Do you really enjoy books, or do you just want the social prestige of being an intellectual behemoth?

Do you really enjoy books, or do you just want the social prestige of being an intellectual behemoth?

Do you really enjoy reading Gass, or do you just want to force your way to a microscopic amount of recognition on an internet forum?

are the two mutually exclusive?

are the two mutually exclusive?

Aside from actually liking reading, I like destroying two-bit ideologues with my intellect, and reading enhances my ability to do so.

Besides how does reading increase social prestige anyway? If anything it only isolates me from normies.

I'm searching in literature for answers to my constant feeling of crushing sadness and hopelessness

This, I enjoy the immediate experience, the ideas in the long term, AND the idea of bettering myself and what that means for my place with others.

But also this, I end up feeling more alienated the older I get.

>But also this, I end up feeling more alienated the older I get.

t. 22 year old

I like reading and discussing literature, philosophy and politics because my self image and self worth is completly build upon being smart and later being or having the potential to become intellectual. I was always the kid who knew a lot and who was good at school. I had not much else going for me. Of course I have largely outgrown this single characteristic today but literature is still a big part of my personality. I dont look down on others for being good at different things though, I am not superior for enjoying thigs deemed intellectual than someone who is good and likes discussing and playing a sport. Its just what I am kind of good at, at least in comparison to my peers, and what I enjoy but it has also formed as a person and continues to do so.

>do you just want the social prestige of being an intellectual behemoth
>intellectual behemoth

Anybody here who unironically thought Clinton was going to win can't claim that...especially if the next words out of their mouths are something like "yeah I didn't bet on everybody being so dumb!".

Reading makes me think differently, and I like thinking. It's like watching a Bergman film, you end up with your mind blown and full of thoughts.
This is why I prefer classics over genre fiction. I don't care much if people think I'm smart or dumb, but I like to have an intellectual baggage I can use to conversate with other folks.

No, I don't have any friends and I'm not planning on getting any

i do enjoy books
i have just read a book in a sitting ~400 pages even though i just wanted to read a bit before going to sleep
and now i am a half dead wreck because i didnĀ“t sleep
but fuck it was amazing nothing can compare to the minds kino

See a doctor user. Philosophy can rarely solve a brain disorder

>Anybody here who unironically thought Clinton was going to win can't claim that..

Where did that come from?

I think some massive autist came over from /pol/ recently, he spergs out in many topics about leftists and trump.
It's not just your regular /pol/ though, he does it even in those completely unrelated. I think he's obsessed and views everything like he's on a holy crusade.

Just here to drop my truth bomb salvos.

Can't you just assume we know all that, and stick to discussing philosophy?

i do it to impress the cuties
which is all the more easy since they don't know shit about shit

Both?

>being an intellectual behemoth comes with social prestige
only plebs think this way, real intellectuals read for its own sake

incredible insight
looks like we've got an intellectual behemoth on Veeky Forums