Muh singularity

>muh singularity

retards

Other urls found in this thread:

google.de/amp/s/www.technologyreview.com/s/601441/moores-law-is-dead-now-what/amp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is there any evidence to suggest that dotted line exists?

The very existence of the laws of physics means that it certainly does.
>hurr durr anything is possible

Indeed but did you know 0=infinity?

the argument really boils down to
>it looks like exponential growth so far

>Laws of thermodynamics
>Planck's constant
>Heisenberg's uncertainty principle
>etc.

>t. someone who has strong opinions on subjects they have a limited understanding off

My main disagreement is where we currently are on that plot.

Oh wow, what an enlightening thread. Surely starting with an insult will lead to meaningful discussion

>Predicting the future
>Smart
Pick one.

>limit of everything becoming crazy magic and robot superheroes
>calls other people retards

A singularity can only obtain the knowledge we feed it and the connections between different parts of that knowledge. For it to advance our science in earnest, it needs to conduct physical experiments, and that takes time. Therefore, the creation of a singularity doesn't actually mean infinite technology; it just means having a system that can meaningfully cross-reference data with all of the other data we have. That means that for every new discovery, a singularity can determine its implications. It's like being able to come up with mass aluminium manufacturing directly from discovering electrolysis.

That is what singulatarians actually believe.

>posting such a shitty edit.

>implying you can predict the future any better than some popsci redditor normie
These threads are a magnet for pseudo-intellectuals and contrarian faggots who desperately need to feel superior to something

How is that /pol/? /pol/ would say islamic goymmunism.

>marxism
>post-modernism
>not /pol/ boogeymen

>>not /pol/ boogeymen

Have you not watched the news since early 2014? There are giant mobs of anarcho-communists rioting in the streets in Hamburg, Berkeley, DC, and elsewhere. And there's talk of "social constructs" reappearing all over the place.

KURZWEIL ON SUICIDE WATCH
HOW WILL KURZWEIL EVER RECOVER?

/pol/ is not "the news" my retarded friend

go back

>it's another episode of I like being smartass contrarian
Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have shown OP is a faggot, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.

>captcha: susa Trinity

>Is there any evidence to suggest that dotted line exists?
>The very existence of the laws of physics means that it certainly does.
>Laws of thermodynamics
>Planck's constant
>Heisenberg's uncertainty principle
>etc.

Laws of Physics prevent/hinder near impossible Pop Sci-Fi memes like

Immortality, Time Travel, Changing the Past, Teleportation, Faster Than Light Travel, Dyson Spheres, Paranormal Superpowers, etc.

The Singularity by itself is one of these impossible memes.

>all of humanity

Why are you so triggered?

Not even him, but

>being this mad

>t. trigger commie

>t. triggered nazi

>3 divergent timelines before 2013

How are Dyson spheres incompatible with the laws of physics?

Who or what enforces those laws? And if we find out what enforces that? You can go on and on with that endlessly.
I think the case is that nothing enforces reality. Reality just follows its own tendency without any restraint and I believe there is no limit to that.

Everything is impossible with the magic of contrarianism.

>singularity fags think the world is better than it really is
>if you were never born, the world would have been closer to perfection

Wouldn't we risk having one of the creators, creator-creators, etc. shutting us off if we started breaking out of too many realities?

>Who or what enforces those laws?
space police

Dyson Swarm: Immense crowd of artificially made satellites/planets orbiting around one single planetary system.

Dyson Sphere/Shell -> A continuous mass of it (there are no materials in universe that withstand the forces/ stress/ pressure / momentum)

Another question is How a Civilization can gather/mine such large amount of resources to build such enormous thing.

Conclusion: It's impossible.

>I started yelling /pol/ first but you're triggered

for humans certainly, our brains are finite and one day will reach the end of its capacity. That line might aswell represent whats physically possible for man to understand. Even with our tools that can go much further than our brains alone. It seems but by nature we were still only made to survive long enough to breed, take what you want from that, kinda seems like were unnecessarily complex for such a simple task but then again if in nature there is no capacity to outdo the one that wants to eat you we would already be fossils, perhaps sentient life such as ourselves is inevitable given enough time for nature to compete within.

FTL travel is theoretically possible, at least given indiscriminate time, considering the use of Einstein's field equations to backwards determine spacetime required for it. The amount of energy is currently unachievable and a larger spacetime area around the travel distance is required (like a highway) but at least it is actually THEORETICALLY possible.

>Marxists are anarcho-communists

You have to go back

There are (probably) a finite number of particles in the universe. So, there's an upper limit on computing power.

I like how, even in the worst-case scenario in OP's graph, we still reach the point where everything becomes magic and robot superheroes.

Given your graph, we already had the singularity. You guys couldn't even bother to wake me up?

This, when will we learn

Good picture. I view the thing very similarly. Although the fall of humanity is questionable. I think in 500 years we have maybe 1000 humans left on the planet (we never got out of the Solar system; the distances are just too large and space is just too empty around us). They might live in very high technology and cease development until their extinction.

You realize the singularity is a social event right? The singularity explains revolutions in normal economies, culture, self-organization, and other things (AI). None of which has to do with the limits of physics.

Physical possibility is also determined by our application of science. Which in of itself doesn't suggest we'll break c, or some other violation of physics. But if you haven't followed the trend in parallelization over smaller transistors, then you'd be cognizant of our lateral optimization of problems.

Computers are still getting faster, not by virtue of smaller transistors as the driving force, but rather due to parallelizing problems correctly. More lateral processing power on a single die with the languages to express programmatic idioms using parallelization, coroutine, and asynchronous solutions to problems.

Skeptics in the 60s: Moore's Law will trail off before the 70s
Skeptics in the 70s: Moore's Law will trail off before the 80s
Skeptics in the 90s: Moore's Law will trail off in the '00s
Skeptics in the 00s: Moore's Law will trail off in the '10s!
Skeptics int he '10s: Moore's law will trail off in the '20s!

literally every single year since it was proposed people have been saying that by next year it would stop because they had reached the physical limits of what was possible. Yet it's 2017 and we're still going strong

Counterargument: Heisenberg uncertainty principle

Organisms might have the smallest information processing elements that can be stable in our universe. From that you could extrapolate the maximum power of any computer.

Ok but we are reaching physical limitations at this point.
google.de/amp/s/www.technologyreview.com/s/601441/moores-law-is-dead-now-what/amp

It's over
Face it

It has been proved that the speed of reasoning is bounded (under some very general definitions of reasoning), but I'm too lazy to find you a source.

That's the very point of our experiment.

How can someone be allowed to write a piece like this then focus entirely on the CPU like a layman?

What else is there?

>Google AMP URL

Fucking hell Google is shitting up the Internet with these links

Not me, faggot.

what do you guys think the chances of now being the first time humans have come across the technology we have right now is?
I mean, evolution takes a fucking long time
and we only really know about the past 2000 years max
anything past 4000 (which is a snipped in terms of evolution) is completely blind.

We have reached the limit and will not advance further whatsoever. This is inevitable, brainlet.

REEEEEE GOMMUNISM WORKS ANYONE WHO DISAGREES IS A BIGOT!!! REEEEEE

why are you calling me a brainlet I said nothing that would contradict what you stated
what i was trying to say is that we may very well be close to something like a peak technology limit and be preparing for an inevitable collapse like mankind may have done over our hundreds of thousands of years here.
like its not the first time its happened we could be in some kind of cycle that is destined to repeat

Not a singularity faggot, but consider the long term historical perspective.

At one time people believed atoms were the smallest thing, indivisible.

Spaceflight would have been considered a ludicrous notion in the 18th century.

Newton's law were considered the final word on physics less than 150 years ago.

Evolution as a concept didnt exist before Darwin.

Who isnt to say there will be conceptual break throughs yielding entirey new inderstandings of science and the nature of reality in the near future?

But yeah, it will all go down the drain if the fucking left wing get their way, and it looks like they will. Roll on the new dark ages for a few thousand years.

>mods let this bait thread live

Literally nobody believes a technological singularity means you'll bypass the laws of physics

To be exact, we can trace history back to 6000 years.

>over our hundreds of thousands of years here
It's gonna take a LOT more than a hundred thousand years to wipe all our traces.

If what you were saying were true, we'd constantly bump into proof.

>Muh limitations

Take note, this is how bad the left is at shitposting.

It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future.

unless im mistaken there are several theoretically possible ways to achieve ftl, but the engineering challenge is beyond imagination right now and/or impractical even in some perfect scenario

YEAH BECAUSE THE RIGHT WING IN AMERICA FUCKING LOVES SCIENCE HAHAHAHAHAA

You're saying this as if the left doesn't basically believe in creationism with their egalitarian pseudoscience

leftists hate evolution too retard
have you even been to university?

All sides of the politican spectrum have less scholary people.

I remember our lecturer for anatomy had to give us a 20 minute pep talk to prepare us for finding out that there is differences in human anatomy between regions
it was pretty fucking hilarious because for 20 minutes he literally talk to us as if we were fragile babies, urging us not to become upset etc etc

dont get me wrong the political spectrum in america is fucked bc of MUH CHRISTIANITY either way but if i had to choose one for scientific progress itd be the left, and the dude i originally flamed implied that the right wing would be the way to go which I cant possible see a reasonable argument being made for. I've literally never met an educated peer who "hated" evolution in my liffe, maybe just lucky af?
That is about as good a commentary as I can imagine on the state of education in our shithole society

btw im not referring to the fact that there were christians in the class. there are barely any at my age in uni
im referring to sjw types getting angry that race isnt just skin deep.

>fucked bc of MUH CHRISTIANITY
you know we have other religions here with which abortion and evolution arent comaptible too right?
Like judaism, hinduism, and Islam. Why are you trying to white wash your opinions, are you a bigot?
I guess minorities aren't important to you, white supremacist shitlorde

confirmation bias on your part lad

>~25% of Americastan takes the bible literally
>~50% believe it to be non-literal

You don't understand how vast the power and reach of Christianity is in America dude, everything else is so god damn minute. At least most jews are secular.

It's funny though, the Republicans in America are quite cohesive and tow the party line, where as the Democrats are more fractured in their beliefs and vote to their constituents/donors beliefs more oft than not. I don't know why people refer to "the left" and "the right" both as monolithic figures though, it's inaccurate and does nothing but make you feel better in your own beliefs.

>there are no materials in universe that withstand the forces/ stress/ pressure / momentum

Probably no naturally occurring materials, but in the last few decades new synthetic materials like carbon nanotubes which possess enormous tensile strength were discovered, so if this trend continues it's not unreasonable to imagine that in a few centuries/millennia humanity could be able to produce synthetic materials strong enough to build such structures.

>Another question is How a Civilization can gather/mine such large amount of resources to build such enormous thing

Asteroids and even whole planets could be disassembled for raw materials with self-replicating machinery.

what if we get a short period of singularity wich then slows down again