Fondant on cakes, yay or nay? Do you bake cakes? What's your favorite cakes?

Fondant on cakes, yay or nay? Do you bake cakes? What's your favorite cakes?

>yay
it's "yea or nay" you filthy ignoramus

>Fondant
Fondant fucking sucks every single time I've ever had it. Fuck fondant.

i prefer fondant over every other icing so yay

>terribly sweet
>tastes like nothing, just sweet. not even "sugar sweet" but just bland, boring sweet
>sticks to everything when a little bit humid
>is just for looks
>fondant is just a cheap tactics to make shitty cakes look delicious

Marzipan >>>>>> fondant

I think fondant has its place as a way to make "edible" designs and fixtures on a cake. Using it in place of frosting though, like OP pic, is awful.

When is it necessary to make designs and fixtures if it adds nothing to the taste of the cake?

when the cake is meant to be a visually impressive centerpiece and not just desert

This!

Though I do like making all sorts of different frostings and icings.

Usually for spongecakes, I like making fresh fruit infused whipped cream frosting. Then topping with variations of fresh fruit (in season)

Look up the 7 minute icing, easy to make and can create any flavor profile by using any flavor extract, or even incorporating fruit compotes.

Fondant is a simple, sugar induced blanket to coat a cake or create frilly designs on top,with very little flavor to compliment a cake.

A cake is always a centerpiece, it is its main feature. "This is a celebration and to prove it we have cake here, look at how much of a cake it is!"
Thats why they tend to look impressive no matter what.
I think if you need to use fondant you sort of failed at making a good cake.

But...
It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake

"yay or neigh", you silly cow.

Then why isn't it "nea"

Checkm8

correct . especially the last one. fondant makes plebs go ''WOW YOURE SOOOOO GOOD AT CAKES''

sean bean

sheen been?

shawn bawn

pecan pie would be nice our carrot cake, pumpkin not to far off. don't really bake cakes. our blackberry cobbler would be nice. even some cheese cake.

7/10 would jiggle bowlful of jelly

Basic fondant is gross. If I'm going to put fondant on a cake I use marshmallow fondant, it's easy to make, much cheaper, and so delicious you can eat it by itself. I don't know why everybody doesn't use it. I suppose it might be vulnerable to heat which could be bad on a summer wedding.

>tfw you bite into fondant and feel the sugar scraping your teeth

I use it to make things like eyeballs and letters. Never the full cake.

Fondant is disgusting

Fondant is stupid. Just because something is technically edible doesn't mean it's ok to cover a whole cake with a layer you have to peel off to eat the cake. Fondant and other barely edible and nonedible materials should only be used in small features.

I made fondant once. I hope I fucked it up because it was like a strip of leathery marshmallow enveloped my cake.

fondant that covers the entire cake is a mortal sin.

>whipped cream frosting
correct. light, fluffy, balanced (not overly sweet) frostings are the best.
this is why black forest is objectively the best cake.

Fondant is the cheapest trick. Might as well use play-dough. Both are edible, and you're just sculpting anyway. Same goes for using rice crispy treat instead of cake. Impressive cakes are made by doing amazing things with the same media as regular cakes (cake and frosting). Using fondant and rice crispys is fucking cheating and only serves to impress utter plebs.

Will someone on Veeky Forums pls make me a nice fondant Iron Maiden cake? I don't care how it tastes because I'll only get to see a picture of it anyways.
Thx Veeky Forums