Ok, this one is genuinely confusing me...

Ok, this one is genuinely confusing me, I'm not sure what the answer is here if it's 1 or 2/3 how would one do a problem like this any book recommendations?

It's 1

It's 9

IMHO it's 9 because 2(1+2) it's like 2*(1+2) and thats 2*3
So in total you have 6 / 2 * 3 and that can be moved around liek you want so you can type it like 3 * 6 / 2 = 9

why isn't 2(1+2) treated as a single quantity so that we get only one i dont think that
6 / 2(1+2) is the same thing as 6 / 2 * 3 the 2 and parentheses are connected

6/2(1+2)=9
Because of order of operations.
Firstly you solve (1+2), which equals 3.
So the new equation is 6/2x3.
From here you work left to right. 6/2=3
So, 3x3=9.
Hopefully i helped, look at a calculator if you want proof.

try it yourself if you don't believe me

[math] \displaystyle 6/2(1+2) \\ 6/2(3) \\ 6/2 \cdot 3 \\ 3 \cdot 3 \\ 9
[/math]

ok but is 6/2(3) the same as 6/2*3 is my question i think that's different

Order of operations.
6/2x(1+2)
6/2x3
6/6

Multiplication then division, addition then subtraction.

6 / 2(1+2)
= 6 / 2*3 since 2(1+2) == (2+4)
=6/6
=1

BODMAS gives order of operations:
1) Brackets
2) Order
3) Division == Multiplication
4) Addition == Subtraction

order means powers

No, multiplication and division have the same precedence you read the equation left to right and do the operations as they come not skipping around doing all the multiplication then division.

Division is just multiplying fractions and subtraction is just adding negative numbers. Theyre one in the same respectively

Except you did this wrong in your 3rd line you did the multiplication first when the division was first in line. You should have divided 6/6 then multiplied by 2

My bad. I do remember that x/2y= X over 2y which would make this equation into 6 over 6 and you'd end up with 1.

ok this makes sense so it's 1 because with pemdas multiplication and division happen at the same time

I also can't help but notice that if we were to use the distributive property 6/2x(1+2)
we'd get 6/(2+4)
6/6
So now we have 2 proofs that 1 is the correct answer.

i was goofing before but thisactually makes sense

any tips for buying cigarettees underage I'm 19 but you have to be 21 to buy smokes here any tips

I've never smoked so i wouldn't know. I advice you against smoking in the first place since it's only a financial drain and can only do you harm but if you really want to you should ask other kids where they get theirs.

i knew i shouldn't have asked some fucking nerd

and if you're wondering i'm already a smoker i'm just sick of paying the hobo tax looking for alternative methods that wont make a pack cost me fucking $10

U wot m8??? I'll have you know i'm /fitsci/ master race.

text me when you drop the stemfag mindset and stop being autistic and become human

/fitlit/antisci/ master race fucker

I'm actually a business owner and only study other subjects including math for fun.

Another retard that divides before multiplying even though the order of operations are clear. Go back to pol

You're a brainlet who hasn't taken a math course since high school pre-calc. Leave.

They are the same. If it was 6/(2*3) then it would be 1.

Shut the fuck up this has to be a troll. You do not "distribute" until the multiplication stage of pemdas. Also multiplication and division occur in one step from left to right. Addition and subtraction occur the same way.

Since when is having an ambiguous order of operations considered a "brain teaser" or "math problem".

>The answer is 1
[math]
6 \div 2(1+2) == \frac{6}{2(1+2)} == 6 / 6 == 1
[/math]
Implicitly, the question hints that 2(1+2) should be considered one quantity

If they wanted us to divide 6 by 2 first they would have made it clearer by doing
[math]
6 / 2 * (1 + 2)
[/math]
and since order of operation conventions dictate division and multiplication on the same level of precedence, and we do left-> right solving, it would give you 9

รท is the same as / to indicate division and 2(3) is the same as 2* (3). The only answer is 9 please stop.

You're fucking retarded. Division and multiplication have the same precedence.

Hell multiplying fractions is literally the same as division you dumb cunt

The / is ambiguous, that's why the original question uses the unambiguous division symbol which only means division and never fractions. The equation as written compared to your example would be the quantity X over 2 multiplied by the quantity Y, which makes this equation 6 over 2 = 3 multiplied by 3, which is 9.

Why aren't you capable of simple logic?

P E M D A S

The problem is too vague, different sources will tell you to do different things. Feynman lectures will tell you to implicitly treat the right blob as a single entity in which case the answer will be 1. But that's not universal.

The problem isn't vague in the slightest. There's only one number it simplifies to and it isn't 1.

facebook retard answer: 9 muh pedomas F*CK COMMON CORE
mathematically savvy answer: 1
professional mathematician answer: ambiguous, could be either

getting the wrong answer is neither savvy nor professional.

thinking pemdas/whatever is of fundamental importance to mathematics certainly isn't

It's not. It's just to make it easier to remember the axioms it is based on. You don't need PEMDAS/whatever to take the recipricol of a division to convert it to multiplication, nor do you need it to properly use the distributive property or commutative property properly. Nor do you need it to reduce the entire equation down to addition.

There's only one answer unless you've fucked something up severely. It's not a complicated problem and anyone should be able to reduce it to first principals and arrive at the correct answer.

You aren't supposed to use the / symbol without clearly defining what is being divided. This is why people just use fractions to represent division.
In the expression it isn't clear whether its (6/2)(3) or 6/(2(3)) so the best answer is ambiguous.
If you are looking for a solution to the problem your best bet is to go with one, because you don't have to worry about the ambiguity with the left divided by right rule (l/r)

>If you are looking for a solution to the problem your best bet is to go with one
1 to clarify

/thread past, present and future.

can we now stop with these threads?

Did you retards ever attend school?
Multiplication and division have the same precedence so you calculate them in order, from left to right
How fucking stupid can you be to not know this ffs?
If some of you got 1 instead of 9 you should legit jump off a bridge

You forgot the 2 before the parentheses

You didn't work from left to right after you solved what's in the brackets.
6/2 (1+2)
6/2 (3)
due to same precedence of multiplication and devide we start far left of sum and work right
6/2=3
3 (3)= 9
regardless of a multiplication sign the answer is still 9.