Asking here since Veeky Forums didn't help much

Asking here since Veeky Forums didn't help much.

Are there any pop-sci books worth reading?

Other urls found in this thread:

quantumenigma.com/nutshell/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chemical_History_of_a_Candle
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0INsTTU1k2UCpOfRuMDR-wlvWkLan1_r
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Quantum Enigma

quantumenigma.com/nutshell/

I'd classify it as pop-sci, but it is of the highest level. There is no bullshit, analogies are incredibly accurate to the actual theory, but the analogous stories are within reach of anyone with a high school education.

I don't know if it is pop-sci, but Jurassic Park's book is pretty amazing, it does concentrate on the science parts way more than the film.

b u l l s h i t

A Brief History Of Mankind by Yuval Noah Harari is pretty good, particularly it's bit on early human civilization (read: prior to the development of agriculture). It's not well cited, so I chose to replace it with a paleoanthropology textbook, but it's pretty interesting if you want to learn about the fall of humanity.

If you want a pop-sci book that'll actually give you some more utility than an existential crisis, then I might recommend Rationality: From AI to Zombies by Eliezer Yudkowsky.

Elaborate

Any for which you have a genuine interest in the subject area.

I liked everything by Michio Kaku, especially "Physics of the Impossible"

Anything by Roger Penrose or Feynman is pretty good, they aren't textbooks but they will go into the details more than most pop sci books (Feynman lectures are just that, lectures). Susskind's books ain't bad for an amateur. More than books I would suggest reading articles written by people who know what they are talking about yet aimed at a general audience, quanta magazine, nature, science, and (sometimes) nautilus are good for this sort of thing. Kolmogorov math it's content and meaning is great.

The Road to Reality

Feynman's lectures aren't pop-sci... they're mechanics lectures intended for the advanced physic's student. Have you even read what you're recommending? Lol

This, and Machinery of Life by David Goodsell. The latter is great for starting cellular biologists for building an intuition about how dynamic microscopic things can be and how crowded the cell is.

>they aren't textbooks but they will go into the details more than most pop sci books (Feynman lectures are just that, lectures)
I didn't call them pop-sci books, I specifically called them lectures, did you even read the post?
>they're mechanics lectures intended for the advanced physic's student
You...haven't actually read the Feynman lectures, have you? Mechanics is one part, there's em, thermo, wave phenomenon, and qm, not just mechanics, they're also freshman/sophomore level texts, not "advanced physics student", hell high schoolers read the Feynman lectures with not much issue

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chemical_History_of_a_Candle
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0INsTTU1k2UCpOfRuMDR-wlvWkLan1_r

>If you want a pop-sci book that'll actually give you some more utility than an existential crisis
Why would that book give me an existential crisis?

>t. brainlet

>Why would that book give me an existential crisis?
It sets you on the path of realizing that agriculture was a net loss for humanity, and that you'll only ever be able to live in a caricature of the environment you were adapted to live in.

Yudkowsky is a literal crank and you would do well not to financially support him.

You can get the book for free, and regardless of what you think about the author, the content of the book is pretty good (so far as I've read).

>A Brief History Of Mankind by Yuval Noah Harari is pretty good, particularly it's bit on early human civilization (read: prior to the development of agriculture)
It's a terrible book of ideology shilling. It is literally just random, unfounded opinions paraded as factual.

No, all pop-sci books are shit.

While not pop-sci, or easy to understand, it is intellectually rich and written for a general audience.
Incomplete Nature: How mind emerged from matter.
Terence Deacon

Richard dawkins and Lawrence Krauss are good places to start

Bill Bryson's A Brief History of Everything is as pop as you can get, buts its a good read.

Bullshit
Have fun starving to death and get btfo by wild animals you idiot

Would someone care to explain what this one is about? Why is it so great?

No

/thread

>he doesn't respond with an argument
What did he mean by this?

>you need an argument to counter a non argument
lol

No, they will probably give you a wrong notion of a scientific concept and enchance your Dunning-Kruger effect, and then we will laugh at you when you spout stupid opinions.

Lectures on Physics by Feynman is the only "pop-sci" book I'd recommend

t. brainlet

>Dunning-Kruger effect
You're going through it right now.