Brainlet here, did number 51 for about 10 times yet the solution kept giving me

brainlet here, did number 51 for about 10 times yet the solution kept giving me
y = -16 and I know for a fact that ain't the solution.

I provided the LCD which is 20, got rid of the fractions, distributed, just don't know what to do next since it'll give me the same wrong solution.

It sucks being stupid.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=x/10+6, x/4+12&oq=x/10+6
khanacademy.org/math/algebra/one-variable-linear-equations/alg1-variables-on-both-sides/v/equations-3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

show your work brainlet

here ya go.

It'll tell you what step is wrong and let you mull over it. This is the only way to learn aside from actually asking your teacher, who is specifically trained to get this through your head.

I just found out what you did wrong and let me tell you, you are fucking retarded.

Also I fucking hate the fact that you scribbe on top of past steps to deduce the next steps. That shit makes your math hard to read because you have the thought process of 2 steps mixed in one line and it is impossible to fucking follow without needing to take my time with it.

High school morons go back to high school. But specially, brainlets like you please go back to the gulags

This is also why you want to ask your teacher before us, OP. Your teacher will be nice about it. You are not the dumbest sack of shit he or she has seen.

Are you in high school OP or is american education that bad?

I've contemplated on that step for a quite a while, but I'm starting to understand what I did wrong from this, thank you.
Jesus, today must've been a bad day for you.

Judging from the problem and the ones around it in the OP I'd say OP is a second year PhD student in pure mathematics.

Probably MIT, as PhDs in lower tier unis would still be learning about the lcd, which OP seems to know

>Jesus, today must've been a bad day for you.

It was actually a good day, thanks for asking. But what I do have is low tolerance for brainlets. Your mistake is really basic and it shows you lack any kind of understanding about the arithmetic of rational numbers.

Studying arithmetic is probably one of the most exciting things a yougn person can do, and if you have neglected that then I must assume you are a terminal stage brainlet. There is not saving you from yourself.

lol fuck off

10th grade, sorry for being underage. Public school in a chicano neighborhood LA, CA

>Studying arithmetic is probably one of the most exciting things a young person can do,
Nope, that's still fucking.

Good to know, stop wasting your thoughts anytime.

>sex is better than arithmetic

Shit man, I'm glad this is over the internet because brainletism like this must be contagious.

You are right. I am sorry. I downplayed OP's achievements for my own gain. Clearly OP is a tenured professor doing research.

It is sad how behind the US is, but I think it is important they re-discover and learn math on their own. I am glad researchers in the US are finally starting to understand linear equations in [math] \mathbb{Q} [/math]. Perhaps in a couple of years they could device a general solution for these kinds of problems, but one can only hope.

I have no idea why you're distributing lol. Change the fractions to 2y/20 and 5y/20. Subtract 2y/20 from both sides them 12 from both sides. Multiply both sides by 20 then divide both sides by 3. This gives you -40.

Also finish middle school before you post here. Then go figure out wtf a virgina is and come back with your results

OP here. Uh, virginia is a state lol. I dunno what you are talking about. I guess I will just have to dab on dem haters

dab

You've put the cart before the horse. This all is a tool you can use to make more money in order to attract a mate.
Don't starve the animal that feeds your brain.

Got it down! Thanks man. Don't know if this method is correct but I managed to come across to the right solution!

I feel like I'm getting smarter by the minute...

y/10 + 6 =y/4 + 12
0.1y + 6 = 0.25y + 12
6 = 0.15y + 12
0.15y = -6
1.5y = -60
y = -40

id read your working but i cant be bothered downloading the picture and rotating it, or just turning my head

>mathematics is to make money

Fuck now you must be trolling. First you say sex is better than math, and now you say math is for money? Fucking hell man. Are you okay? Have psychologists checked you lately? I said it before and I will say it again, your brainletism may be a in a terminal stage. Two weeks from today you may see yourself attending NASCAR races and drinking beer like an idiot.

>sour grapes

Sorry man.

I still wanna know wtf you were thinking by distributing. Idk why that would pop into your head as a thing to do, and now I'm looking at it and desu I'm trying to figure out exactly why you can't do that. I've never thought to do that so I'm trying to figure out what law you're breaking. It's dumb outright. There's no need to do it. But it's interesting that it doesn't work.

Symbolab.

Dab

There were a set of problems that must be done with the distributive property, I just realized that this was a really different problem.

I got -40

Well

You could've solved it by distributing too.
You basically multiplied the +6 by 2 instead of by 20, same thing happened on the other side, only with +12 and 5.

OP here. LCD?

1 or 2

Its probably 2

Hahaha wow what a retard
Dab.

You're right, got one question though. How come canceling out the denominators from both expressions while distributing turned out to be the wrong step?

[math] \displaystyle
\begin{align*}
\frac{y}{10}+6 &= \frac{y}{4}+12 \; \; \; \; | \; \cdot 40 \\
4y + 240 &= 10y + 480 \\
6y &= -240 \\
y &= -40 \\
\end{align*}
[/math]

google.com/search?q=x/10+6, x/4+12&oq=x/10+6

khanacademy.org/math/algebra/one-variable-linear-equations/alg1-variables-on-both-sides/v/equations-3

subtract y/4 to the other side, multiply both top and bottom by 2.5 and you get 2.5y/10, y/10 - 2.5/10y is -1.5. 60/-1.5 is -40. Veeky Forums is not for pre algebra threads, if you need help in math you can go to

Really user? Really? I'm fucking soon to be sophomore and I can do it.

P-Please don't call mods.

This. You can basically solve it mentally.

Are you non-ironically 12, OP?

>how come canceling out the denominators...
You have to multiply the ENTIRE SIDE by the LCD
[eqn]20(\frac{y}{10}+6)=20(\frac{y}{4}+12)\\
2y+120=5y+240\\
y=-40
[/eqn]
You can only make the mistake you made because you've memorized tactics of "cancelling numbers" and "moving numbers around" like you're doing modern art

Take a step back and think about what an equation actually means. The whole left side equals the whole right side.
If a = b, then 20a = 20b, right?

Then if (a+c) = (b+d), 20(a+c) = 20(b+d).

>10th grade
>Still can't do basic calculation

lol American ''''Education'''''

there we go!
this is some world changing mathematics,on the edge of fucking innovation right here.

In Asia this is what we call grade 6 maths you cunt
>either a terminal brainlet or (REALLY)underage

its -40

Learning new shit everyday. Thanks goys.

OP here. I've memorized these tactics of canceling numbers because I've been taught that it (supposedly) makes the whole equation easier apparently, like it was an apparent shortcut.
My teacher is black btw.

This guy is right btw. In general, don't do more than one operation per line. From your original picture, I'd go with
\frac{y}{10} + 6 = \frac{y}{4} + 12
20*(\frac{y}{10} + 6) = 20*(\frac{y}{4} + 12)

Then simplify on the next line. Or if you're confident that won't mix anything up, multiply everything by 20 and simplify the fractions in your head, writing the result. But don't multiply things and then cross them out and write other things on top of them. It's much easier to understand what you're doing, and to learn from it, if there's a clear, step-by-step progression down the page.

btw how do I do latex on Veeky Forums

When I was in 10° grade, they taught me a bit more advanced mathmatics. It must be because I live in Portugal. I used to solve equations to answer a problem but solving the equation wasnt the main goal.

Jesus fucking christ you're doing all sorts of extra stupid fucking steps and your work looks like shit covered in scribbles.

>I've memorized these tactics of canceling numbers because I've been taught that it (supposedly) makes the whole equation easier apparently, like it was an apparent shortcut.
It does make the equation easier to work with.

You just executed it wrong because you didn't understand what the fuck you were doing and thought the equation will still be true even if you just multiply numbers together at random.

>My teacher is black btw
Bet he was happy to get assigned to a white school, thinking his students would actually understand what an equation is by the time they get to his class.

you need a opening and closing [math] (inline) or [eqn] (block) tag.

WHY IS THIS ON Veeky Forums REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
FINISH HIGH SCHOOL YOU FUCKING BRAINLET

Dialing

Fuck you, finish Junior High. Veeky Forums is not a homework help site. You are not welcome until you grow the hell up, literally and figuratively.

Literally why are you bumping the thread? Just leave it and it will die out

Interesting. I did it a bit differently.