So I'm a few pages into this book and I could not care less...

So I'm a few pages into this book and I could not care less. Does it actually get interesting or is it just this guy eloquently talking about some girl he tried to fuck when he was a kid?

kil u r self tqbh my dairy desu!!

Dude that's right at the fucking beginning. And yes it gets better

At least give something a full chapter before you think about putting it down. Also maybe read some Poe.

I finished it today actually and it's probably one of the best literary experiences I've had (that doesn't say that much though since I'm a pleb). I was hooked by the very first paragraph after the foreword.

If you don't care about aesthetics and wordplay then you might not appreciate the book as much as I did, but I still think it has value beyond that.

I felt like an idiot for not getting the Poe reference immediately. Having never heard someone pronounce Leigh before, I thought it was Annabelle Lay.

Reposting from other thread:

How do I tell friends (and my parents) that Lolita is my favourite book, should they ask? Obviously they should realise that it has some value considering it's so famous but it still has those connotations that won't be helpful considering I'm a weird 23 year old male.

Maybe try reading more than the first 2 pages before making a thread.

Stupid nigger.

You family sound like absolute philistines. I told my mom about lolita. I was sitting on the front porch with her and I literally told her something like "so mom, there's this book called lolita. It's about a pedophile's relationship with a little girl, it's supposedly one of the most highly acclaimed book of all time. Some people on a forum recommended it to me". She seemed incredulous and confused when I told her, but then I showed her the goodreads page for the book and she was just sort of like, okay.

That's because she's the head of an arts organization and so is my dad. They've worked in high culture their whole lives and they're not hostile towards the arts, unlike your revolting mother. Punch her in the face.

>Not appreciating the prose

Kill yourself my mang

Jesus, calm down. I just don't know how they would react. They're not hostile towards the arts, just not very engaged in it (originally blue collar). They're both very nice, if maybe a bit simple (not in the derogatory way), people.

The point of my query was essentially about how to phrase it. I'm sure they wouldn't have any problems with it if I explained it properly.

And I find it odd that your mother wouldn't be aware of Lolita considering her background.

You and your faggot family are the worst kind of plebs.

I hope your bloodline gets extinguished.

She was a music major. She's never heard of joyce or the canon. She's worked in theater for most of her adult life though, recently working at a music conservatory, but working at a theater before that also.

Although she does read a lot, has book clubs too.

>I have a short attention span and must have users of a Tibetan penis measurement support forum force me to continue reading

>[Deleted]
Really made me think

I read it a few months back and couldn't get into it. You should read it for your lit cred I guess but I had no emotional attachment to it whatsoever

Maybe do what I should've done and pick it back up in a few years instead of wasting your time on something you don't enjoy

Did any of your parents end up reading Lolita? How are they not plebs for never hearing about it, and once hearing about its acclaim and seeing the goodreads, not demanding you let them borrow your copy? They must run some high art organization.

I have considered Lolita my favourite book for years now and have never had a problem explaining it as being my favourite. I describe my love for the style and aesthetics and what have you up front and then mention the contrast between the beauty of the text with the ugliness of the subject matter. When I put it that way I feel people will think that it's an interesting book instead of a paedophilia 101 course.

She's told me that she prefers to read "fun books" because she has to focus on serious stuff enough for her work. Considering she works from morning til dawn every day, goes to parties and events and meetings all the time, and still manages to read a book a month, I can't blame her.

>*tips*

I can tell from your comment that you would love Ada immoderately. It is my favourite book, and does everything Lo does better, and more.

Also don't come forget to come back here after to discuss.

Also don't be dissuaded by the first two chapters which are confusing/dense/etc

I haven't read anything else from Nabokov so considering how much I liked Lolita I'll definitely give it a shot. Thank you.

>*tips first 3 pages of Lolita*

That's a great way to phrase it. I'll make sure to remember this when asked, thanks.

It seems from this that you skipped the introduction.
It's a required part of the book, so go back and read it.

I did, very astute observation.

>The point of my query was essentially about how to phrase it.
Many like it because of how rustled you feel by the 'charming monster' protagonist

This is certainly something that I'd like to bring up in that conversation. I'd just have to be careful with what I say.
>You really start to sympathise with him because of the writing and his charm, and at some points start rooting for him in his sexual conquest
>So you liked it when the fictional pedophile rapes a little girl?

I get what you're saying
I love the writin, his longing and desire.
But not for one second, no identification.
. Hey just me, who cares.
Lit. wise. Its up there, among the classics,

>How do I tell friends (and my parents) that Lolita is my favourite book, should they ask? Obviously they should realise that it has some value considering it's so famous but it still has those connotations that won't be helpful considering I'm a weird 23 year old male.
Don't.

Bros if I bring this book to the army will I get raped

is the film any good?

lol chill. they worked in 'high culture their whole lives' and didnt know about lolita? dunno man... sounds a little like youre doing that thing again

There's two films.

First one is Kubrick's poorest film imho. But it did make the book into a best-seller.

Second one is good fap material.

Not if you explain the cultural significance of the novel to your comrades.

But I didn't get the annotated version

Just say Pale Fire instead. It's at least as good.