Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of sushi is to enjoy the flavor and freshness of the fish?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of sushi is to enjoy the flavor and freshness of the fish?
Why do so many sushi-rolls drench their fish in sauce?
Isn't the point of sushi to keep it really simple and let the fish speak for itself.

Other urls found in this thread:

genkisushi.co.jp/common/sysfile/menu_binaries/ID00000513binary1.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because after a while fish becomes boring. Also, only fancy cuts need to leave the sauce out. For my American "fish" yes, spicy mayo please.

The sushi rolls with sauce the is bastardized western version of the dish.In Japan, it's practically unheard of.

I don't see how something fresh and simple could become boring
I could see drenching fried octopus or shrimp in sauce. But fresh tuna?

Because it tastes good and realistically the fish used in a regular Sushi place in a western country is nothing to write home about anyways.

because those are fucking AMERICANIZED sushi rolls. you won't find that garbage in japan

only americans do this. because they can't taste anything.

>it tastes good
To me it always taste like coldfishyness drenched in a syrupy sauce.
I tried eel for the first time on a sushi roll and I cant even remember the flavor, because it was masked by other ingredients.

It really doesn't get boring, its just most of the sushi in the US is made from crap fish and needs the marinade and spicy mayo to make it not terrible

>white person has a broken tongue that can only taste a couple of flavors at once before getting overwhelmed

I bet you eat your steak with only 2 spices and no sauce.

It seriously tasted like any other sushi roll I was being served.
I'm actually half black and half white.
Bet you feel stupid now huh.

Wasabi and soy, anyone?
I'm fine with the fancy sauces, though.

>subhuman whose palate is so numb he needs sugary sauces on raw fish to make it taste good.

>Being able to enjoy a sauce with food is the same as needing a sauce for any food to be good
Its your white genes

The thing is sushi doesn't need sweet or overpowering sauce.
If you're spending this money on fresh fish. you should be able to savor each fish when you eat it.

The issue I had with the eel plate is I'd never tried eel before and it was prepared in a similar way to another roll I had eaten before.
It was hard to even tell the difference. I was also drunk at the time.

The only time I'd wiant sweet, tangy,spicy, or powerfully rich sauce on seafood, is with fried crab, octopus, calamari, or shrimp. I wouldn't want it prepared in a sushi roll either.

I've always disliked sushi but the most enjoyable sushi I've had was prepared in a traditional Nigiri style

>in japan
misspelled "grorious Nippon", weebhole

It was probably because you were drunk, but if you had it in America they might have over applied the sauce to make up for their shit unagi.

Unagi is always served with a sauce, usually its just lightly applied. Even as a meal alone (which is actually a different eel) it comes with a sauce and usually shisho to top it off for a nice citrus flavor as well.

>Foods that are known for coming from a certain region don't have people with built up knowledge and technique that aren't sourcing local ingredients that are specifically better from that region.
>Especially anything from Japan because anime is bad

Theres a reason regional foods are a thing.

yeah you will, not everywhere but there are some places that offer americanized versions.

Exactly why I don't use soy sauce or wasabi anymore, any sushi is so much better by itself.

I'm not a fan of standard maki in general, particularly when overstuffed and confused as is often the case. Sushi benefits from simplicity in many ways. I wish gunkan and temaki were more popular in the US. A good Negitoro in either is a wonderful thing.

Tastes good, nigger.
Spicy tuna is my fuccn dick's dream

>sushi
>sushi-rolls
they are different dude.

bingo. give me sashimi any day of the week, or a good tuna roll, tuna, rice, seaweed, and shiso leaf. hell, ill give up the soy sauce and wasabi. those "dragon rolls" are for BABIES. might as well be eating cock.

Eat sashimi or nigiri if you want to appreciate the fish. Eat "sushi" rolls if you like cream cheese and rice. I've been to Japan and even in the cheap sushi go round places it was mostly just fish on rice.

The sad part is I really like the shitty Americanized version too. Battered and fried rolls are a guilty pleasure of mine.

>Spicy tuna is my fuccn dick's dream
find a woman that is hairy and showers once a week. your dick don't have to dream anymore!

a tasteful amount of soy+wasabi actually highlights the flavor of the meat. It's like slat and pepper.

That japanese are savages

That's just Americanized sushi made by Koreans and Chinese

It boils down to whatever cranks your tractor, but after experimenting with various amounts of each, I still found that I enjoyed it better naked.

The normal soy sauce you find at cheaper restaurants is garbage, rather just eat the fish without it. I don't know what it's called, but they serve a thicker type of soy sauce at higher-end restaurants, and it's simply the best.

I live in a landlocked state and the only fresh fish we have access to are salmon and halibut. The only time I've had a good tuna nigiri was in Seattle, other then that the shit i get here is usually not very fresh and is fairly bland. Only during salmon season is the sushi exceptional.

Ugh I wish I was Japanese then people would actually understand me

wasabi mayo is exceptional for the wasabi flavour,or horseradish whatever

Do you mean the sweet kind? The kind that's molasses mixed with soy sauce?

Japanese cooking in this sense is about pairing. The exact opposite of American double-BBQ flavor blasted salted salt strips (with meats). In this case, several ingredients--how to maximize the flavor and portions of each. Americanized, this kind of gets lost. The goal is clean and streamlined, with each ingredient showcased. It's a different way of eating...slower and more focused. Doesn't really lend itself to Americana, so entrepreneurs cater to needs, accordingly. So people use soy sauce like ketchup and so on...but your customer base is the bottom line...so...fuck it...

genkisushi.co.jp/common/sysfile/menu_binaries/ID00000513binary1.pdf

In Japan shit like that is unheard of. Look at the average chain sushi place here and it has a more higher class sushi menu than the rest of the world.

Eh I like both, sure I prefer nigiri and maki rolls but every once in awhile american sushi is fun for the mix of all of the flavors

REEEE WHY IS SUSHI SO FUCKING EXPENSIVE IT IS MY GOAT FOOD BUT NOBODY WANTS TO EAT WITH ME BECAUSE ITS SO EXPENSIVE

American sushi was invented because Korean/Chinese owners are cheap as fuck and want to get white people to feel full faster on rice, mayo, and imitation crab rather than actual fish.

The strange thing though is that the latest Poke Meme is convincing white people to eat raw fish rather than rice and mayo and imitation crab.

Life is pretty wonky that way.

Because low quality fish

Because uncultured plebs with dull palates who can't taste anything less subtle than Fruit Loops

just invite them, idiot

Im also a poorfag ,but i sometimes do

u enjoying that broiled chicken breast white boy?

Guys, how do I stop my salmon from going mushy when I defrost it? I haven't been able to find out whether it's pre-frozen (UK supermarket so probably but I'm paranoid about worms) but whenever I freeze it, it goes mushy.

Mushy is what happens to frozen meats. Stop freezing it and it won't get mushy.

>>UK supermarket
That's obviously pre-frozen

Don't buy currently-frozen salmon and expect it not to be mushy. That's fish pie / chowder material.

It was thawed when I bought it. It was from the in-store fishmonger. I just want to make sure it's OK to eat raw.

This is what happens when a food becomes popular in a country far away from its place of origin - it gets adapted to the local taste, often in ways that miss the original point of the dish entirely. Italian American food is a great example of this, particularly pizza. TexMex is another great example. Chinese American food might be the best example of them all.

The fact that this happened to sushi is a little odd, as expensive raw fish and rice seems like a tough sell to America. But it became a prestige food, and people are always willing to pay for prestige, even if what they get is a little silly.

>But it became a prestige food,

Not really. There are plenty of places in the US selling cheap sushi. You can even find it at all-you-can-eat "Chinese" buffets.

Oh, I didn't read closely enough. You could buy an industrial flash-freezer. You could stop being paranoid about worms. Or you could give up on trying to make sushi from supermarket fish.

And you can get a steak at Outback. That doesn't change the fact that the most expensive restaurants in a given city will be sushi joints and steakhouses, because both are considered prestige foods.

yes. sushi purists are basically right. americanized sushi is a disgrace to the art of preparing sushi in the traditional japanese way

but americans, as with every other food, have their own appropriated (not a loaded term) version and it tastes pretty good. it's just not authentic. burritos with american cheese and fucking fried chicken and potatoes is tasty as hell and disparaging it for being a rip off of authentic food is retarded. sushi rolls with avocado and salmon covered with spicy mayo or sriracha are delicious, but not authentic. don't think of it as sushi. it's just american food.

Sashimi has to be the most overrated food.

What's overrated about serving the highest quality fish you can get in the simplest manner possible? That just makes sense.

good post