are full of passionate intensity
with drumpf and bannon in charge, the worst of our society - neo nazins, neo fascists, anti-semites and other bigots - have been relocated from the periphery to the center of American politics and prominence.

The themes in Yeats's poem, anarchy, blood-dimmed tide, lost etc., are befitting of the situation in which we now find ourselves in.

This is the power of poetry. With but a paragraph, a masterful poem can perfectly represent the society around it.

Novels are verbose compared to philosophy? What fucking philosophers have you read?

Isn't this written implying the other way round, politically, though? Wasn't Yeats a huge nationalist?

I get you can impose current events on the words, but it't written to capture a time and yearning for national rebellion imo.

Analytic ones

Yes, but you just broke the poem down to contextualize it in our time, and is challenging your interpretation. This will spawn more prose, not more poetry, because effective prose is forthright and revealing. The best poems will need to be spelled out in more clear language to be universally understood.

my problem with poetry is that i have a hard time reading it with a peaceful mindset, i keep trying to 'figure' stuff out within the poem so it ends up being a narrowly intellectual exercise

yeah I agree