What's the difference between french writers and german writers

what's the difference between french writers and german writers

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2fTnEB_r_6Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the language, mostly.

French writers are from France, and German writers are from Germany.

the garbage is eaten and your dog is pregnant

besides this

Well if you want me to generalise, German writers like putting a lot of dry philosophy into their fiction, French writers are more concerned with their writing's aesthetic qualities.

How many of these threads do you need to make, fag? Just learn both.

all differences can be attributed to the language.
I was only half shit posting. Different languages lend themselves better or worse to certain types of writing, and will affect the way works are written. German is, imo, a sterile language that is suited best for lyric and poetry. I can't read french.

wine vs beer

I don't think this is true. In fact, I think you're saying this out of historical stereotypes.

i'm tryin to determine which language i should learn, feel real stuck

german - really like nietzsche and have read most of his stuff in translation, used to be into schopenhauer, being able to read rilke in german would be cool, goethe too, and holderlin and hoffman, don't really care about reading kant or hegel or heidegger or schelling or fichte or freud or really anything else besides what i listed

french - there's proust and flaubert and baudelaire and rimbaud and veraline and bergson and chateaubriand and maupassant and huysmans and all sorts of cool literature but i'm not into really any of their philosophy besides montaigne and bergson
also took four french classes in college but rusty with it

spanish - moving to arizona soon and could help me score with sexy latinas, i guess they have some cool literature too that i'm not too familiar with like cervantes, gongora, quevedo, gracian, becquer, galdos, clarin, dario, unamuno, baroja, valle-inclan and borges

help

German > Spanish > French

French > Russian > Spanish > German.

I'm planning on learning all of them. I already know german, and I'm learning french now. Will learn spanish next.

I can only tell you that german is a good language, and not too hard. French is harder, but I don't know enough about spanish to tell you about it. But if you're in the states, maybe Spanish, since it's more directly applicable.

first time i made a thread like this

Spanish isn't relevant;.

>he think knowing spanish will get him laid

You read Nietzsche without having read Kant or Hegel?

wew lad

don't care about that kind of philosophy

German, then French

Don't learn Spanish, it's the language of rapists and drug dealers: useless for literature. Go for Greek and Latin.

How can you understand Nietzsche if you don't understand what he was reacting against?

nietzsche didn't even read kant and hegel so it probably helps me understand them by ignoring them mostly

this game has no end desu

understand him*

What? He spends lots of time explicitly refuting Kant and is known to have read him. Nietzsche became great by reacting against the dogmatists of previous generations. Kant, even if you don't agree with him, is fundamental for modern philosophy. Nietzsche also mentioned reading Hegel in one of his letters, and his early work shows the influence quite a bit.

Plus, Kant influenced Schoppy greatly

i don't see nietzsche as a serious reader of them, he didn't even have their books in his library, he prob got most of his knowledge about them second-hand
i agree that reading them would be helpful but there's no way i'd get to the point where i want to into them so deeply that i read them in german

if you guys are discussing philosophers, rather than writers in general, then there's another major difference. Most major german philosophers were teachers in university - Kant, Hegel, Heidegger, Schopenhauer, wait, probably not Leibniz, but still many others, Husserl, Nietzsche etc.

Oddly enough, most major French philosophers were rather apart from the Uni and the academic world. Take Rousseau, Pascal or Descartes. They were rather rebels. It doesn't even change much in the XXth century - Sartre was only a high school teacher for a very short time, for instance.

I couldn't tell more precisely about the causes of this odd fact and its consequences, but I believe it's related to several other differences that can be spotted between French and German writers.

>i don't see nietzsche as a serious reader of them, he didn't even have their books in his library, he prob got most of his knowledge about them second-hand
But that's wrong, Nietzsche obviously shows a deep knowledge of Kant (and how could he not? know thy enemy etc) in his writing, but due to your ignorance it all went over your head.

idk i'm getting that from raymond geuss

i'm emailin some people in the know

ok maybe you're right

just messaged brian leiter and he said:

Nietzsche had read Kant, it is less clear he read any Hegel, though he did read Hartmann, a philosopher in the 1860s and 1870s who was influenced by Hegel.

youtu.be/2fTnEB_r_6Q
21:20 to 23:00

maybe he only read the critique of judgment

>reading people you disagree with

ISHYGDDT

Yeah I know it's a meme to read your opponent to understand him better blahblahblah. But you have to be pretty naive to think anybody actually fully read the shit they disagree with instead of working on their own position. Ain't nobody got time for that. Non-optimal strategy.

Nietzsche gave up his academic job to pursue philosophy

He was too ill to keep teaching, if I remember correctly, but he was still being paid. More like a long-lasting vacancy. That was a smart move.