Interesting / weird Wikipedia articles - Veeky Forums edition

ITT: We post amusing & or intriguing Wikipedia articles that are Science & Math related.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thioacetone
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_genetics_of_Jews
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_transmissible_venereal_tumor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventor's_paradox
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraethylmethane
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cummingtonite
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbral_calculus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor_function
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I saw your deleted thread OP

if you want to link a post on another board you need to include the board name in it and 3 arrows

for example

t-thanks

I'll post some interesting chemicals

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thioacetone

Warning: I like explosives.

Pentaerythritol tetranitrate

Nitrogen Triiodide, one of the least stable compounds you can synthesize yourself very easily.

Fluoroantimonic acid. Strongest acid known, will protonate nearly every known organic substance.

Heptanitrocubane. Pretty sure you can figure it out by just looking at it, extremely explosive.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_genetics_of_Jews

Azidoazide, the least stable compound known, for structurally obvious reasons

Cyanide Salts. Of course cyanide is extremely poisonous, but it's the reason which is so scary; Your cells are no longer able to respirate, causing death usually from a lack of heart contraction.

(RS)-Propan-2-yl methylphosphonofluoridate, or Sarin Gas. Sarin gas binds irreversibly to acetylcholine, an extremely important neurotransmitter involved in muscular function. Upon binding, the enzyme which normally regulates acetylcholine can no longer inactivate it, causing death from muscle spasms. Banned chemical agent, of course

Carbonyl dichloride, or phosgene. Got an old bottle of chloroform around? Probably has phosgene in it.
Its high toxicity arises from the action of the phosgene on the proteins in the pulmonary alveoli, the site of gas exchange: their damage disrupts the blood–air barrier, causing suffocation. Also a banned chemical

>Not based Hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane

7>6
though that molecular is way more interesting

molecule*

Mercedes

Poorly drawn swastika

(checked)
Stick figure handjob at the top of a pyramid

X-Wing next to an explosion

Literally a cube

Levitating man with no legs mows his lawn

Nitrogen uses Carbon as projectiles against the enemy in the Sodium wars

Either an antenna coming out of some guy's massive penis, or an upside-down gymnast performing fillatio on aforementioned guy with massive penis

Side-view of a trebuchet

The back of a birdhouse placed on top of a mirror

Where's my chem degree?

i fucking laughed so hard, thank you creative user

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe

Someone should screencap this.

I'll see your Pentaerythritol tetranitrate,
and raise you an o

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thioacetone
>Recently we found ourselves with an odour problem beyond our worst expectations. During early experiments, a stopper jumped from a bottle of residues, and, although replaced at once, resulted in an immediate complaint of nausea and sickness from colleagues working in a building two hundred yards away. Two of our chemists who had done no more than investigate the cracking of minute amounts of trithioacetone found themselves the object of hostile stares in a restaurant and suffered the humiliation of having a waitress spray the area around them with a deodorant. The odours defied the expected effects of dilution since workers in the laboratory did not find the odours intolerable … and genuinely denied responsibility since they were working in closed systems. To convince them otherwise, they were dispersed with other observers around the laboratory, at distances up to a quarter of a mile, and one drop of either acetone gem-dithiol or the mother liquors from crude trithioacetone crystallisations were placed on a watch glass in a fume cupboard. The odour was detected downwind in seconds.

Epic.

I too browse reddit.

someone posted this long ago which I found interesting; essentially a cancer from a species of dog has become its own species. There is a theory that cancers should be regarded as seperate species as they genetically differ/change from their host, granted overtime the difference becomes so great you get instances like this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_transmissible_venereal_tumor

"Although the genome of a CTVT is derived from a canid (probably a dog, wolf or coyote), it is now essentially living as a unicellular, asexually reproducing (but sexually transmitted) pathogen"

most of these are from an old list of either banned or dangerous chemicals i had saved.
HeLa cells are the same thing, originally a very aggressive cervical tumor but now are so genetically different people are talking about classifying them as it's own species

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventor's_paradox

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraethylmethane

>inb4 "is C9H20 /our chemical compound/?"

>el oh el it looks like a swastika XD
>el oh el gas the jews XD
Am I edgy enough for 4chin yet guys?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cummingtonite

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride

>It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water — with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals — steel, copper, aluminum, etc. — because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.

1. Its mildy entertaining at best.
2. Its fucking one key on your keyboard. It took more keystrokes to type that than it would have to actually do it.
3. Kill yourself.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbral_calculus

>ignites with contact with asbestos, sand, and water
alrighty then

Steven Roman has a textbook on that and also he has video lectures on cat theory and group theory. Check them out anons or he'll close it down

>cat theory
Please tell more. Like does this build upon the dog hypothesis?

this made me laugh harder than anything else today

>derivative is zero everywhere
>function is still obviously increasing
what fucking sorcery is this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor_function