Music is pure energy and emotion, aside from a few poets, how can literature even compete?

Music is pure energy and emotion, aside from a few poets, how can literature even compete?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wm15rvkifPc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It can't, which is why it shouldn't, and instead opt to work with the conditions of its own medium.

Literature turns the world of sensation and emotion into words

What a stupid thread.

thats what literature wishes

>muh emoshun
Is that how low-int people function?

>elogy of music
>post king crimson

Post classical music, you fucking philistine.

Why compete?

Music and literature should not be in competition with each other. They both offer experiences that the other cannot, and are therefore equally essential to the human experience.

Don't you wish you were the first violin?

This.

Comparing and ranking artforms is stupid.

>if it is more complex and detailed is better guise!
>being this much of a fedora
I bet you only enjoy baroque paintings

don't bother they're clearly a pseud

>le classical music fedora
>calls others philistine
kys yourself famalamerinho

My bet is it's 19th century painting he enjoys.

Literature is emotion, thought and imagery.

Music is the lowest form of art.
Music is emotion without context. In other words, it's just your intellect latching onto familiar patterns, its the return to primal senses which is degrading and beneath inspired human nature.
You might notice that the most savage, undeveloped aboriginal cultures of today have no literature, but have music and dance

Sure, but what kind of music do they have? Do abos have the Beethoven's last piano sonatas? Or are they just hitting rithmically objects they've found around while singing repetitive, pentatonic melodies?

All the greatest thinkers of our tradition have found infinite value in music, from Descartes to Nietzsche, from Aristotle to Adorno. You have to do better than that in order to discredit music as a medium.

*tips fedora*

t. hegel

>being this much of a nihilist

this be bait, but it's depressing to think there's probably a lot of people out there that believe this

literally anti-intellectualism. Enjoy that same chord progression repeated for 7 minutes in Epitaph, I'm sure that it will ''move'' your sissy feelings :)

The OP is equally ridiculous.

>Omg it's structured this means it's really deep

How sad that this is music's claim to arthood!

This is the case for most of the mainstream music. It shouldn't be too intellectual challenging for the broad mass of people.

But there is a shitton of music with a deeper meaning. (I know this sounds pretentious)

>I don't agree it so it's bait

>its the return to primal senses which is degrading and beneath inspired human nature.
>You might notice that the most savage, undeveloped aboriginal cultures of today have no literature, but have music and dance
lucky bastards
>i like x music just because "muh intellectuals" like x music
>caring about the procces of creating instead of the creation it self
How can people be this autistic?

if music is so superior, how come musicians are such dullards?

This honestly. It's a limited medium that can only really 'evoke emotion' or 'communicate' and do nothing else. The plastic arts and literature are superior in every way.

>But there is a shitton of music with a deeper meaning
I'm sure you're about to blow me away with examples.

who are you quoting

I wouldn't know but they certainly are competitive.

>i like x music just because "muh intellectuals" like x music
>caring about the procces of creating instead of the creation it self

It wasn't a slander against everything that is not classical music, I was just pointing out that it doesn't make sense to say that music is worthless because primitive people have music too when the difference from their music and our music is so distinct.

Should I hold in low regards literature only because Phoenicians already knew how to write?

Read above. Also you're probably too stupid to understand classical music. You may be tone-deaf for example, in that case your opinion should be imediatly discarded.
Care to expand on your hatred for classical music? Is your belief actually justified by any reasonable thought?

Justin Bieber is pretty deep. His message is that you should love yourself! :^)

His brain which interpreted the linked post

>it's depressing to think there's probably a lot of people out there that believe this

Yeah. I'm this guy, I love music and literature but music possibly more.

If you put on your "intellectual glasses" when trying to appreciate art you are just trying to appear intellectual instead of being authentic, you are no better than girls in instagram who wear the exact same clothes and hair styles so they can fit in in a certain group because they are so scared of being alone facing their deepest feelings, the only difference is that you do it with books and ideas instead of clothes
I would much rather hang out with Jimi Hendrix even tho he was high all the time and probably didnt know who Nietzsche was than such a faggot like you
Also, Epitaph is the worst track in that album
>inb4 moonchild
plebs

I was just stating that the OP did not do a good job at discrediting literature. Why don't you try the chill pill, user?

>enjoy listening to your same 30 tonalities you fucking pleb
>I'm sure it will "move" you intellectually
*tips Schönberg*

>Heidegger is pretty deep, his message is that you should just be yourself :^)

Music is noise, repeated by [per]verses. Most poeple so stupid they don't even realize the same words or banging rocks are being babbled over and over.

>Let me tell you man, I went through an existential crisis, and when I came out the other side I had become authentic and a true intellectual.

>2017
>not just being yourself

oh shit you're right, now that I think about it the entire catalogue of the medium is nothing but shallow and meaningless

>the difference from their music and our music is so distinct.
both are just frequencies arranged in different ways, all the "muh deep meaning" is given by the listener, music is a bridge to the soul, just chose the bridge you like better

>he can't read

>If you put on your "intellectual glasses" when trying to appreciate art you are just trying to appear intellectual instead of being authentic

That's where you're wrong. I genuinely enjoy classical music more than anything else in the world, I'm not putting a facade just to impress you.
The fact that you think that genuinely appreciating classical music more than Hendrix seems impossible reveals more about yourself than me.

>Also, Epitaph is the worst track in that album
>inb4 moonchild
>plebs

ITCOTKC is a good album, but it's for sure not high art. It is remembered only because it was surrounded by a sea of actual mediocrity, but to think that Fripp is anything more than a amateur composer is laughable.

I wasn't quoting OP, though.

You can use creatively the tonal system without falling into dodecaphony. That said In the Court is an objectively repetitive album, and Fripp (at least at this point of his career) was literally unable to write more than 3 chord progressions for each song (wich is appalling, since they were not improvising).

I don't see how can you listen to Epitaph or Talking with the Wind without getting extremely bored.

You're either a teenage nihilist or completely tone-deaf. There's no way I can redeem your sould here on Veeky Forums. Enjoy your passionless existence.

I asked you a simple question, why are you being a coy cunt?
In your own words, there's a 'shitton' of deep music, surely you can dish out a couple of examples, right?

>Most poeple so stupid they don't even realize the same words or banging rocks are being babbled over and over.
So? Whats wrong with that? literature is the same words over and over writen in different ways

>it has to be different for me to pay attention and for me to enjoy it! I have ADHD!

>He can't even understand what he's saying

I look with pure disdain on the likes of you; you do not know the euphoric joys of true authenticity and/or intellectualism.

What?

COS I'M JUST A TEENAGE NIHILIST BABY

Music brings out the worst in people. This thread is another example.

>The fact that you think that genuinely appreciating classical music more than Hendrix seems impossible
I never said that, you can like whatever you want, just dont try to act like it is better than what other people like
>ITCOTKC is a good album, but it's for sure not high art
Who cares about "high art"? who are you or any critic to tell me what is "high art" or whatever non-sense that means? The only high art I know is whatever kind of human expression that moves me in any way.
>I don't see how can you listen to Epitaph or Talking with the Wind without getting extremely bored.
Thats because different people enjoy different stuff
>You're either a teenage nihilist or completely tone-deaf.
Nice ad-hominem

I wasn't the original poster ya dickhead, besides it's easy to mock any suggestion one might give so it's pointless

I cringed T.B.H

Deeep

>le cringe tee bee eish xP
thats your problem, not mine

If you have a dire need to classify art into "high" and "low" based on intrinsic complexity or difficulty of reproduction, then it's your fucking problem you utter pseud. You're just another retarded petty bourgeois, buying another shitty romanticist portrait while sleazily smirking at impressionist works. The one true quintessential philistine.

>keeps talking like he's in Enlightenment-tier play
>le true authentic intellectual
Could you be more of a fedora?

Haha good one Reddit

true intellectual byronic hero argument

>literal le wrong generation fag
>calls others reddit
Hi Leddit!

Just what Reddit would say

>The only high art I know is whatever kind of human expression that moves me in any way.
>Everything i like is good because i liiike it.

I was mocking the other dude for looking down on others for not being intellectual or authentic enough

And I get told I can't read!

I'm too avant-garde for this shithouse board

Just what a Byronic Hero would reply.

You're a Moronic Zero

You sure showed him.

youtube.com/watch?v=Wm15rvkifPc

actually yes

I didn't want to have to go there, but he prompted my full intellectual wrath

*All of Veeky Forums falls asleep*

>Everything i like is good because i liiike it
Well, yeah? How could something I like be "bad"? If it was bad I wouldnt like it
>why are you trying to accomplish a discussion?
because of the slight dopamine kick of getting (You)'s

fpbp

>muh intellect
Is that how autistic people function?

And know you got dry of mind. Sad.

What a waste of trips on this poorly executed post

I dont get that pepe

Trips never a waste. Don't be jealous and swallow my kek statement by once. I guarantee you will enjoy it, sooner or later.

The filename is pretty descriptive.

yeah but why used exactly that pepe, what is it trying to convey

He's trying to convey he's an alt-right white supremacist. They identify themselves through the sharing of particular symbols like pedophiles

That's a fucking cool bike

That's a fucking cool jeep.

>being so aesthetically relativist
Gotcha mate, you can't make any negative critic because people like all kinds of music. Sure thing.

>Who cares about "high art"? who are you or any critic to tell me what is "high art" or whatever non-sense that means? The only high art I know is whatever kind of human expression that moves me in any way.

As I said, anti-intellectualism. Searching for anything more than mere entertainment is seen by you as a waste of time. Pathetic.

>Thats because different people enjoy different stuff
You've swallowed that absolute relativism too, I see. Is there anything that I can critic negatively on this world?

>Nice ad-hominem
It was just a little slander against the pathetic man you are. Don't get so offended, it wasn't even part of the argument.

Honestly I never liked music? I'm way more language-oriented. Tbh I never "got it". I tried learning an instrument to see if I could get some appreciation out of it and I guess technically I can see it but it's just a bunch of pretty sounds. Idk why I'd want to have someone shout their emotions at me when I can read a story and just have them for myself

Music isn't about consuming the medium, it's about the process of creation
At least from a musicians perspective

Music without literature would be meaningless, philosophy ties them. Amen

But instrumental albums are good too

wow thats autistic.

>Music without literature would be meaningless
dont be a mong.

I'm almost the same way. It took me a long time to figure out a context where I like music. But honestly, it's like any artform: either you can be cynical about it or you can accept it as it is. You could be the same way with the best literature in the canon, you just choose to let it have meaning. I have a friend who is like that about all poetry, he just won't let it have any meaning for him.

And music is worth exploring. Even if it just means that you have a playlist you put on sometimes when you're working or jogging or whatever, and you don't ever take it seriously enough to get into music theory or symphonic/classical music, it can still enrich your life.