Can someone give me the mathematical formula that explains how a chunk of wood can withstand the impact of 3500 pounds...

Can someone give me the mathematical formula that explains how a chunk of wood can withstand the impact of 3500 pounds of metal moving at 35+ mph?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumple_zone
m.youtube.com/watch?v=QC8jnSaCqxY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because cars are designed to do that you dumbfuck

T > C

where T is the strength of the tree and C is the strength of the car

because it's not just 3500 pounds of wood, it's the root system beneath. They can extend like 30 feet

The engine block is solid iron and is not meant to crumple dummy

Well, let's assume the modulus of elasticity of wood is around 12 GPa. Looks like the diameter for that tree is about 0.70 meters. So the cross sectional area of the trunk is about 0.385 m^2. Assuming pure shear, then it would take 4.6*10^9 newtons of force to break, or 1.038 billion pounds.

o i m laffin

>1.038 billion pounds

wRong. They were able to cut down a tree with bullets and they don't hit with anything close to that amount.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=QC8jnSaCqxY

SAD!

>I don't understand the concept of material stress: the post
Also green lumber has an enormous modulus of toughness, so it can absorb huge amounts of impact energy without damage.

tree is dense, car is not.

I love when someone comments thinking that their wit and obvious observation is enough to quell an argument, and then someone comes up with proof for what they say and blow this person away. Fucking idiot, of course cars are designed to crumple in the case of an accident.

Don't be a shitlord on this board

/b/

>gets rekt
>says he should go to /b/

Veeky Forums is an 18+ only board.

>purposely crash car
>it doesnt crumple

What is wrong with you

OP fucking butt blasted

[math]\tau=\frac{V}{A}[/math]

Be thankful this is just regular shitposting and not /pol/ shitposting.

Can someone give the mathematical formula that explains how jet fuel can melt steel beams?

That's all, folks

Not sure, but I bet adding your dense skull to the vehicle's weight would let you uproot trees no problem

Tone it down a bit Mortimer.

>engine block is solid iron
not in this century, Grandpa

I really really really enjoyed this

you think that frame can be straightened?

>OP doesn't have a rear crumple zone and has to be buttblasted now
sucks to be you OP

roots innit

Develop your hypothesis