>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xAiM8xR1CfM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Last thread was purged.

>thread gets raided or something by a bunch of people who clearly never usually post here
>mods delete the thread rather just ban the people ruining the thread
great moderation there, not lazy at all

What are we reading?

On Blue's Waters.

A fucking masterpiece, so much better than Long Sun it's not even funny.

I'm like "But Wolfe, you could write like THIS the whole time and purposely, deliberately chose NOT to? Why? WHY?"

I'm working on a 25,000 word thesis to defend Patrick Rothfuss' magum opus and prove that it has literary meaning. Anyone here willing to give me their thoughts? I'll credit you as a source and everything.

It's neckbeardy wish fulfillment, nothing else.

It's like poetry. It has a melodic charm to it. I don't understand the hate on the prose, I love it.

To me his prose looks like what a neckbeard would THINK poetry sounds, rather than actual poetry.

So we will pretend like the previous thread never happened? Fine with me.

All those intellectual thieves were getting worrisome.

Lucifer's Hammer.
It has potential GRI (sex offender) so far. Enjoying it.

If you're writing something out where a character is having an important prophetic dream, should it be more straightforward or metaphorical?
The idea is that a fairy queen's telling a young witch to watch out for this knight, because he's engaged to the fairy queen and she wants to marry him after a while, so she's offering magic stuff to the witch in exchange for her care. So considering it's fairies I think the presentation and set-up would be 'dream-like' enough, but I'm still a bit concerned.

Im about to write a scene in which a character jumps out a window and into a dumpster like an action hero to catch a small, flying object

I know exactly how retarded that is but I can't think of another way to make it dramatic that doesn't involve her ending up with a bunch of holes in her. What do

Have her jump out the window thinking it'll be safe because she can land in the dumpster, but then

a) the trash is mostly solid so she breaks her leg and has to devise her escape, maybe by crawling into a nearby sewer grate

b) the "trash" is actually mostly broken glass so now she's bleeding like a stuck pig and doesn't have long to find shelter and medical care before she passes out from blood loss.

Both situations create more dramatic tension than just "whew, good thing that dumpster bin was there! looks like I've escaped unhurt!"

Man, Dumai's Wells were awesome
Asha'man FTW

>ASHA'MAN, KILL!
>...and the front line of the Aiel exploded.
>Kneel. Or you will be knelt.

Taim is one stone cold motherfucker.

Catgirls always land on their feet.
>catch a small, flying object
Good at that too.

Dislocated shoulder could work.

Is the Gor series any good?

Someone please post houseplant pasta

I literally know for sure that my prose style and characterization and description and plot are better than Patrick Rothfuss' and on top of that it didn't take me nine fucking years to finish undergrad. How frustrating is this. I should just send my thing to DAW

I'm sure you are little user. Your mom said so right? It must be true then.

He certainly is
And I hope Logain gets some badass moments, too
He really deserves them, after all that gentling business

No, my mom's never read Rothfuss

thinking about starting the three-body problem
haven't read any of that author's stuff before

just read dune, bretty gud

Fevre dream
Julian is alpha.

>do absolutely nothing all day long while spouting some bullshit about slaves and masters
>my subhuman redneck lackey has to do all the actual work because I literally cannot be assed to get out of my comfy chair

I could continue but I don't want to spoiler the book for you, suffice it to say Julian is far, FAR from alpha. The most alpha character in that book is Hairy Mike Dunne.

Just finished a reread of the Ender's Game sequels, they were remarkable, much better than when I was 12. Especially in SftD/Xenocide, Card's got this uncanny dynamism with all his characters and their goals interacting with each other, and the philosophy and story are tightly integrated.

Shame there's so little action. Pogrom in Xenocide, some evasive maneuvers and Peter karate in Children of the Mind, that's it.

Given it's a fairy, is it even possible for her to be straightforward? Prophetic dreams in general should be vague to the extreme, so that it's difficult, requires faith, to adhere to it, but also so that it's plain after its fulfillment that it was accurate.

When the Deus Ex that gentled men could be cured was shitted out I gave up on that series.

The Ilearth War

It's kind of fucked up desu

All of it right?

It only gets better, the God Emperor of Dune is the best book.

>a grand total of one, maybe two men cured with this method
>it doesn't even affect the story in any meaningful way
>it's literally just a nice bit of lore about why men and women channelers must cooperate instead of fight

Ok then.

>it doesn't even affect the story in any meaningful way
You fucking faggot it was a cheap Deus Ex to restore Logain's ability to channel.

Logain channeling or not doesn't change a fucking thing in the long run.

It doesn't matter whether it effects the plot majorly, the fact is that it was a cheap Deus Ex pulled out of his ass. If you can't admit the quality of the series dropped after the first 5-6 books I have some news for you.

>If you can't admit the quality of the series dropped after the first 5-6 books I have some news for you.

Top kek, it is common fucking knowledge that the book decline sharply after book 6, you didn't discover anything new.

Why DID the quality decline so fast after book 6 though?

Would the ending have been better if Erikson had done it instead of Sanderson? I think so.

Because Jordan originally planned to tell the story in three or five books but got pushed by his publishing house and his editor/wife to stretch it across more books because it was selling well and they wanted to squeeze more shekels out of it.

How are the Night Angel books?
I know I shouldn't be judging books by their covers but it looks like edgy teen stuff.

Malazan Book of the Fallen, Toll the Hounds. Just got to the part where Mallet, Bluepearl, and the others all died.

He added more and more perspectives and just started treading water. One group would be on some kind of quest and would need time to get to their destination, but in the mean time everybody else was forced to sit on their hands. Almost as if they were waiting for somebody's turn to end before they could move. He also started cramming in more and more trivial information by book 5 I'd say. Stuff that definitely did not need to be in the story. I was pretty forgiving when I was reading the series initially because I'd learned from book 1 that a lot of seemingly irrelevant stuff could be foreshadowing or world building, but in retrospect I now realize it really was just fluff.

Book Eight is a weird one. I get this impression that Erikson's editors just stopped trying to reign him in at that point because the end was in sight. It's the only way I can explain how self indulgent parts of the novel feel compared to the earlier books.

Because if he wrote at his full prose capability all the time of would lose its impact.

He does go all out in a few of his short stories though. "Empires of Flora and Fauna", "Golden City Far", and "The Death of Doctor Island" to name a few.

Maybe you just like Horn better?

Lmao what the fuck is full prose capability? Care to cite some passages?

More like he just can't keep that up for a full novel. Because it's fucking hard to make every single paragraph of a full length novel shine. Even Joseph Conrad's prose takes a break now and then.

The book is good but Horn is one of the worst pieces of shit protagonists I have encountered, like seriously.

>and then I made friends with a literal devil
>well ok maybe I kind of raped her?
>WAAAH POOR WRETCHED ME SILK WOULD HAVE DONE SO MUCH BETTER!

Yo I found this in another thread why the fuck is Discworld not on this

Memes aside, what makes BotNS good? I read it twice already, and many times more if I could all the separate chapters I read once in a while.
I just enjoy it a lot, but I can't really explain what I like about it. Also my best friend also enjoys reading a lot and I literally can't shill BotNS to him. I know what to say about the book, but I can't make it sound compelling.

Also, any good, comfy videos on youtube on BotNS that I can listen to? Like discussions, reading, review, etc. I can say I'm addicted to it kek

about half way through, it's OK. Nothing too special. The beginning story of Brother Francis was really fantastic. but it seems to be going downhill from there..

What are some sci-fi or fantasy novels with giantesses? Preferably prominently featured.

Any fun or good novels that are over the top?

Like Fast and Furious building jump.
youtube.com/watch?v=xAiM8xR1CfM

A novel that's crazy fun.

So crazy that it's hilarious, or does it not translate to the written word very well?

Nanatsu no Taizai

I'm past half way done with Starship Troopers, really liking it although it's epistolary nature doesn't really describe the world it's in too much.
Like, droppods, how Earth looks city wise, the ships themselves, none are described too much. Really only the power armor is described, although this probably makes sense as Jonnny is a grunt, through and through.
Still wishing the world was described more

After this I'm reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell which came in the mail today

The spider plant cringed as its owner brought forth the watering can. "I am a spider plant!" it cried indignantly. "How dare you water me before my time! Guards!" it called. "Guards!"

Borin, its owner, placed the watering can on the table and looked at it. "You will be watered," he said.

"You do not dare to water me!" laughed the plant.

"You will be watered," said Borin.

"Do not water me!" wept the plant.

"You will be watered," said Borin.

I watched this exchange. Truly, I believed the plant would be watered. It was plant, and on Gor it had no rights. Perhaps on Earth, in its permissive society, which distorts the true roles of all beings, which forces both plant and waterer to go unh appy and constrained, which forbids the fulfillment of owner and houseplant, such might not happen. Perhaps there, it would not be watered. But it was on Gor now, and would undoubtedly feel its true place, that of houseplant. It was plant. It would be watered at will. Such is the way with plants.

Borin picked up the watering can, and muchly watered the plant. The plant cried out. "No, Master! Do not water me!" The master continued to water the plant. "Please, Master," begged the plant, "do not water me!" The master continued to water the plant. It was plant. It could be watered at will.

The plant sobbed muchly as Borin laid down the watering can. It was not pleased. Too, it was wet. But this did not matter. It was plant.

"You have been well watered," said Borin.

"Yes," said the plant, "I have been well watered." Of course, it could be watered by its master at will.

"I have watered you well," said Borin.

"Yes, master," said the plant. "You have watered your plant well. I am plant, and as such I should be watered by my master."

The cactus plant next to the spider plant shuddered. It attempted to cover its small form with its small arms and small needles. "I am plant," it said wonderingly. "I am of Earth, but for the first time, I feel myself truly plantlike. On Earth, I w as able to control my watering. I often scorned those who would water me. But they were weak, and did not see my scorn for what it was, the weak attempt of a small plant to protect itself. Not one of the weak Earth waterers would dare to water a plant if it did not wish it. But on Gor," it shuddered, "on Gor it is different. Here, those who wish to water will water their plants as they wish. But strangely, I feel myself most plantlike when I am at the mercy of a strong Gorean master, who may water m e as he pleases."

"I will now water you," said Borin, the cactus's Gorean master.

The cactus did not resist being watered. Perhaps it was realizing that such watering was its master's to control. Too, perhaps it knew that this master was far superior to those of Earth, who would not water it if it did not wish to be watered.

The cactus's watering had been finished. The spider plant looked at it.

"I have been well watered," it said.

"I, too, have been well watered," said the cactus.

"My master has watered me well," said the spider plant.

"My master, too, has watered me well," said the cactus.

"I am to be placed in a hanging basket on the porch," said the spider plant.

"I, too, am to be placed in a hnaging basket on the porch," said the cactus.

"I wish you well," said the spider plant.

"I, too, wish you well," said the cactus.

"Tal," said the spider plant.

"Tal, too," said the cactus.

I did not think that the spider plant would object to being watered by its master again. For it realized that it was plant, and that here, unlike on Earth, it was likely to be owned and watered by many masters.

But for real: the first seven books are OK if you liked John Carter of Mars, after that it's just BDSM erotica.

>after that it's just BDSM erotica.
can I just skip the first seven then

I actually liked how the bad guys in Thomas Covenant are just bad and terrible without either coming across as either cool or edgy.

It's when your prose is 100% capable

Like my dick is in your butt, right?

>after that it's just BDSM erotica.
So start at book 8, got it

Is stranger in a strange land good read?

Mid way through Theft of Swords, why is there so little magic?
Will there be more?

>Yo I found this in another thread
That's weird seeing as I only post it in this general....

>why the fuck is Discworld not on this
I said time and time again, I only recommend books that I myself read. If someone tells me about a book, I read it then rec if it's good.

Also
>reading anything by an Author with Terry somewhere within their name
Weren't you warned to stay away from Terrys' when you started this genre?

GRI Approved and it's fun. You remember fun right?
Also it is slightly anime if you into that.

>book with swords in the title
>expecting magic

What the actual fuck? You haven't read Discworld and you have the audacity to say "stay away from Terrys"? Just because Goodkind is a psychopathic edgelord doesn't mean you should shit on Pratchett.

Get started on Discworld now. They're not even long books.

Can anybody fill me in as to what happened last thread? I just posted once and when I came back it was gone.

Mods purged it because some babies got butthurt they didn't have their hugbox all to themselves anymore

People started discussing politics or incest or something. It was annoying because nobody answered my question about Snow Crash, so I ended up making a thread.

People in this general read 10 pages and use that as a measure if a book is shit or not. If I read 2 Terrys and they were both shit, you think i will read the third?

Not wasting my time with him, or his 30+ books.

It's a yes, no answer.

he was using magic all along

Alright what is going on in this picture? I see it so much but it just looks like some desiccated, naked dwarves?

You really thought the first two books were shit? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Spoil me more

Not him but I read like 5 pages of Small Gods and couldn't go further. The writing style is really annoying, like the writer thinking he's being really witty and funny constantly when it's just cringey.

It's Shaeönanra (PBUH) in his soul trapping mechanism.

We answered you and told you both were shit. Not our fault that you wanted us to write a thesis on why it was shit.

Pol sleeper agents got triggered and went off on a tirade about slavery not being a bad thing and what ever else they post about in pol. Trump's name got mentioned and the thread devolved from there.

I don't understand how pol comes in here, to a fucking fantasy general, and expects shit to be an echo chamber for their ideologies.

No it would be too much of a spoiler(you wound't need to/ want to finish the series). Let's just say everything becomes clear in the third book.

>and expects shit to be an echo chamber for their ideologies.

All fantasy books must jam left wing ideology down our throats otherwise they'd be pol

lel

>what is reading comprehension

I'm getting a feeling you are a redshitor with your emphasis on me reading Pratchett.

Also I said I read books by the 2 other Terrys. I'm not touching Pratchett. The no Terry rule has worked wonderfully so far.

I won't spoil it but you will understand Krait a little better by the end of the trilogy. He did rape Seawrack but she is a siren and her song drives men literally mad. I'll give you the third point.

>Rape
>Ever okay

wow

>cringey
Not surprising that someone who enjoys using this word can't appreciate Goodkind's humor. There's a site you should go to, it has a little alien as a mascot.

>Also I said I read books by the 2 other Terrys. I'm not touching Pratchett. The no Terry rule has worked wonderfully so far.
This is the most retarded rule I have ever heard of, and that's saying something. Get the fuck out of my thread.

Is the Gateway series by Frederik Pohl any good?

I like the premise of the first novel, but it seems like the sequels just keep spinning off into completely different directions.

You mean the site whose favorite author is this Goodkind of yours? Maybe you should join your CRINGEY friends.

>le epic cringe xD!
What the fuck is your problem? We're talking about the Discworld series. How ABYSMAL is your fucking taste that you only think in terms of "cringe factor"?

>le epic cringe xD!
>"cringe factor"
Who are you quoting?

You, you Goodkind-loving piece of shit.

>Goodkind
I read goodkind when I was an edgy fifteen year old that fucking ate up bad fantasy, and I couldn't stomach him. I was actually a little offended when I found out he was getting a tv show. The guy's obnoxious.

I'd rather lose my dick then have taste so bad where I could read and enjoy that trite.

magic interstellar drive randomly teleports ship to location which triggers latent romantic PTSD associations in the skipper's mind.

>that trite.
>being this incompetent at English
No wonder you don't "get" Pratchett.

Mein nigger

Ngl, I got a bit weepy eyed at the end.

A good answer, but I am already familiar with it and it is a manga. Any other suggestions?

FFS. I just started reading toll of the hounds. Damnit.

WTF!!!

Are you making that up