Okay here's the deal. I'm a beginner cook and also a poorfag so this is all I could afford...

Okay here's the deal. I'm a beginner cook and also a poorfag so this is all I could afford. I also have red and yellow capsicum, brusselsprouts, white button mushrooms, carrots, fresh garlic and a lot of dried spices. What's the best was to create a nice meal with only two cooking plates and a microwave?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-bone_steak
twitter.com/AnonBabble

depends on if you'd be willing to set the plates on fire

>porterhouse
It's a funny looking porterhouse. Where are you, OP? Using the term "capsicum" I take it you're not American?

The packaging clearly says "Product of New Zealand"

Well I am german but right now I am in New Zealand. I have no idea how a good steak should look so I bought this. Did I fuck up?

That is a sad looking "steak". You probably could have gotten a different, better meat for the same price. Hell, I'd even go for tofu, beans, or lentils over that.

You can either fry the steak (and season it with coriander, oregano, cumin, and minced garlic), or turn it into beef stew. Keep the the "capsica" out, mince the garlic, chop the steak into small pieces, slice the mushrooms, sautée all three of them together, add water (or stock, if you've got that), coarsely chop the carrot, throw it in the pot, add thyme and bay leaves, let it simmer for a long while.
You should get onions and celery next time.

what kind of stock would I need? Beef stock?

>Keep the the "capsica" out
white boi detected

It's a fine cut of steak. In the US a "porterhouse" is similar to a t-bone with the tenderloin and the sirloin on the bone.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-bone_steak

It's a fine steak. You're going to want to sear it off on very very high heat very fast and not serve it cooked past medium...unless you like your steak cooked well done. It's your choice. I'd salt and pepper the steak and then sear on very high heat on one of the hot plates. After searing the steak I'd remove it from the pan and throw in the button mushrooms and sear them off as well. Once they're well cooked I"d throw in your sliced capsicum and garlic in wiith the mushroom and give them a saute on high heat and add the spices. The carrots could probably be boiled in the microwave.

This is kinda what I had in mind from the beginning, how do I go about the fat on the side? I like a little fat but not a huge chunk. Do I just cut it off after searing it or what should I do?

Turn it on its side and cook the fat for a short time to render it

Alright thanks, will do. You didn't mention the brussel sprouts, are they a bad fit in this meal? I thought they might be nice with the mushrooms and peppers

Cut them in half, then boil or steam for 2-3 minutes, then saute in the leftover fat from your steak and season with a bit of salt and pepper.

Cheers mate. I will post results if anyone cares.

Go for it.

>I also have red and yellow capsicum
what did he mean by this?

Pepper

>american doesn't know vegtables
what else is new?

This.

We will wait for you...much like a dog in the rain or a prom date.

Step one: Cutting and seasoning

Step two: fry them veggies up

Step three: fry steak and plate it up

We just call those bell peppers. Because they're peppers and they're shaped roughly like a bell. And there's also a lot of different kinds of peppers so it's important to distinguish them from one another.

Bonus shot of the steak. I think the temperatur turned out okay. All in all it was a very nice meal and it was probably the best thing I ever made. Thanks to all Anons helping out

Hey, that looks pretty good OP. You could probably get a better sear on that, but you're certainly off to a good start. Don't be afraid to really get the heat up on the pan when you cook the steak. Good job.

looks like a nice meal user.
9/10 would eat

As a poorfag, do not buy steaks. If you want meat, buy chicken or cheap, tough cuts of beef or pork that you can slow cook to tenderize.

I hope you added those vegetables in different steps.

Looks nice, user.

I have to say OP, that looks very nice. Good job.

I turned up the cooking plate to maximum heat, unfortunately the plate doesn't get that hot even on that setting. I life in a hostel at the moment so that's all I have access to

>half pound porterhouse
????

what do you mean?

Yes. And as a german he would in his own language refer to them as Paprika. But this has a different meaning in English.

One of many examples where the common trope, that germans are in love with their wacky compound words is more or less reversed.

Now give the man some cooking advice instead of argueing semantics.

>And as a german he would in his own language refer to them as Paprika. But this has a different meaning in English.
For the sake of learning and just because I didn't realize this for a long time, in English paprika refers to the ground spice made from dried red bell peppers. So there's at least a little bit of sense to it.

7/10
came out better than i expected it to
good job OP, crank it up a bit higher next time, get a good sear at the beginning because you can't get a good one if you try to do it later

Did you fry the steak in the same pan you used for the veggies?

panfry the meat in one, some sort of veggies in the other. i'd either go with simple panfried mushrooms with garlic and black pepper or brusselsprouts&carrots

I did. Is that bad?

Not at all. When you cook something in a pan, the stuff it leaves at the bottom of the pan is called the fond. That fond is very flavorful, and can be used to make sauces by deglazing it with a flavorful liquid (stock, wine, etc). Cooking something in the remnants of the other thing will just impart flavor on the thing you're cooking. I would go for cooking the steak and then the vegetables in the pan, and then deglazing the pan with a bit of liquid once the vegetables have been cooked.

Yes, the connection is there. Which helps memorizing it, for sure.

Another interesting and kinda related example is, the word Pepperoni/peperoni. Which in English describes a certain kind of salami, but in german can both refer to that salami and Pfefferonen, which are meaty green peppers.

Especially when ordering Pizza it is sometimes a mystery, what you will get, since almost no places clarify which nomenclature they use.

Thanks for the advice that's very helpful. Does any cheap red wine work for this deglazing you're talking about? I can buy some wine for 10 NZ bucks. Or does it need to be expensive stuff?

Use cheap, but drinkable stuff. Remember that a little goes a long way. If you're a real poorfag, don't bother for the most part. Also just read around or watch videos to get some basic cooking techniques down (Chef John on Youtube is very good for beginners if you can stand his speech pattern). Some things that I would recommend you learn are how to make chicken stock and break down and cook a whole chicken carcass.

well I'm not really a poor fag I was more refering to the part that I life in a hostel currently and have limited access to decent cookware and hot plates. Gonna check out that channel you're talking about. Also gonna try that whole deglazing business tomorrow, will probably post some pics in this thread if it turns out okay. Thanks for everything

I don't get deglazing.. do you just put like chicken stock on the pan in a high heat?

Apparently a lot of the flavours of the meat and vegies stays in the pan and you just use a liquid to free it from the bottom of the pan. You can make a sauce out of it for example

A lot of recipes say you need an oven for pan-sear steaks (either before the pan-sear or after) but I have no oven. How do I go about this?

>I don't get deglazing.

The idea is to make a sauce from the little bits of food that get stuck to the pan after cooking. You add a liquid (could be stock, wine, booze...). That liquid dissolves the fond stuck to the pan.

You don't have to use an oven, it's just easy to do it that way.

If you don't have an oven start by searing your steaks using high heat, then lower the heat to finish cooking through.

What kind of poorfag is buying a $7 piece of meat?

Careful of cross contamination. You don't want to get sick because your veggies were a little too close to you meat. Especially Poultry.

Well like I said I'm not really a poor fag I just don't have a good kitchen atm because my living conditions

I bought some ingredients and wine and will cook later today. Is anyone still lurking? Will post results if anyone is interested

Sure, OC is always welcome

where you at OP? wellington here xxx

Welli. This better not be you Ruben

Alright here we go! Beef is cut and preped, put some oil on there and added salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, some cumin and oregano. Let it sit for a while

Vegies are cut up and are getting fried first. Today I used white-button mushrooms, brussel sprouts, carrot, red kumara and green beans plus some garlic

Final result today. Cut some spring onion and put it over final result. I also deglazed the pan with some 10$ wine and made a pan sauce which was very tasty but I would have made a bit more

Bonus shot today is of the red wine reduction pan sauce. Delicious! Let me know if you Anons have more tips how to further refine this recipe

Bump. Nothing at all?

YOU better shut your pussy ass up before I slice and dice yo ass and cook that shit up wit ma DICK LIL WHITEY NZ ASS

1. Why the lemon , this ain't no fish
2. You're meat searing needs some work , use a higher temp and more fat
Cheers cunt

I enjoy putting some lemon juice over the veggies. And like I already mentioned 3 times in this thread I can't get a hotter plate for now

Looked ok. Try braising some meat in the rest of the wine that you have. Use a meat with some fat and connective tissue, sear, add vegetables to the pan (hardy ones that can stand forming cooking times like onions, potatoes, etc), add some wine to the pan so that your ingredients are partially covered and let simmer covered on low heat until the meat is tender.

Finally some advice, willprobably try this tomorrow then. Problem is I can't really sear toowell with my hot plate are there any alternatives?