So l accidentally agreed to write a play that my rich friend is going to finance (he's already put a some money down)...

So l accidentally agreed to write a play that my rich friend is going to finance (he's already put a some money down) and I've never published anything longer than a short story before. Am I fucked?

Also general playwriting tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JEIceHIxvtI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just nut up and give it a shot.

who's going to watch this play?

if its a handfull of undergrads that you barely know, who cares?

you could probably embezzle some of the money and buy a nice pair of shoes

what will it be about?

I'll get you started.

[cockney] 'Kippers for breakfast, Aunt Helga? Is it St. Swithin's Day already?'
'Tis,' replied Aunt Helga.

It's sponsored by my city's historical society, they pack house normally.

The only rule is it has to be about the Civil War

Dude, just go for it.

Cowards die many times before their actual deaths. -- Julius Caesar

kek

this gon b good

make it an adaption of romeo and juliette. a young soldier falls in love with a thicc black girl
then they kill themselfes and so on

good start

I like it, one of the plebs wanted it to be an adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing, but I (again before the realization of what I actually had agreed to had dawned on me) was playing the aloof artist and was like "the story of this war is the story of us, it should come from here" and pointed to my heart.

So they already know you're an idiot. You really have nothing to lose.

this is getting better with every post

then make it as micro as possible. male the war background noise. focus on the story of a very small number of protagonists and make it more about the deep impact it had on their personal drama than on something like wanting to accurately go trough the timetable of the war

write about an angry, neet, shut-in who's oblivious to the war.....he's going mad thinking about all the pussy that's available to him that he can't get access to (he lives in a city where half the menfolk are either dead or are away fighting). also, he lives in a northern city where he's at odds with all the "libtard" unionists and their abolitionist laws.

also his mom has decided to stop running after him and he's a compulsive masturbater

adaptation of Arms and the Man

I'm not actually that much of an asshole, my friend and I have a game where we go to high class bars and he introduces me as a semi-famous writer, and I act like a dick. It just got out of hand this time.

I like the idea, I think I have a base outline for the plot, I'm just not sure how to actually write a play.

This would actually get you good reviews. Not memeing.
>Julieteisha is a slave-girl who was bought at auction to be freed.
>Robert's family is all confederates, and, initially, so is he.
>They meet at a ball -- she's a maid or something and he's a guest of honor because he just survived some particularly gory battle.
>He starts out pining for some rich southern-belle type, but then locks eyes with Julieteisha and his heart melts.
>She's initially intimidated by his status and runs away; he gives chase.
>They finally wind up alone together, close the scene with a stolen kiss.
Fast forward a few weeks.
>Robert is fighting and Julieteisha is cleaning, but they carry each other in their thoughts.
>Robert sends her letters, and she's learning to read just so she can understand what's happening to him.
>They eventually arrange to meet again, with the help of the man who freed her (this guy can be the Friar)
And so on.

As for actually writing a play, just adhere to a somewhat standard formatting and make sure your scenes are at least 10 pages long so there aren't too many scene transitions. Try to avoid too many monologues, as those tend to bog things down. If you need an editor and/or co-writer, I can contribute.

Why not adapt some of Whitman's and Melville's poems on war? The former was particularly dissapointed with the war and how the great nation he sung could reduce itself to carnage. You could even make it about Whitman himself and the impact the war had on his poetry.

Always assume the actors will suck infinite dick and try to convey the character's emotions solely through the dialogue.

this is true

fuck actors they are the chads of the artist class

>translations

Sounds too much like gone with the wind with a nigger woman instead of a Yankee soldier.
I suggest a setting early in the civil war in bleeding Kansas.
>Not already over exploited
>Two families a leading abolitionist and leading slaver
>Weave in themes about divisive American politics and what they can lead to
>This would make you seem very creative and topical with the election and so on.

How degenerate.

>my friend and I have a game where we go to high class bars and he introduces me as a semi-famous writer, and I act like a dick
W*w, that's f*******ng epic, my good sir! Those idiots probably think you're serious, too! You guys are so spontaneous and fun! Haha, you guys must be so confident and cool. Acting up at bars? You guys are legit my heroes. Post this on r/funny so I can updoak your ghost.

Why do you have to be mad?

Arthur Miller plays, read them

I'd love to see something done about the two armored ships that the union and south made fight each other in a legendary battle, maybe something about gay incest brothers anthropormorphized as the ship and add in a dance number for the battle.
Hire the most liberal black lesbian songwriter and you'll be on your way to broadway.
Also, add an old dying pedophile writer whose narrating the whole thing to his loli crush to woo her. At the end, she convinces a black man to beat him up as the stage fades to black.

The Battle of Hampton Roads involving The Monitor?

youtube.com/watch?v=JEIceHIxvtI

THE best album of the 2010's btw