Should I marinate this pot roast before I cook it tomorrow? Dry rub...

Should I marinate this pot roast before I cook it tomorrow? Dry rub? Leave it alone until I sear it and put it in the slow cooker?

It's entirely up to you.

Marinating is pretty much pointless

Flavor's gonna depend on the liquid around the meat and the meat itself as it cooks, and a marinade won't make it any more tender than the heat and cooking time will

So I'd suggest leaving it be until you are actually cooking and put together the seasonings for the long haul

Just leave it. It's gonna braise in the slow cooker. Make sure you get white onions (or pearl onions) and those those faggy yellow or sweet onions. Also fuck carrots in pot roast. I like to add a little vegemite or soy sauce and mushrooms to really ramp up the savory elements.

Cut into two. Marinade half and leave the other half alone. Cook everything together, just remember that left is unmarinated and right is marinated. Post results. God speed user.

this, please don't marinate steak they have natural flavor

depends entirely on the fat content of the roast. If it's fatty, a dry rub oven roast gives you a great roast. If it's lean go with a seared wet roast. One gives you an amazing gravy the other gives you so so gravy.

I recommend cutting it up. Cooking a whole pot roast in a crock pot is no fun.

Also, make sure the liquids are up to cooking temperature before you drop the meat in. You don't want meat sitting in warm water for an hour while it heats up.

First of all, what OP posted is a chuck roast. It needs to be cooked slowly until it's falling apart, and doing that without seasoning would be awful. Second of all, it's USDA Choice, so even if it was the type of steak you're thinking of, there would be nothing of great value lost by marinating or seasoning it with more than salt and pepper. Try using your brain for once rather than mindlessly repeating what you've been told is correct, you fucking idiot.

OP, if you marinate just be sure to use that marinade (the liquid) as your braising liquid. Chuck is best used in a braise/stew.

Decided on not marinating because I'm a lazy fucker. Might post a cook-a-long tomorrow though. I'm making pot roast with turnips for the first time.

DO sear it enough to get a brown crust on most of the meat. Pat the roast dry and put it in a hot pan with a bit of oil to get a good sear.

DO deglaze the pan with some vidalia onions and little bit of water, then throw that in the pot

DON'T worry about marinating. Like other user said it will be braised in liquid for a long time, that's all the marinating you need. For the liquid I recommend

Base:
Vegetable broth
Red wine

Seasoning:
Worcestershire sauce
Onion powder
Dried parsley
Dried dill
Dried rosemary
Fresh crushed garlic (just crush the cloves with the flat of your knife)
Additional salt if the broth doesn't have enough

If you want a thick gravy, pour or ladle out most of the broth after it's done cooking and reduce add it to a roux and go from there.

If you want to marinate it, do it german sauerbraten style. Myself I'd just braise it in a typical american pot roast style for 3 hours.

My body is ready seekay.

>packaged beef stock.
Oh boy.

Meat gets a nice rub down with olive oil, black pepper, and sea salt before the sear. In the meantime let's process veg.

Forgot pic like a moron.

Nice bed of veg for the meat to sleep on. Now we sear.

Hello OP, I just found your thread. I bought a (boneless) beef chuck roast yesterday and I just loaded it into the slow-cooker. Maybe we can compare notes. Here's what I did:
Last night I coated the roast with garlic powder and cracked pepper. I wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge overnight.
Today I removed it from the fridge, and let it sit for an hour while I cut some veggies.
I put onion, celery, and carrot in the slow-cooker and placed the roast on top, fat side up.
I rubbed some chopped garlic, basil and rosemary into the fat and poured about 3/4 cup of red wine over the roast.
Its cooking on low and will be ready around 8pm. If I can remember, I will update in this thread later.

But first I'm gonna get high.

>didn't sear the meat before putting it into the slow cooker

Nothing like some kratom tea to get you in the mood for cooking. I mix it with herbal tea for flavor.

I seared my last roast. I didn't sear this one so I could compare the results.

Sipping out of a Game Grumps mug cause I'm a faggot who watches them.

This thread is quickly moving into /soc/ territory

N I C E A N D H O T

Fuck I wish I had a bigger pan.

Seems to be workibg regardless.

Maillard reaction FTW

It's time....

TO D-D-D-D-DDDDDDDDDEGLAZE

Used beef stock and PBR, added crushes garlic cloves and fresh rosemary.

Decided to add a splash of basalmic for some acidity abd sweetness.

If your intent was to deglaze then why the fuck are you using a nonstick pan?

Poured it in over the meat. Sitting high but we'll be fine I think. The vegetables should shrink a little as they cook, especially the onions on the bottom.

Wow look at you Mr. Fancy Pants who can afford more than 4 pans, some of which aren't nonstic. Some of us are NEETs living off savings you know.

Yeah in all seriousness though I have shitty kitchen equipment and not a lot of money to spend on new stuff.

Added in the rest of the stock from the carton, the secret ingredient shown here, and pounded back what was left of that PBR. That combined with the kratom has me feeling pretty frosty right now.

>generic question thread turns into a surprise cook along
OP is based

Did someone order a fuckload of herbs and spices? I used:

Fresh rosemary
Oregano
Parsley
Sage
Paprika
Celery seeds(becsuse I like the flavor of celery, but hate the texture it gets after slow cooking)

Now we wait, see you gents again at dinner time.

Thanks user, I try to contribute to this board whenever I can. Still shitpost a lot though.

Fuck my house smells nice rn.

Consider adding some carrots, onions and potatoes for the last hour, no? They can absorb some of the drippings.

Already in there baby

There's no reason to marinate something if you're going to braise it.

Got to a thrift store. By a shitty stainless steel pan for like 6$

Looking bretty gud, now to make gravy from the drippings.

Not a bad idea, I'll look around for one.

Roux.

Drippings.

Meet.

salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, plus a bit of ground mustard, and thyme

A little black pepper.

Finished product + gravy.

pot roast or slow cooked meat - NO
flank, or skirt steak cooked fast over high heat - YES

>and a marinade won't make it any more tender than the heat and cooking time will
Not sure about that. Salt and acids can improve the texture of meat but you usually use more than you would want in the finished product.

OP here, it tastes pretty fucking good. Thanks for the tips everyone, I appreciate it. This is the first recipe I've used turnips in and I have to say I'm a fan. They have a surprisingly savory, almost smokey taste and good texture.

I did one of these chuck roasts the other day. Sous vide 155f for 24 hrs then smoked for 4 it was awesome.

I dont think marinating in salt and acid would improve the texture in the case of slow cooking. Its already going to be basically marinating in the braising liquid and the proteins are breaking down a lot anyways. If you salt and acid the meat for a day prior it might come out all grey and have a weird texture. Worth a try though I guess, I could be wrong. Sometimes I am surprised at recipes that go against classic technique that turn out really well.

Looks great. Damn good job.

This looks great. Thanks for sharing. I started making pot roast recently and I learned a lot from this thread.