Which subjects do like studying for fun / in parallel to your main subject?

Okay I recently completed a PhD in mathematics (analytic number theory), while I enjoy the subject, it often feels so far removed from reality that I often feel cravings to study another subject other than (pure) math just for fun. Anyone know this feel?

What sort of subjects do you learn / study apart from your main subject (doesn't have to be math)? Because I focussed largely on pure topics during college years, I'm currently going through a book on general relativity but I also want some less related to math.

I've considered neuroscience and cognitive science types. Maybe even linguistics? What sort of stuff do you read?

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/Why-is-the-Curry-Howard-isomorphism-interesting/answer/Sridhar-Ramesh?srid=Tslj
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context-free_grammar
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_syntax_tree
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Math
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Computer science
Engineering
Philosophy
Linguistics
Economics
History
Politics

Choose

Farming
Self-sufficiency
Homesteading
Permaculture
Mycology
DIY-stuff (metallurgy, electronics, woodworking, etc)

(OP)
I'm very much into mathematics that fit under the umbrella of 'discrete mathematics' (think graph theory, combinatorics, logic, etc) and want to specialize in algorithms (potentially graph related algorithms). I'm also interested in linear algebra, algebra and their connections to category theory. Eventually I would like to better understand homotopy type theory (I think this is the direction my studies are leading me down long term).

On the side for "fun" I started getting into deep learning and programming. I'm starting to pursue it in parallel to my more pure math studies. I want to better understand deep learning. All I do is theorems-proofs. I never create anything "real" or produce anything tangible people can see. I want to shake that up a bit and start doing deep learning projects on the side for fun. Mostly just to "learn" how things work.

I also am starting to get into functional programming and software development. I want to learn how to do "data engineering" stuff to connect all the pipes to pipes for the data science/big data. Depending on how much I like ML I could see myself getting into both "data engineering" and a "machine learning" role.

My interest has always aligned with theory more than anything practical, so even if I approach a practical subject I always approach it from a theoretical pov to have solid foundations.

Astrology

You mean Astronomy. Right? Right?????????

Interesting list... but why mycology.

Seems like the odd one out.

>Okay I recently completed a PhD in mathematics (analytic number theory), while I enjoy the subject, it often feels so far removed from reality
That's exactly what applied math is for

OP here. You're right, but I'm also look for some non-math related subjects. Doesn't have to have zero math in it, but something different. For instance I realized the other day I know f. all about the economy so macro would be a possibility I guess.

This sounds very interesting.

There seems to be a lot of overlap in some of the subjects I'm interested in.

Math, Computer science and programming, Cognitive Science, Neuroscience, Linguistics, AI, deep learning and machine learning, even philosophy of mind etc.

Is there somethign which connects all of these subjects. They seem interrelated. It looks like somethign I'd be interested it.

Most of the puremath people I know really like to do electrical engineering. I can see why, there's all sorts of topology, analysis, and other ways to totally style on niggas who just graduated with EE.

I'm a physics major, but I really study aerospace engineering more than physics. I also have a sweet spot in my heart for neuroscience, I've done a few projects and I'm on track to minor in it.

I browse Wikipedia articles on linguistics, especially late at night.
Even tried making my own language but it was shit.

>I know f. all about the economy
Sounds like you'd be right at home doing macroeconomics, then.

Nothing connects those subjects you fucking idiot.

Nothing connects those subjects you fucking idiot. What has math got to do with philosophy of mind or cognitive science? Or even neuroscience? You're just collecting shit subjects, many of which are pseudosciences, which you think sound "cool" and "awesome" to study and trying to find connctions between them. Cognitive science especially, is a joke and no it has no relation to neuroscience.

It is part of farming and permaculture. Looks up mycorrhizae farming. Plus, you can farm all manner of fungi to eat. There's a lot to know.

I believe there exist various connections between these subjects. For Math/Programming look into things like: quora.com/Why-is-the-Curry-Howard-isomorphism-interesting/answer/Sridhar-Ramesh?srid=Tslj

Category theory & Functional Programming are related.

Grammars:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context-free_grammar

Theoretical studies like this can be applied to Compilers/Compiler theory.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_syntax_tree

For AI/Deep Learning there is work being done on making translations easier. Deep learning is attempting to solve some very hard language translation problems.

you'll have to explain this to my ling department which does cog sci and neuroscience research and has major connections with the cs department.

I like my paragraphs to be visually separated. I write reports like that too. If you don't like it, then I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings. I can email moot and have him take it down.

Arts

>9067376

Go on........

Math student here and I have a question for you. If you just got your PhD shouldn't you now be focusing on your academic career? I thought that getting your PhD was just the beginning and after that you need to publish 100 papers and suck administrative cocks full time for at least 5 years before you have a stable job and income.

How come you are so calm and looking for hobbies? I do not understand.